Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convincing others to switch to Tesla or EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't really understand why there are people still driving gas cars, especially in CA where gas can easily be $5-7 in 2022. I hear random people who ask stuff about my Tesla or electric scooter talk about how much it costs to fuel their gas cars, like one guy said he drove a diesel truck and paid $150 per fill up.

I felt if you own a home and can install your own EV charger that you always have access to, then having an EV will be a perfect fit anyone who just does normal commuting. You save money paying for cheaper energy which easily can be charged overnight, which most people sleep anyways. You never have to stop at a gas station if you charge at home. You can use the car pool lane with one person. And you got autopilot, so you can drive far without getting as tired or needing Monster energy drinks.

My parents will likely not consider switching to EV, even though they don't need to do much road trips. I think only road trips to cities like Phoenix AZ is where charging can become a drag, especially if you have no place to charge overnight. My friend who was my passenger and provided his parents house to stay at in Chandler AZ was really annoyed by the idea of having to charge for an hour every time the Tesla needed to refuel. Rather than 5 minutes at the gas station. He said he rather pay the price of gas in Arizona or CA than recharge for an hour every time. He says because of his work giving limited vacation time that it cuts into his allowance of vacation time.

My friends or parents opinions won't really affect me, but I'm sure it can affect someone that has a spouse and needs to consult with them when making big purchases. I think the road trip part is the only thing that can be a big turn especially those going to rural areas. But then these same people who insist to drive gas cars will complain about gas prices when it's over $5 gallon. But will rather choose to wait in an hour long Costco gas station line rather than buy an EV that takes the same amount of time for fractions of the cost when the discount gas station only saves 40 cents at best.

I rather not switch back to a gas car so I use autopilot and charge at home. I do road trips sometimes but so far its likely my road trips will only be somewhere is only about 6 hours away from Orange County and not much more. I have not yet done a road trip that required multiple days like going from So-Cal to Colorado.

I don't really understand why there are people still driving gas cars, especially in CA where gas can easily be $5-7 in 2022...
Simple reason: Initial cost.

Gas guzzler 2022 Ford F-150 starts at $31,520 with a 506-572 mile range. The first tank full of gas is free. If not, they'll give you a coupon to fill up for free.

Electric 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT starting at $59,474 with a 230-mile range. Once you sign your delivery paper, your very first Supercharger costs you money.

Simple reason: Initial cost.

Gas guzzler 2022 Ford F-150 starts at $31,520 with a 506-572 mile range. The first tank full of gas is free. If not, they'll give you a coupon to fill up for free.

Electric 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT starting at $59,474 with a 230-mile range. Once you sign your delivery paper, your very first Supercharger costs you money.
I think that's part of it, but I think the bigger part is a simple reluctance to change due to tradition or FUD. Even people who could easily afford it just don't want to change, in my experience.

I think that's part of it, but I think the bigger part is a simple reluctance to change due to tradition or FUD. Even people who could easily afford it just don't want to change, in my experience.
True.

1) Not enough chargers:

1a. Those who can afford the initial high cost might hate the inconvenience of charging: Good luck finding a Supercharger inside a National Park or in many deserted areas. A small town can still have a gas station but not Supercharger.

1b. We've encountered landlords and HOA that don't allow onsite chargers. That problem needs to be fixed. Chargers need to be available on-street parking, schools, works, store parking... many more than we have gas stations.

2) Fast Charger still not fast:

The supercharger is fast, but it is still slower than gasoline.

They indeed need to take a bathroom break every 200 miles or so, but they don't want to wait for the charging when they finish the bathroom breaks.

Most don't drive far, but they still want an option to do so as needed.

Tesla originally wanted $25,000 for the mass, then changed its mind that there's no need because the demand for expensive Tesla cars are still so high. Recently, it changed back to the idea of low cost again.

EV cars need to be affordable.

I agree. DC-Ultra-Fast Chargers need to be ubiquitous. I think Buc-ees has the right idea. ...but I think the first traditional gas station that agrees to swap out just 2 pumps for DCUFC wins.

...and yeah, apartments in particular need to change their policy. Every apartment complex I've ever lived has a a row or two of 5 to 20 parking spaces that no one uses. Put some Tesla chargers on there and start bringing in revenue.

...but the bathroom break arguments always get me. It reminds me of the people who take forever in the bathroom and when they see you sitting down, they call you lazy and blame you for being late. Hurry up and wait. They treat every roadtrip like they're running pure Mexican white snow up I-5 to Canada. I bet if they took a regular vacation and clocked how much time they spent on breaks, they'd be surprised at the results.

I don't want a vehicle with a glass roof or sun roof so that leaves out Tesla. I'm going to be replacing my pick up next year. I want towing up to 14000lb. For less than 65K What will my options be? I am willing to loose up to 100 miles of range from full. But still have at least 100 miles of range left . I am not willing to experiment with my money on whether or not an ev pickup will work for me.

I agree. DC-Ultra-Fast Chargers need to be ubiquitous. I think Buc-ees has the right idea. ...but I think the first traditional gas station that agrees to swap out just 2 pumps for DCUFC wins.

...and yeah, apartments in particular need to change their policy. Every apartment complex I've ever lived has a a row or two of 5 to 20 parking spaces that no one uses. Put some Tesla chargers on there and start bringing in revenue.

...but the bathroom break arguments always get me. It reminds me of the people who take forever in the bathroom and when they see you sitting down, they call you lazy and blame you for being late. Hurry up and wait. They treat every roadtrip like they're running pure Mexican white snow up I-5 to Canada. I bet if they took a regular vacation and clocked how much time they spent on breaks, they'd be surprised at the results.
My friend's apartment in Glendale had no chargers.

