Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber(nota)truck even more Not a truck than I first thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thing is looking more and more like a young man's toy and nota truck.
I think the rollaway bed (Notavault, the only vaults I know with water in them have dead people in them) cover is one of the greatest fails in bedcovers that I have ever noticed. I expect that thing to be more negative as owners have to deal with it. And it ain't a damn tonneau cover. Look it up if you think you know I am wrong. Elon calls a turd a jewel and so many fools start making turd jewelry.
It was a royal f-up for God Elon to think that something that has more moving parts than the rest of the vehicle would be good.
I expressed some concerns that the rollaway door would be waterproof early on. And no one agreed with me. Several "sources" scoffed at the idea that it would leak.
The whole rollaway bed cover is a fail. It stops the bed from being useful to store stuff in because it isn't even going to protect it from the rain. It can't be used in true "Tesla camp mode" because the geniuses engineered it so there is no way to sleep in it. It isn't set up to get the HVAC into it. And if it did have HVAC going to it the air would leak out through the idiotic rollaway bedcover. And even if someone did then they'd really think they were in a coffin once they closed the rollaway lid. It would be dangerous... imagine having to get out of it in a hurry....and is there a manual crank for the bedcover? Think about it. Elon didn't.
It'd be best to think it was engineered to be a turd on wheels except for all the sharp edges.
So the score card is:
First Roadster Hard fail
Model 3 Great EV. Strong on the E not so not on the V. It is butt ugly, and looks like... an average car with duck lips.
Model X Niche product (And our second sign that elon's mind and staff cannot design a car for functionality.
Model S. A success in all things hidden. And an acceptable body in both function and look.
Cyber(nota)truck... So much good research and engineering that would be great for any car, but not a damn thing special in the truck area, especially considering functionality. Anyone getting a Cyber(nota)truck does not get a truck. It is a play toy. A thing to get so people will look at you. Anything that is great about it would be "great" in any previous or future car...not a truck.
Repeatedly the design teams at Tesla fail to deliver. Everything great about Tesla vehicles is done on the engineering side. Mainly electrical engineering and software.
When separating the drivetrain and software from the rest of the vehicles it is obvious.
Tesla has not excelled or even lead by any degree when it comes to physical design and functionality. period.

Considering 99% of trucks sold do not include a cover, just leave the Cybertruck cover open and it's the same as most other trucks as far as the bed. Never heard of any other truck providing HVAC to the truck bed. I've never heard of anyone at Tesla suggesting you live inside the bed either. Tesla does have a camper option, but it only works with the cover open. If you hate the Cybertruck, buy something else. Maybe you can find your dream vehicle with a covered bed that offers HVAC and all the comforts of a home with a 2-foot high ceiling. Living in the truck bed is not a design goal of any pickup truck I've heard about, and certainly not the Cybertruck. You can live inside the Cybertruck cabin, as the rear floor is flat and with the seats up provides a nice HVAC-controlled area you could sleep in. Not sure any other pickup offers that option as most (all?) have a tunnel bump.

