Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

630hp Porsche Macan EV Turbo vs Elon - will he rev up Model Y to beat, or just chill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
I’m sure you guys have read about the up and coming Porsche Macan EV, what do you think Elon will do to compete with this? Don’t tell me you can compare the two, one is double the money etc. you can, and people will!

Yes, the Porsche is about 1000 pounds heavier. Is that amazing interior that heavy?! ;)

Yes I realize it’s got the wrong charging plug, it needs NACS and that should be next year.

I’m sure it handles well and feels great, and will definitely stand out in the crowd being a Porsche.

But I’m wondering… how much untapped potential is there in the model Y performance?

The Macan has that gimmicky launch mode and push-to-pass button, but I’m sure that’s a bit of fun. 0-60 n 3.1 and topping out at 161mph, what a little beast of an SUV!

If this is a duplicate thread, my bad, I’ll copy it over to the pre-existing one if need be.

Attachments

• IMG_2271.jpeg
    IMG_2271.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jigglypuff
That's not what Tesla does. They do their own thing. Others react to Tesla.

That's not what Tesla does. They do their own thing. Others react to Tesla.
Not completely. Do you remember when the Taycan Turbo S edged out the P100DL+ ? The Porsche came up short in range but the German car gave it a good run in many ways. Driving dynamics, fit and finish, that interior, the lack of space…oops, well, it does have some nice features, and charging is pretty fast.

Tesla answered with the Plaid the following year and has been on top ever since.

https://youtu.be/2Fg-P4FNS7s?si=WbVZYMNTWjs8mEO_

True, but they do compete. Plaid vs Taycan:

“Crucially for bragging rights, the Taycan beat the Tesla Model S Plaid's time of 7:25.23 by nearly 20 seconds. Porsche also notes that Kern's lap times were almost exactly identical, which suggests that the electric drivetrain delivers repeatable performance even when pushed hard.Jan 2, 2024”

And people track the Y as well, which is amazingly capable with considerable mods from Mountain Pass Performance. It even beat a 911 GT3! Yes, we took our Model Y to a time attack event. It was fast.

True, but they do compete. Plaid vs Taycan:

“Crucially for bragging rights, the Taycan beat the Tesla Model S Plaid's time of 7:25.23 by nearly 20 seconds. Porsche also notes that Kern's lap times were almost exactly identical, which suggests that the electric drivetrain delivers repeatable performance even when pushed hard.Jan 2, 2024”

And people track the Y as well, which is amazingly capable with considerable mods from Mountain Pass Performance. It even beat a 911 GT3! Yes, we took our Model Y to a time attack event. It was fast.
That Y in the post you referenced was pretty heavily modified. Model Y is really a value play. Porsche is luxury and the price starts at 2-3 times that of Model Y. They are both EV SUVs; that’s where the similarities stop, imo. They look like two different markets to me.

That Y in the post you referenced was pretty heavily modified. Model Y is really a value play. Porsche is luxury and the price starts at 2-3 times that of Model Y. They are both EV SUVs; that’s where the similarities stop, imo. They look like two different markets to me.
It's more for sure. The 402HP Macan EV is $99,300, not quite double the base model y. They are two different markets but I think people will cross shop them, and I'll bet some will trade their performance y in on a Macan. I've never driven a Macan but a friend of mine says I don't know what I'm missing, they're a lot of fun to drive. I'm just so deep into the EV world I don't know if I could go back to another gas powered car. I love my wife's MYLR, it's a great machine. I wish it had homelink but I'm thinking of adding an MyQ box to our garage door openers to get that auto door opener to work like it does with my S.

That’s more than double the base Model Y (which is now about 40k). And Porsche pricing isn’t real; you can’t buy a car from them w/o quite a few additional items not included in their base price. Once you option out the car I’d expect to spend a lot more $.
The prices I quoted were Canadian funds. :)

Anyway, we’re getting off topic, what I was wondering is what will Tesla do to compete with the 630HP EV turbo? Will it introduce ludicrous mode and add 100 hp?

We’re living in some great times!

Reactions: mborkow
Macan will probably be fabulous. But keep in mind it's a Porsche and it'll be priced accordingly. Tesla could and probably will "do" something to keep the Y competitive, but in the end market forces will probably constrain Tesla a bit. Especially at the highest "Turbo" trim level, the new Macan is almost certainly going to be shockingly more expensive than a Y. The problem is that the media seldom give price differences between roughly comparable vehicles much importance - when the Lucid Sapphire tested a hair faster than a Plaid that's all you heard about, ignoring that the Lucid is almost $150,000 more.
That said, the Y performance is no slouch, and I'm sure it will be improved when the Highland-level update of the Y takes place.

Reactions: easyev
Macan will probably be fabulous. But keep in mind it's a Porsche and it'll be priced accordingly. Tesla could and probably will "do" something to keep the Y competitive, but in the end market forces will probably constrain Tesla a bit. Especially at the highest "Turbo" trim level, the new Macan is almost certainly going to be shockingly more expensive than a Y. The problem is that the media seldom give price differences between roughly comparable vehicles much importance - when the Lucid Sapphire tested a hair faster than a Plaid that's all you heard about, ignoring that the Lucid is almost $150,000 more.
That said, the Y performance is no slouch, and I'm sure it will be improved when the Highland-level update of the Y takes place.
Good points thank you. You're right on the price that's for sure. You're right I had no idea The Sapphire was $150,000 more!

I wonder why Porsche limits max power only available in push to pass and launch modes? How does Tesla offer full power without limiting duty cycle, or do they?

I hopped onto Porsche Canada's configurator and the Macan Turbo is around C$140k plus options:

Model Overview Macan | Porsche Car Configurator

Pls note, Canadian dollars below:

Macan EV.png

It'd take a significant battery change to get 618 HP from a Model 3/Y battery. It's doable, though.
The Model Y doesn't need more power. It needs better suspension. A stiffer body that creaks less. More quality control. A better human interface with some more physical buttons. More comfy seats. To name a few things.

The Macan will fix everything on the Model Y and then some, but it'll cost too much. Porsche makes money hand over fist. Good luck getting a Macan EV for sticker anytime soon. It's gonna be a major seller.

Reactions: easyev
I've never driven a Macan but a friend of mine says I don't know what I'm missing, they're a lot of fun to drive. I'm just so deep into the EV world I don't know if I could go back to another gas powered car.
@easyev I think your friend doesn't know what they are missing with actual fun to drive cars. Does your friend only drive crossovers?

A 2021 Macan I test drove was so boring I got pissed at myself when I made a wrong turn on my way back to the dealer and had to drive it a couple extra minutes.

I'm sure the new Macan EV will be better though.

• Funny
Reactions: easyev and ChadS
It'd take a significant battery change to get 618 HP from a Model 3/Y battery. It's doable, though.
The Model Y doesn't need more power. It needs better suspension. A stiffer body that creaks less. More quality control. A better human interface with some more physical buttons. More comfy seats. To name a few things.

The Macan will fix everything on the Model Y and then some, but it'll cost too much. Porsche makes money hand over fist. Good luck getting a Macan EV for sticker anytime soon. It's gonna be a major seller.
I like the seats and agree that the power is fine. A little less fall off at 60 mph would be nice though.
I'm 100% behind a stiffer body structure. This is far more important than most people realize.
I put street ohlins coilovers with a higher rate rear spring at factory MYP height. It handles and rides amazing. A suspension that actually works would satisfy most of the complaints about the car.

Reactions: Jigglypuff