But I brought my E-scooter and got lucky there was a free charge point kind of close to the apartment but it was about 1 mile away. But it worked out, nobody ever used that charge point overnight of all the 3 days stayed. So I was able to have a full charge each day thus had no need to supercharge the entire trip in Phoenix (except once for Phx to Tuscon).

Non of that waiting an hour each time which my friend complained about. His family's house was in Chandler, they have no EV charging, and there was no EV charger with E-scooter distance except in apartment complexes that probably were blocked off. Having a spot to charge overnight when away from home on road trip is nice to eliminate that hour stop to supercharge.

I don't want a vehicle with a glass roof or sun roof so that leaves out Tesla. I'm going to be replacing my pick up next year. I want towing up to 14000lb. For less than 65K What will my options be? I am willing to loose up to 100 miles of range from full. But still have at least 100 miles of range left . I am not willing to experiment with my money on whether or not an ev pickup will work for me.
There're older Model S's with metal roof i believe

On topic, its def range n availability of chargers..
I just got into EVs with 2016 MX 90D n real word miles are about 180 with 360Wh/mi
I find myself needing to charge midday on my days off due to running lots of errands n kids duties...
With EV we def need at lease 300mi range (real) ie 400mi EPA which only some Tesla can get
I also can't just charge anywhere due to lack of DC/SCs, need to plan ahead... so i get why others don't wanna switch.

I feel we should have the freedom to purchase what we desired. Let the market dictate consumer demand. I also feel that the government shouldn't be in the business of picking winners and losers. That should be driven by value of product and quality of service. If we continue down this path, we'll all be driving the People's Car, a Volkswagen Beetle.

It's going to be very hard to "convince" when there's the sigma of hour charges. The best approach is education. Buying a Tesla is a very steep bargain and they're not readily available. Any other EV purchase opens up the concern of charging. Sure, most charge at home and yes, other networks do work for most people but not as convenient as the Super Charging network.

Reactions: DblOSmith
I feel we should have the freedom to purchase what we desired. Let the market dictate consumer demand. I also feel that the government shouldn't be in the business of picking winners and losers. That should be driven by value of product and quality of service. If we continue down this path, we'll all be driving the People's Car, a Volkswagen Beetle.

It's going to be very hard to "convince" when there's the sigma of hour charges. The best approach is education. Buying a Tesla is a very steep bargain and they're not readily available. Any other EV purchase opens up the concern of charging. Sure, most charge at home and yes, other networks do work for most people but not as convenient as the Super Charging network.
I agree 100%. ICE car bans are a bad idea economically and psychologically.

Reactions: AMPd
Let’s be careful we don’t start to spread more FUD. ICE car bans are supposed to help combat global warming
??? 1) That's not FUD and I'm not an EV sycophant at all costs. If there's a bad EV policy, I'm going to call it out. 2) Global Warming is completely irrelevant to my point. 3) Ever hear of unintended consequences? They aren't the exception. They're usually the rule, especially when it comes to mass banning of products.

• Love
Reactions: AMPd
BJH2PMTQHVBKBIZHKDJ6W3RM5A.jpg

Many of you are completely out of touch about how much a lot of people can pay for cars. Many people always buy used and have a budget <10k USD. There are no used EVs anywhere near that price that would be anything more than a local runabout or short range commuter (think something like a 2013 Nissan Leaf). Also, for many people in that situation (and many with tones more money) they want one car to do it all. Used car sales in the US are several times new every year (which should not be that surprising).

You also have the problem of still very limited choice in what kinds of cars you can get.
Want an EV sports car? Nope.
Want a mid-sized sedan with long range (and don't happen to like the Model 3)? Good luck (in the US).
Love hatch-backs (that are not CUVs)? Hope you love 50kW 'fast' charging because the Bolt is your only choice in the US.
Need a minivan? Forget it.

EVs are selling very very well in the new-car segments they actual compete in, but they don't compete in all segments.
Also, while ~65% of US residents live in a house (so most of those should be able to charge at home), that still leaves a huge segment that can't easily do home charging which for many is a totally understandable deal breaker currently.

The ICE car bans are being offered as a way to address global warming. At some point we have to stop the ignorance and do something.

Every single EV that can be made is sold very shortly after it rolls out of the factory (in the past, there were a few stubborn dealerships that let some EVs sit on their lots but I haven't seen much of that recently). The only real problem with EV proliferation today is that there is not enough production capacity in the world to make enough of them (or their components - mainly batteries) and commodity prices.
The demand is so much higher than supply that buyers desperate for an EV drive the price of used ones up too.
Banning ICE will undoubtedly lead to unintended consequences that may end up being worse for global warming than not. I would much prefer to see 'carrot and stick' policies that subtly discourage greenhouse gas emissions and encourage technologies that don't lead to them. Government picking winners and losers is a dangerous and often ridiculuous thing. The same clowns who passed ICE bans (conveniently long after their terms expire) are falling all over themselves to give compensation to some of their constituents to help offset high petroleum costs.

just buy an ev is not the answer
its not the answer to gas prices for everyone

is an ev right for that person will depend on so many factors

big problems with ev's are price and availability of suitable vehicles

we ended up in a model y and it wasnt because it was an ev and tbh it was more than we prob wanted to spend and for the same money we would prefer some other vehicles but its what we ended up with as it sort of ticked most of our boxes but we arent in love with it as such