Considering 99% of trucks sold do not include a cover, just leave the Cybertruck cover open and it's the same as most other trucks as far as the bed. Never heard of any other truck providing HVAC to the truck bed. I've never heard of anyone at Tesla suggesting you live inside the bed either. Tesla does have a camper option, but it only works with the cover open. If you hate the Cybertruck, buy something else. Maybe you can find your dream vehicle with a covered bed that offers HVAC and all the comforts of a home with a 2-foot high ceiling. Living in the truck bed is not a design goal of any pickup truck I've heard about, and certainly not the Cybertruck. You can live inside the Cybertruck cabin, as the rear floor is flat and with the seats up provides a nice HVAC-controlled area you could sleep in. Not sure any other pickup offers that option as most (all?) have a tunnel bump.
You babble like the undead of the Elon Army. It is NOT other trucks that Tesla/Elon showcased four years ago. Elon and Tesla created a stainless still shard of a turd.
IF I am going to leave the bed open all the time then don't make me pay for the $Xk. And don't make me tote around the crappy 300(?) extra pounds. And DO give me a basic slide window that has been on pretty much EVERY truck, and I'll buy a camper wedge and make it 10X better than the Swiss cheese, roll-across, debris-catching POS that does NOT do anything. Oh "but I can stand on it." Is Not a virtue. I can stand on any turd.
Now let's not discuss the complete failure of Tesla to deliver on any of the solid numbers they said they were going to give us in that vehicle. They failed on towing, they failed on seating, they failed on pricing, they failed on range...they just did not "fail" They sucked azz.
And now you want to say, "But Covid is the reason the consumer is being gouged." First, come on man, Elon gouges everyone willing to pay for the privilege. And all the Elonlovers praise his bullcrap. "He is a smart businessman." There was no mention of, "I am going to stick it to the first hundred thousand people that reserve a Cyber(nota)truck." No Elon clearly had the world believe that the prices would be the prices. He knew when he said it the truck was going to be more than 2 years before the first one was going to be delivered. Are you telling me Elon did not consider the two years before the notatruck was going to be delivered> So the next 2 years if he added 10-15% he could be forgiven. Not a 60% increase. Gouging.
And the cost of business did not go up as much as Tesla's prices for the notatruck. And Covid gave Tesla engineers another two years to work on the battery performance...and they still came in WORSE than they said they'd do two years ago. And it gave the idiots two years to look at that stupid "answer" for a "tonneau cover," and figure out how to hide its shortcomings and the shortcomings it created in the rest of the notatruck. The bed of the notatruck is extremely limited BECAUSE of the "turdneau cover."
Elon fell in love with that turdneau cover...like he fell in love with the Lotus Elise frames that were a sad sack of elon's dream. And then the Falcon doors had to be put on the X because Elon wanted. And then the Turdneau cover. The worst of the worst was not doing anything to make the cyber(nota)truck a better truck by design. A rolltop, leaky, overweight garbage of a "vault" cover isn't an improvement.
All the actual "cool stuff" is what Tesla is going to incorporate into every other model they make. Nota Truck. It is a suck azz truck. A "Look how cool I am" possession. Not worthy of praise. Tesla so over-promised and under-delivered with this POS.
I am just flummoxed at the lack of effort Tesla's design teams put into this. To not have a passthrough window between the bed and the cabin was intentional. They must have not wanted people to use the bed. They must have known people would try and do SOMETHING with the bed. And they intentionally designed the window so it could not be used. Their decision reeks of Elon telling them to not allow any use of the "vault" because the rolltop desk cover leaks like a sieve.
But this is not someone else's turd. This is Elon at his worst. It is a falcon door from plastic bumper to bumper.
Elon needs to hire people that stand up to his dumb ideas. But he isn't that cool.

Elon never wanted to have this be a "truck." No manufacturer calls their truck a truck. Elon wanted to build this Cyberturd, and he figured by actually naming it a _____TRUCK that the public would see it as a truck. And "truck" people would buy it. It ain't a truck. It's an SUV with a big heavy, worthless, leaky roll top desk cover over the trunk.
It was a stunt to get truck people to buy his BS-mobile. He didn't try to build something for the people to go out backing in...no, that would mean he'd have designed it so we could sleep in it. He just through crap at the wall expecting it all to stick.

The OP is in left field but he‘s right. As far as trucks go this isn’t much of a truck, it’s a toy.
  • Can‘t reach over the side and get something out of the bed. The sides are too tall.
  • Can’t tow a 5th wheel, the sides of the bed would be damaged by the goose neck when turning.
  • Can’t get to a tool box in the front of the bed without climbing into the bed each time.
  • Aluminum and Stainless Steel are really soft materials for the bed of a truck.
  • Visibility when backing must be terrible. Yea it’s got cameras, but often a truck has a load in the back and the tailgate is down.
Be honest, if you want a truck to drive to the shopping mall. If you need to haul something once a year, maybe a Christmas tree. If you’re a girl and just like trucks. If you want to drive a truck because you have a small member. This is the truck for you.

Anyone who’s ever had a working truck knows what I’m talking about.

