Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Plaid...but do you think it's "worth it"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was great. I drove the Lucid Air “Pure” and the “Grand Touring”; the “Touring” wasn’t available.

The car fit and finish is next level even for the entry level “Pure”, really luxurious and well done, spacious, Tesla’s interior is really, really cheap in comparison. The GT was even nicer with glass roof like Teslas; the “Pure” comes with metal roof, no sunroof available, oh well … all cars are AWD but there will be cheaper RWD “Pure” this month.

All models but “Pure” have power frank, trunk and soft closing doors. The range beats Tesla by a lot, recharging is faster too, without going too technical here.

The drive was solid and the “Studio advisor” using Lucid’s lingo, was a car guy and told me to “pretend I’m not here, just don’t crash”, so I said “Alright, let’s see what you got”, and it was awesome, on rails, the “sprint” mode asks for confirmation, just like the familiar “Ludicrous” would, the backroads of Manhasset will never be the same.

The huge dash in front of you looks like Taycan’s but better and the center console UI(user interface) is simpler, e.g. Tesla’s have too many sub-menus, toggles, sometimes cumbersome to find settings. The center console retracts itself too, which was cool. Some physical buttons for temperature, volume, etc. and stalks man! stalks, like a normal car … there’s Apple CarPlay too.

The 2 major features I found surprisingly missing as far as software were:

1 - There is no proper sentry mode like Tesla’s, no recording while you drive or honk. No camera watching from mobile app either. No nothing.

2 - There is no way to enable the rear and side cameras while you’re driving, say what? that’s right, so easy to do it if you ask me, but unavailable as of today…

but the backup camera is light years better, with bird’s eye view so crisp and detailed, you’d really wish you had that on Tesla’s.

No games, farts, boombox and video watching either; some would miss that, then again I wouldn’t.

We all know Lucid may not make it, Elon himself cursed them and said so; the Saudis guaranteed 3 years of cashflow, the “Air” is their only model, the “Gravity” SUV will be released in 2024 but it won’t be cheap either … they opened their first and only Service Center in Plainview, NY last month, in addition to mobile service like Tesla’s.

If it wasn’t for their financial perils I would get either the “Grand Touring” or the “Touring” right there and then (not really, they sell online like Tesla); the 2 aforementioned misses are easily addressed with OTA software updates.

I’d say the Lucid is better than a Model S in every way, a proper luxury EV, but few missing software features, easily added by updates.

I didn’t try their version of “Auto Pilot” and “FSD”; they have different naming for these, just so Tesla guys would associate with. I don’t care about any of these features, barely used AP and never wanted FSD either. I drive my cars.

I’d say every Tesla owner must test drive the Lucid and see for yourself what the Model S should’ve been.

Almost forgot, took my road bike with me for test fitting and it does fit … here are some pics …

Cheers
….. but it looks like an old man’s Lincoln or Buick. Numerous reports lots of software glitches. The plaid at 90 K now is a no-brainer compared to anything lucid offers in that price point. …..,,, and yes I test drove a PURE

I agree with everything the car got dinged on in this review after a test drive. It was underwhelming overall at the price point. The engine whine was quite annoying. To each their own, though if you like it, that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
I wish Lucid had gone with a hatch. I really like that aspect of the S. Another big miss for me is their powertrain warranty is vastly less than the S. It is only 8 years 100k miles. Tesla has the same number of years but tacks on another 50k in miles. That is a massive difference. Shows the faith Tesla has in their powertrain.

I concur with the that it looks like a Lincoln or Buick. That was my thought from some angles.

Extra range really doesn't matter to me with the excellent Tesla SC network. I took my 3 and Y on a bunch of trips and even their range wasn't an issue. I am glad there are options and maybe it will push Tesla to be better. At the same time, I don't think Elon gives a fork about the S anymore.

Since performance is one of my top, if not #1 priority, hard to beat the value of the Plaid. Somebody could drop $300k in my lap right now and I'd still go buy a Plaid as my primary daily driver. It isn't perfect but it sure gets a lot of things right.

I wish Lucid had gone with a hatch. I really like that aspect of the S. Another big miss for me is their powertrain warranty is vastly less than the S. It is only 8 years 100k miles. Tesla has the same number of years but tacks on another 50k in miles. That is a massive difference. Shows the faith Tesla has in their powertrain.

I concur with the that it looks like a Lincoln or Buick. That was my thought from some angles.

Extra range really doesn't matter to me with the excellent Tesla SC network. I took my 3 and Y on a bunch of trips and even their range wasn't an issue. I am glad there are options and maybe it will push Tesla to be better. At the same time, I don't think Elon gives a fork about the S anymore.

Since performance is one of my top, if not #1 priority, hard to beat the value of the Plaid. Somebody could drop $300k in my lap right now and I'd still go buy a Plaid as my primary daily driver. It isn't perfect but it sure gets a lot of things right.
Agree with all of that.

