Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust alert - Wheels' arc liner friction & more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

From West coast to North East cold winters that requires sand/salt/tiny rocks at times, below are pictures taken this week behind the front wheel's arch liner.

The car is a M3 Dec 2018 ~18k miles bought in California, never driven yet in snow. Planning to complete anti-rust job soon but how can we fix those "friction areas"?!

I am quite aware of all the little things to check on the M3 to prevent rust as well as most places that people are aware but I don't recall and haven't found mentions of possible issues behind the arch liner.

What did I find, what will you see.

Once I started to pull out the liner, heard a small rock fall down... and once the liner removed, quickly noticed multiple places that shows friction due to dust/sand. One of them must have been caused by that small rock. Many areas already exposes the metal, others to come as friction is still ongoing. Using a magnet, I confirm it's not aluminum... it will eventually rust.

How would someone fix those?! I tend to think other cars must have the same issue but expensive cars must have a solution? Not like Tesla isn't expensive :D

. slight sanding
. primer
. primer
. primer

and then what?

Around the holes for the plastic rivet clips, add a nylon or stainless washer glue to the primer? What about the other areas?! In some areas, adding any protection could also cause more accumulation if there's less space for a small object to pass :(

There's also that hidden gems area with no escape so objects to get out... sand/rock get stuck in there, possibly damaging the primer?

For those who wonder what anti-rust product I plan to spray, in that gem area and other places : CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor - someone on youtube did extensive tests of multiple products. It does have a smell but eventually goes away.

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpeg
    IMG_1763.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 1,310
  • IMG_1813.jpeg
    IMG_1813.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1811a.jpeg
    IMG_1811a.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1810.jpeg
    IMG_1810.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1804.jpeg
    IMG_1804.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1803.jpeg
    IMG_1803.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1802 2.jpeg
    IMG_1802 2.jpeg
    365.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1788 2.jpeg
    IMG_1788 2.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1783.jpeg
    IMG_1783.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1782.jpeg
    IMG_1782.jpeg
    583.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
For those interested,

Upon checking the other side and noticing the same spots had similar damage due to friction, it appears that the manufacturing process of the front wheels' arch protector makes things even worst - haven't look at the rear ones yet.

Some holes are part of the mold others are done using a drill bit. All except a 1-2 per side? shows the drilling is done from the wheel area side. This leave a dirty plastic edge on the other side. The manufacturer didn't clean the opposite side causing dust to grab on that small edge and direct friction on the primer that wears off much faster compared to other contact areas.

The edge is thick enough to use a good utility knife to cut it out. After doing so, I used 2000 sand paper and applied pressure with the tip of my finger.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I used the word edge previously, ridge is the exact word.

Adding 2 pictures showing type of ridge found. The first one seems to be caused by a drill bit. For the second one, perhaps the mold needed adjustment and decided this was good enough?

Attachments

• 2022-09-12_21-38-50.png
    2022-09-12_21-38-50.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 188
  • 2022-09-12_21-39-21.png
    2022-09-12_21-39-21.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 199