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1761.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, so much hate goes way beyond the Cybertruck. I've never seen a truck that works for every single person on the planet. If you have specific needs, find the truck for you. Nothing wrong with that. You ask for a lot of incompatible needs. If you use a 5th wheel - then sleeping in the bed is not going to work. If you want an easy-to-break-in slider rear window - good for you. Making inaccurate claims that every truck offers it doesn't help your rant.

Definition: A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. The Cybertruck fits that description.

Not sure what you're so unhappy about - you can't afford it? That so many people have ordered it? That it's performance is better than any other truck you can buy? That it is one of the safest vehicles you can buy? Do you work for a competitor, dealer, stock shorter, or oil company? Just hate in general? So many questions, so little understanding.

your write up is more about Elon hatred reeling into Tesla hatred. Hope your universe is bigger & larger so that you can laugh & fart wherever & whenever!
The Notatruck did not design itself. I limited my views to those associated directly with the notatruck. I did not "hate on" Elon or the Tesla engineers. Or Tesla as a company. And I do not hate Elon. But this truck is not a truck. It is the worst product since the original roadster, it is even worse than the solar roof.
It is not about me as a singular person, nor my opinion. I stated fact after fact that was done and showed up in the notatruck.
It's a shard of dung on wheels. It is stupid. It is piss poor in design. It is not a truck except in name. It is a big bulky car with a Leaky, rolltop, heavy expensive, poorly-designed, unrealistic trunk lid. And the trunk is so badly designed it is virtually unusable for anything that a normal trunk would be used. It sucks. Elon does not suck. But he's a showman "trying to save the Earth." And he believes he has all the answers, and when he doesn't he demands engineers find the answer he believes is right.
The cybernotatruck is a failure on just about every metric that was stated at the initial presentation.
One of the things done at that presentation describes exactly what has been done by Tesla over the last four years. And that was the lofting of the ball bearing at the bullet-proof (at that time) window. It was a complete failure... A lie exposed right before our eyes. And Tesla/Elon stated over and over that what happened only happened because they had repeatedly tested the window for that exact demonstration so many times they "micro-fractured" the edge before the demonstration. And over 4 years the narrative changed to...we can shoot the stainless steel, but the windows can stop some noise....and a foam ball thrown limply by the chief "designer."
The cyber vehicle is a failure in
Battery cost, density, and performance.
All the stated prices that reserves locked in.
Having a bed, or a "vault" as Tesla started calling it, that you could actually put your stuff in and it is "safe."
All the performance metrics except steering.

The insistence of that worthless "Oh look you can stand on it!" rolling door top screwed the vehicle up in so many other ways. Bit no one with sense stood up to Elon to not build such a turdck.

Wow, so much hate goes way beyond the Cybertruck. I've never seen a truck that works for every single person on the planet. If you have specific needs, find the truck for you. Nothing wrong with that. You ask for a lot of incompatible needs. If you use a 5th wheel - then sleeping in the bed is not going to work. If you want an easy-to-break-in slider rear window - good for you. Making inaccurate claims that every truck offers it doesn't help your rant.

Definition: A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. The Cybertruck fits that description.

Not sure what you're so unhappy about - you can't afford it? That so many people have ordered it? That it's performance is better than any other truck you can buy? That it is one of the safest vehicles you can buy? Do you work for a competitor, dealer, stock shorter, or oil company? Just hate in general? So many questions, so little understanding.
You are incorrect. The Manufacturer/designer of the CyberNOTAtruck fully intends for the vehicle to NOT have an open bed. So right away your self-chosen definition of a "pickup truck" is no longer correct. And that definition seems like it was devised solely for the Tag fees from your local tax office. Not a topic of discussion here. Go argue with the lady at booth number 6 now that your number has been called if you want to use that "definition...which is really just a classification, NOT a definition.
The cyberNOTAtruck is only a truck because Elon wants it to be called a truck. If he didn't force it on you, and you saw it going down the street for the first time you would NOT say, "Look at that truck."

When the Cybertruck was announced It would have 14k towing and 500 miles of range and 3500lb payload capacity on the top trim level. Which would most likely get you 200 miles of towing. It was supposed to weigh the same as an F 150 ICE. People placed their deposits based on that promise. Up until 8 to 9 months age people including influencers and the experts like Sandy Munro still believed it. Trucks were delivered with way less range less towing and less payload capacity. I'm not going to mention prices. So now that these Trucks are out they are being tested by people not working for Tesla. We are seeing what the capabilities really are and what the short comings of the Trucks are.

