Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber trucks are rusting….

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

coleAK

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
ok so my bachelors is in engineering (focused on materials) so I am fully aware that most stainless steels rust or at least stain. But will all the hype over the last 4 years about how tough and durable the CT SS body would be this seems a little ridiculous. There are “easy” ways to prevent or greatly delay rust and stains.

Make me think more and more the only real world testing they did was Elon rolling around SoCal.

Tesla Cybertrucks Are Rusting. There Are Fixes for That.
https://www.barrons.com/articles/tesla-cybertrucks-rusting-fixes-f10209fb?st=63m6ojp6dkgqggu

Why would you remove the rust? It helps hide the fingerprints. And the dents from bullets just make you look like a bad boy. Was getting ready to retrofit my cyber duck to a snowplow/salt spreader. I guess I’ll just have to drive it in the ocean then, no I can’t do that either. I guess I’ll just keep it in the garage. No, it won’t fit there. Forget it, I’ll buy an NFT

Reactions: coleAK
Wes - Cybertruck Lead Engineer:

_ Stainless is reactive and free iron that sits on it will rust. It's surface contamination only and can be cleaned off easily. Bar Keeper's Friend used here works well, citrisurf77 can also loosen the deposit and simply wipe it off. If anything stubborn use a blue non-scratch Scotch Brite pad as it won't leave any marks on the metal.

_ Iron becomes iron oxide until there's no free iron left to convert. In the process it creates red corrosion product which you'll see on the surface. Clean it anytime or don't if it doesn't bother you. It's not the base metal. The specs are about the size of the pin of a pinhead.

_ Stainless is reactive and free iron that sits on it will rust. It's surface contamination only and can be cleaned off easily. Bar Keeper's Friend used here works well, citrisurf77 can also loosen the deposit and simply wipe it off. If anything stubborn use a blue non-scratch Scotch Brite pad as it won't leave any marks on the metal.

_ Iron becomes iron oxide until there's no free iron left to convert. In the process it creates red corrosion product which you'll see on the surface. Clean it anytime or don't if it doesn't bother you. It's not the base metal. The specs are about the size of the pin of a pinhead.
Yup, really nothing to worry about in practical terms. Those that want to keep everything immaculately pretty usually spend the thousands of dollars to wrap their vehicle in vinyl, which doesn't make much sense to me either.

Reactions: WyoDude

Yes the rust will penetrate but it would take a long time. What is being seen is surface stains that were avoidable, and can be very difficult (approaching impossible) to remove if left on.

So now we go from a “bulletproof”, scratch proof, zero maintenance,…. Exterior to one that we have to spot clean almost daily with a scotch bright pad

so way higher maintenance then paint.

300 stainless is <1% carbon steel.

Last edited:
until he shows us his bachelor degree certificate and we'll Gofundme for his Master's degree.
I never worked as an engineer. Went straight to medical school. Been in practice for >20 years. My masters is in hospital administration.

I grew up at the time no one expected someone else to pay for you. My school was paid for by scholarships and service, no loans, no one else paying.

Yup. I have a nice round rust circle on my SS shop sink where I left a coffee can sitting in it. Nothing wrong with HFS - if you want showroom finish, you need to learn how to take care of it. ..or you could just drive it - it's a truck.

Yup, really nothing to worry about in practical terms. Those that want to keep everything immaculately pretty usually spend the thousands of dollars to wrap their vehicle in vinyl, which doesn't make much sense to me either.
I've been collectiong options:
ProtectaClearProtectaClear® by Everbrite Coatings Restore & Protect Your Tesla Cybertruck from Corrosionhttps://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...steel-factory-finish.12002/page-2#post-239808
ProtectaClearEverbrite Coating paint (via ProtectaClear)Everbrite Restores & Protects Metal from Tarnish, Rust & FadingFAQ thread:https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/protectaclear-cybertruck-faqs-here.12126/
Sheila ShineStainless Steel Polish & Cleaner | Protects Appliances from Fingerprints and Grease Marks | Residue & Streak FreeAmazon.com
CitriSurf® 77 Pluscleaning, rust removal, & passivation of SSCitriSurf® 77 Plus | Stellar Solutions - Stainless Steel PassivationVia Wes Tesla
Blue Sotch Briteblue non-scratch Scotch Brite pad "
WeimanStainless Steel wipes (vs spray)Stainless Steel WipesAmazon:https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Weiman+Stainless+Steel+Wipes

I've been collectiong options:
ProtectaClearProtectaClear® by Everbrite CoatingsRestore & Protect Your Tesla Cybertruck from Corrosionhttps://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...steel-factory-finish.12002/page-2#post-239808
ProtectaClearEverbrite Coating paint (via ProtectaClear)Everbrite Restores & Protects Metal from Tarnish, Rust & FadingFAQ thread:https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/protectaclear-cybertruck-faqs-here.12126/
Sheila ShineStainless Steel Polish & Cleaner | Protects Appliances from Fingerprints and Grease Marks | Residue & Streak FreeAmazon.com
CitriSurf® 77 Pluscleaning, rust removal, & passivation of SSCitriSurf® 77 Plus | Stellar Solutions - Stainless Steel PassivationVia Wes Tesla
Blue Sotch Briteblue non-scratch Scotch Brite pad "
WeimanStainless Steel wipes (vs spray)Stainless Steel WipesAmazon:https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Weiman+Stainless+Steel+Wipes
An option I am curious about is growing a controlled patina. BKF to get a fresh surface then bake in a painters booth so the patina develops uniformly. I don't know about HFS, but for aluminum and many iron alloys, this patina is self-limiting - creates a barrier to further oxidation, is extremely durable, and self-healing.

Yup. I have a nice round rust circle on my SS shop sink where I left a coffee can sitting in it. Nothing wrong with HFS - if you want showroom finish, you need to learn how to take care of it. ..or you could just drive it - it's a truck.
...and some BarKeepers Friend should take that right out. I've left some cast iron cookware in the sink too long with the same effect, It only takes a tiny bit of water and time for that iron rust to transfer over.

Reactions: CyberGus
img_1713-jpeg.38157

This is how awful your Cybertruck will look in 40 years