Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can any living human think that was anything other than an unmitigated disaster? The lighting was so terrible you couldn't even see Elon as he was talking. The baseball was embarrassing and would have been better to just skip entirely...or hell throw steel balls and break the windows again would have been better! Then the strange here's your car moments with random people nobody knows. They didn't even share the specs people care about because they knew it would not have gone over well. Hell look at Elon's expression he knows this is a disaster.

How can any living human think that was anything other than an unmitigated disaster? The lighting was so terrible you couldn't even see Elon as he was talking. The baseball was embarrassing and would have been better to just skip entirely...or hell throw steel balls and break the windows again would have been better! Then the strange here's your car moments with random people nobody knows. They didn't even share the specs people care about because they knew it would not have gone over well. Hell look at Elon's expression he knows this is a disaster.
The wait time for the event to start was longer than the event itself! 🤣

Show me a more capable, faster, and better handling truck for less money.

That's a bold challenge and one no-one can take you up on because the CT isn't in the hands of real pickup users yet to determine capability and handling.

In the past, the hype from Tesla has repeatedly shown it can't be trusted. Eventually (six months from now or more) we'll be able to answer you. My guess is that your 'less money' comment is what will have people lining up to show you better options. The Beast may win hands down the 'capable' part of your challenge, but it loses on cost. The AWD CT appears to be slower than others on the market.

The Rivian R1T is quicker (3.1 sec 0 - 60 as opposed to 4.1 AWD CT) and same top speed. Same towing capacity.

(Sources: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/how-fast-is-a-rivian-r1t-2022-rivian-r1t-yearlong-review/ and Tesla Announces Final Cybertruck Specs and Pricing Across Trim Levels )

That's a bold challenge and one no-one can take you up on because the CT isn't in the hands of real pickup users yet to determine capability and handling.

In the past, the hype from Tesla has repeatedly shown it can't be trusted. Eventually (six months from now or more) we'll be able to answer you. My guess is that your 'less money' comment is what will have people lining up to show you better options. The Beast may win hands down the 'capable' part of your challenge, but it loses on cost. The AWD CT appears to be slower than others on the market.

The Rivian R1T is quicker (3.1 sec 0 - 60 as opposed to 4.1 AWD CT) and same top speed. Same towing capacity.

(Sources: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/how-fast-is-a-rivian-r1t-2022-rivian-r1t-yearlong-review/ and Tesla Announces Final Cybertruck Specs and Pricing Across Trim Levels )
100%, this. ^^^^

Don't know if this is the best place, but tallying up open questions here:

-no longer a 6 seater?
-no tailgate ramp? You can add a ladder for $400.
-dynamic height adjustment? (Rear was supposed to drop when loading)
-amphibious?
-different colors based on heating the steel? Black matte available or no?
-on-board air compressor?
-what class is the hitch and what is the tongue rating? Or is the hitch an add-on?
-ATV is gone?
-quad motor gone?

Did this get axed?

Did this get axed?

Upper laser blade lights were supposed to come standard. Axed?

We are coming up on 8 years since Musk referred to 350 kW charging as "child's play." CT is rated for 250 kW?

What happened here?

1:53 - "At Tesla, we always want to have the production car be better than the show car."
-Elon Musk

Last edited:
Don't know if this is the best place, but tallying up open questions here:

-no longer a 6 seater?
-no tailgate ramp? You can add a ladder for $400.
-dynamic height adjustment? (Rear was supposed to drop when loading)
-amphibious?
-different colors based on heating the steel? Black matte available or no?
-on-board air compressor?
-what class is the hitch and what is the tongue rating? Or is the hitch an add-on?
-ATV is gone?
-quad motor gone?

Did this get axed?

Did this get axed?

Upper laser blade lights were supposed to come standard. Axed?

We are coming up on 8 years since Musk referred to 350 kW charging as "child's play.". CT is rated for 250 kW?

What happened here?

1:53 - "At Tesla, we always want to have the production car to be better than the show car."
-Elon Musk

Nice, "Never let the facts ruin a good story," right?!

Reactions: DarkandStormy
From what I have read (on this side of the Atlantic), there's admiration for the gutsy design and its road presence,
although few realize that the CT will not be streetlegal in Europe.
Why not, but European's aren't as truck crazy as US people. Besides, I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess as to when one of these would be shipped overseas anywhere.

To each....
I totally get all the hate and skepticism for the Cybertruck. I'm probably never owning one, so it's not like I was a big fan or anything. But what made me take notice are things like the 48V low voltage system that enables a robust steer by wire system front and back (among other things), apparently next level thermal management (the Hagerty video repeatedly did the quarter mile from 70% to 30% SOC and the last run was only 0.3s longer than the first and the truck never overheated), and the "exo-skeleton" actually being functional (don't know about frontal impact but looked impressive for side impact).