You are incorrect. The Manufacturer/designer of the CyberNOTAtruck fully intends for the vehicle to NOT have an open bed. So right away your self-chosen definition of a "pickup truck" is no longer correct. And that definition seems like it was devised solely for the Tag fees from your local tax office. Not a topic of discussion here. Go argue with the lady at booth number 6 now that your number has been called if you want to use that "definition...which is really just a classification, NOT a definition.
The cyberNOTAtruck is only a truck because Elon wants it to be called a truck. If he didn't force it on you, and you saw it going down the street for the first time you would NOT say, "Look at that truck."
It’s a truck… might not be a “work” truck but it’s a truck. Don’t like it don’t buy it… I’m sure there is an appropriate “truck” forum you can join and gush all over… but constantly posting on a CT forum after you’ve decided it’s not the “truck” for you just seems a bit foolish.

When the Cybertruck was announced It would have 14k towing and 500 miles of range and 3500lb payload capacity on the top trim level. Which would most likely get you 200 miles of towing. It was supposed to weigh the same as an F 150 ICE. People placed their deposits based on that promise. Up until 8 to 9 months age people including influencers and the experts like Sandy Munro still believed it. Trucks were delivered with way less range less towing and less payload capacity. I'm not going to mention prices. So now that these Trucks are out they are being tested by people not working for Tesla. We are seeing what the capabilities really are and what the short comings of the Trucks are.
Couple clicks on the Tesla website will get you your $250 back if you’ve made the decision this truck ain’t for you!

The OP is in left field but he‘s right. As far as trucks go this isn’t much of a truck, it’s a toy.
  • Can‘t reach over the side and get something out of the bed. The sides are too tall.
  • Can’t tow a 5th wheel, the sides of the bed would be damaged by the goose neck when turning.
  • Can’t get to a tool box in the front of the bed without climbing into the bed each time.
  • Aluminum and Stainless Steel are really soft materials for the bed of a truck.
  • Visibility when backing must be terrible. Yea it’s got cameras, but often a truck has a load in the back and the tailgate is down.
Be honest, if you want a truck to drive to the shopping mall. If you need to haul something once a year, maybe a Christmas tree. If you’re a girl and just like trucks. If you want to drive a truck because you have a small member. This is the truck for you.

Anyone who’s ever had a working truck knows what I’m talking about.

View attachment 1011184
You understand that the bed is no longer SS, right? This is the concept picture, not what is being delivered.

Reactions: walla2
Wow... It's a truck? That can't drive very far, can't haul more than about 100 miles, can't seem to charge, can't seem to make it up a 10% grade in snow, and CAN'T BE COMPETITIVE IN PRICE.

Truck does not equal:
1705948450672.png

Just like Wonder Woman does not equal:
1705948770040.png

I wish it were closer to the original specs but I will be cancelling my reservation. That Ram Charger is looking better all the time.

If you’re a girl and just like trucks.

That's extremely insulting to women with pick-ups.

A marketing executive from Chrysler once said that women want what men want from vehicles, and more.

if anything they'd be more focused on utility. They'll just buy a regular pick-up and spray it pink.*

* I've seen a pink Tacoma.

Just to be clear, if the CT is not a truck, neither are the F150L or the Rivian as it performs about the same as both of those.

It's a BEV issue at this point. Even if the CT had 500 miles of range, people would be complaining about only being able to tow >200 miles.

Many hoped that Tesla would overcome physics/drag, battery density, etc, but they did not.

Is any vehicle with a Bed a Truck? The Hyundai Santa Cruz is considered a Sport Adventure Vehicle with a Truck Bed. The Ford Maverick is considered a Truck Which one is more of a Truck? They both have Truck like capabilities. Tesla calls it a Truck I call it a lifestyle vehicle with a Bed.
It's absolutely a truck. It's odd to try to argue otherwise. It may not be a overly capable truck, but it's a truck. The Ridgeline is a truck...