Lucid Gravity is on the horizon o_O

S Plaid is still worth it!! What other car can you get brand new for $89,990 that isn't tuned/modded and can do a 1/4 mile in under 9.7 seconds easy and not pay at least $60 to $80 to fill up the tank!!! :cool: 🤠
sure is … I have a tri-motor Cybertruck on order and I might probably get the Plaid, as I know what I’m getting into, used to Tesla issues/ecosystem, etc. Lucid is nice but a big unknown for years to come … and yeah, 90k for the Plaid is cheap … people paid 130k+ a year ago must be pissed, used market upside down, then again that’s capitalism, you win some, you lose some.

I've been in the market for Lucid, Plaid, MS LR, or I7 for a while.

All these cars are really amazing. The Lucid drove much more like a luxury car than the Plaid. It was noticeably more refined. You feel like you are in a luxury car too. They did a great job. I love the I7 too. Obviously, doesn't compare speed wise, but the tech, and comfort refinement were unmatched. That was my personal favorite.

For me, I have concluded that range is an issue. I have read and heard about all the issues with EA, and I believe them. The Supercharger network is just a huge benefit. I can afford any of these options, but I don't want to be frivolous. I think the value now of the Plaid (or LR) is amazing. I think that's now the winner.

Should people wait for more discounts? That's a tough one. I can see it going either way. Before the new pricing, there were a number of demos around. Now I don't see them. I wonder what's happened to them? Maybe they will sell as used ones? Tesla's pricing model is tough to predict. I think there's an equal chance that it gets another discount along with it going back up too.

I decided to buy the MSP when Tesla released the Track Pack. It's a comprehensive braking system, suspension/chassis tuning and thermal mgmt upgrade.

I am enjoying my MSP more than ever <2K miles into ownership from new. So worth it I just custom spec'ed USA made forged wheels ETA 10 weeks.

IMG_2950.jpeg

IMG_2953.jpeg

221026_FGLN_24_NW104_persp_satinblack_1024_noshad.png

Read the threads on these very forum about a damming vibration while driving the Plaid, plaguing all years from 2021 onwards.

I’ve been always tempted to get the Plaid, but won’t even as cheap as it is now, knowing that I will have issues with vibration on 35-45mph as well as above 85mph, besides minor issues and a fit and finish of early 90’s Kia. Maybe lowering the price is for an short term redesign? all bets are off.

Research a lot first, don’t make an emotional buy.
Oddly I have a 23 Plaid and have none of the issues you claim as All..

Alright, wanted to give an update to this situation.

Getting a 22 Model S Plaid in a couple of weeks...but it's not a purchase...but a lease takeover. I'll have about 14months and 15k miles to try it out for basically a year at a really good monthly payment from the guy I'm taking the lease over so it's more of a no-brainer. Not my fav exterior (its the MSM, I would've love red or blue) but has the white interior and the yoke and the 21s.

One day I was randomly checking my phone and saw the Plaid price go down to 90k....very very tempted....then saw the lease takeover opportunity and looked at the payment and timing....it's perfect for me to get this without getting into huge trouble with my better half

It achieves several things:

I am able to have a Plaid for about a year or so so I can really experience it properly and know whether I want to actually purchase one for the long-haul within this next year. I really hope Tesla does not discontinue the Model S anytime soon. I love liftback sedans!

GIves me time to watch how the new and used Plaid market is as things change in the car market.

The overall daily cost (pure payment wise) is around $50/day for about a year....no where on Turo or anywhere else would you be able to rent a MSP for this cheap.

Researching the 21" rear tire issues (sigh....nothing is perfect as we all are aware in life), and am going to check into the condition of the tires. I might just get a source a set of OEM aero tempest 19s to drive on...we'll see.

Will be driving from Chicago area back to KC. The car will come with physical key cards but Tesla is saying the app access I won't get for potentially 2-4 days as they complete the lease transfer process.

I'll also need to look into radar detector as well. Uniden R4 is on top of my list and reading up on Tesla tap on wiring it neatly.

Last edited:
Reactions: CleanDemon and teko
It is worth it 1000% we are just pissed from a financial perspective due to the price drop. But put this on the side, it is a great EV, good range and one heck of performance figures. Few small issues like normal but You have to change the HEPA filter 18 months for $500, other while it will smell like dirty socks 🤣

It is no luxury by any mean if you care about that. And i think once other German luxury brands starts to pump there real EV performances in the 100k range. The plaid will settle around 90s.

Reactions: ginmqi
You have to change the HEPA filter 18 months for $500, other while it will smell like dirty socks 🤣
$500? Filters are like $34 each.

Reactions: ginmqi
$500? Filters are like $34 each.
HEPA filter not the normal cabin filter!

It is worth it 1000% we are just pissed from a financial perspective due to the price drop. But put this on the side, it is a great EV, good range and one heck of performance figures. Few small issues like normal but You have to change the HEPA filter 18 months for $500, other while it will smell like dirty socks 🤣

It is no luxury by any mean if you care about that. And i think once other German luxury brands starts to pump there real EV performances in the 100k range. The plaid will settle around 90s.

I don't see any German brand touching the Plaids performance for anywhere remotely near it's price. They are already twice the price and half the performance. I don't care massaging seats or any really higher luxuries in a car. The Plaid's current level of accouterment is fine by me. I have all my top priority items ticked off.

I grew up in the era of "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday". Performance was my #1 gating criterion. If there wasn't a certain level of performance, I am not interested regardless of what other luxuries you offer me.