Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what world you live on, but this is not the consensus. It was a DISASTROUS FLOP. At least with the CT reveal the glass breaking turned into a massive PR gold mine and lots of fun memes. You can't plan that kind of thing.

The decision to demonstrate the strength of the windows with a baseball (?) - and that ball weakly thrown - instead of the original steel ball was downright embarrassing.

The decision to demonstrate the strength of the windows with a baseball (?) - and that ball weakly thrown - instead of the original steel ball was downright embarrassing.

"Joe Rogans arrow' and the "Tommy Gun" were impressive.

I guess we don't talk about those too much because it worked.

People don't normally like success stories. They don't get the blood pressure up high enough.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc

People don't normally like success stories. They don't get the blood pressure up high enough.
Of course, real world use requires safety from stray arrows and bullets - as long as they are not shot thru the glass.... 🤣

Beyond embarrassing - can't believe Elon thought he could pull that off with the audience. Must think everyone is a stupid fool..... Oh, wait....
Would've legitimately been better off not doing anything like that at all and just quietly hoping people would forget about that whole incident.

I don't think customers would have been really phased that the window can't take a steel ball hitting it, but having Franz meekly throw a plushy baseball at it - as if to suggest "look, we fixed it" - is just silly. Pure hubris on Elon's part not to admit that he couldn't deliver on that (self imposed) requirement.

At what cost though? How much range does that completely irrelevant s**t cost actual end customers? When you have to stop to charge 50-100 miles earlier than you might otherwise have been able to will you be thinking "gee I sure am glad my car will deflect bullets and arrows"?

It's completely dumb anyway because all anyone firing a Tommy gun, or indeed perhaps an arrow, would have to do is aim for a window, or the tyres.

Reactions: B@ndit and jebinc
I actually thought it was pretty lame. A pre-made video with a lot of production value, and then a bunch of unknown people getting into CTs.

Elon was standing in the dark for a bit of it -- pretty amateur, if you ask me.

Oh, and Franz gently throwing a baseball at a window. BFD.

And I really wouldn't call this a 'launch'... It was a 'delivery event'.

I've been to several other Tesla reveal/launch/delivery events and this one was the most lame.
Franz doesn't know how to throw a ball either, lol.

But what I want to know .... is when the next 12 cyber trucks will be ready. I get the feeling these 12 are beta testers, like the handful of Semis in the hands of Frito-lay.
Right. The next batch or two, or three will go to shills and influencers.... It may be a (long) while before we see "unbiased" reports from the "average "oe" owner...

My grandfather was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds way long ago as a pitcher. Very sad to see Franz throw like a girl as he lofted softball like throws at the truck. It's not the shot put brother. Really should have brought in a real MLB pitcher. Somehow I think 101 with a real baseball would have broken it.

Fire the lighting people.

Rocks won't be a problem. Elon I am sending you the bill for the first windshield.

So much for product launch of the year. Who was smoking what when they did that. Seems like Elon was more excited about the video show and the millions spent on it.

I feel like if you're going to talk a big game about those kinds of things, you have to deliver. No one except Elon decided the glass needed to withstand steel balls, it was a spec requirement he dreamt up one day. But be that as it may if you're going to say it - you need to deliver, or if you can't at least come out and say that you've "reconsidered and it would add too much weight", or whatever.

Just trying to dupe people with softball throws instead is ignominious.

I do wonder too whether we're going to see people shooting at these things because Elon has said they can take it. :(

That was totally Elon's fault. He wasn't standing on the proper cue. And his eyes were out of the spot so he could see the audience -- a very natural reaction for an AMATUER!!

Somebody (Kimball?) should have jumped up and pulled him left 4".
Product launch of year should have movable lighting people.

• Love
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Sandy Mono mentioned that they deleted to built in loading ramps because they weighed too much and would hurt range.

Not unusual for a production vehicle to not be as good as the concept. The current Cybertruck represents reality. The original pricing and range represented fantasy.

Reactions: jebinc
Right. The next batch or two, or three will go to shills and influencers.... It may be a (long) while before we see "unbiased" reports from the "average "oe" owner...
They actually posted a video of the real Cybertruck assembly area and production line. They just need to start it up and slowly ramp up production as they get their act together.
Those that wanted fantacy pricing and fantacy specs will cancel their order and get their $ back. This will simply move up into line those who find the reality product as desirable and worth the cost.
Show me a more capable, faster, and better handling truck for less money.