Anyway, the Cybertruck is probably not for me, but a lot of the underlying stuff is pretty exciting to me if/when they make it to other Tesla models.

My grandfather was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds way long ago as a pitcher. Very sad to see Franz throw like a girl as he lofted softball like throws at the truck. It's not the shot put brother. Really should have brought in a real MLB pitcher. Somehow I think 101 with a real baseball would have broken it.

Fire the lighting people.

Rocks won't be a problem. Elon I am sending you the bill for the first windshield.

So much for product launch of the year. Who was smoking what when they did that. Seems like Elon was more excited about the video show and the millions spent on it.
I tried really hard not to say "throws like a girl", but you said it, so the cat is out of the bag. Having said that, many girls can really throw a ball now, and many guys throw like the girls of yesterday. I'm old enough where I grew up with that saying, and it is hard to ditch.

You don’t get it, do you @Pants. All of Elons presentations are scripted to have the Hollywood high moments. Of course, that was a planned one including what they did it this time using baseball. It is part of larger script of ‘product remembrance’. Do you remember a product called EQE SUV that was launched by Merc. You don’t and it cost £30000 more than Cybertruck and no one will remember that.
I get it completely, and unlike you I don’t wear rose tinted glasses when looking at Musk and Tesla. I think Musk’s presentation skills are toe curlingly awful. Here’s a quote from Electrec:

“And overall, the presentation at the event was just underwhelming (you can view a recording of our live-react watch party here). Not only was the event almost half an hour late and poorly lit, but Tesla CEO Elon Musk showed off his standard poor presentation skills (which have been getting worse lately with his Twitter distraction, prompting questions from investors). Worse, some cool Cybertruck features weren’t even mentioned – like Powershare bidirectional charging, which lets you run your home, camp, or another vehicle off of the Cybertruck’s battery.

Tesla even did a repeat of its window strength testing stunt from the original Cybertruck unveiling, but it pointlessly used a lobbed baseball instead of a steel ball.

All of this has led to a lot of disappointment among order holders – and made room for competing electric trucks now that we finally know answers to questions that have loomed large over the segment for years now.”

Obviously you’ll disagree because the journalist has the temerity to be critical.

Tesla delivered the first Cybertrucks yesterday to a lukewarm reaction, given revelations on its specs, pricing, and availability. But Tesla’s miss might be other EV truck makers’ gain, as the big question marks on Cybertruck have been answered disappointingly.

At the original Cybertruck unveiling, Tesla said the truck would start at $39,900, be available in late 2021, have a payload of 3,500 pounds in a 6.5-foot bed, and a tow rating of up to 14,000 pounds max range of 500+ miles for the top-end version (which was meant to start at $69,900).

As of yesterday, we know that none of those numbers are true. The truck starts at $79,990 today (and $60,990 in 2025), has a payload of 2,500 pounds in a 6-foot bed, a tow rating of up to 11,000 pounds, and a range of 340 miles, or 470 with an additional battery that eats up a chunk of your bed space.

• Love
Reactions: Pants and jebinc

Tesla delivered the first Cybertrucks yesterday to a lukewarm reaction, given revelations on its specs, pricing, and availability. But Tesla’s miss might be other EV truck makers’ gain, as the big question marks on Cybertruck have been answered disappointingly.

At the original Cybertruck unveiling, Tesla said the truck would start at $39,900, be available in late 2021, have a payload of 3,500 pounds in a 6.5-foot bed, and a tow rating of up to 14,000 pounds max range of 500+ miles for the top-end version (which was meant to start at $69,900).

As of yesterday, we know that none of those numbers are true. The truck starts at $79,990 today (and $60,990 in 2025), has a payload of 2,500 pounds in a 6-foot bed, a tow rating of up to 11,000 pounds, and a range of 340 miles, or 470 with an additional battery that eats up a chunk of your bed space.
Four more similar articles here in this post - all less than 24 hours old.

Reactions: mspohr
Did people seriously expect they were going to launch with 2018 40k pricing? Prices are exactly in line with what I had expected...
Well, the new pricing is substantially above the pre-launch pricing (even accounting for inflation... and also for the much cheaper cost of batteries).
Rivian honored the pre-launch pricing and Tesla has honored it for other vehicles.
I guess they figured with that many reservations they could charge whatever they wanted.
We'll see how many reservations evaporate in the face of the real world pricing and somewhat disappointing specs.