Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Plaid...but do you think it's "worth it"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see any German brand touching the Plaids performance for anywhere remotely near it's price. They are already twice the price and half the performance. I don't care massaging seats or any really higher luxuries in a car. The Plaid's current level of accouterment is fine by me. I have all my top priority items ticked off.

I grew up in the era of "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday". Performance was my #1 gating criterion. If there wasn't a certain level of performance, I am not interested regardless of what other luxuries you offer me.
Audis and Porsche been always high in price, but the replacements of the E63 and M5 will come for sure in few years in the 100-120k.

There are so many better wheel choices out there than the Tesla wheels. As I mentioned 2 good ones to start with are BC and Signature. They apparently are made in the same factory. Likely cost less than the Tesla factory wheels and a lot lighter which helps with performance. Subjectively I think they look much better than the stock ones.

@myoda - my insurance is less on my Plaid than my 2022 MS LR or 2021 MY LR was. Only my M3 LR is cheaper to insure of the Tesla's I've owned and it is about $20 every 6 months cheaper.
After I traded in my 2014 Jeep SRT I in August I paid Carmax 68k plus tax for my Dec 2021 Model S Plaid with 16k miles.
With Tesla's price cuts a week later I may have overpaid at that by 5-10k
I bought it because of the 9.4 sec on the 1/4 @151 mph performance that it does on a typical public road.
It had the 21" wheels

I'm not a fan of black wheels especially on a black car so I got these

and another set of Michelin Pilot tires..
Any minor vibration at 40-45 mph like on the 16k tires seems to have disappeared.

I added some Plaid emblems

I don't own or have driven a Plaid, however it's not the just the insane power you're getting with the refresh S.

Everything under the exterior (plus the better headlights) is brand new - interior, MCU, motors, suspension, quieter (double paned windows), and some more.

All I'm saying is that it's not just the speed that is different.

You'll also be buying a car with a balance of factory warranty (depending on the mileage) .
Is this a correct statement? I am looking at replacing my 2016 Model S with the new Model S plaid. But the Tesla folks stated that trimotor is the only difference (unlike X where there difference included six seats and rear seats are controlled electronically). According to the Tesla folks in the showroom, the interior, MCU, suspension, windows, etc. are exactly the same between non-plaid (LR) version and the plaid version.

Is this a correct statement? I am looking at replacing my 2016 Model S with the new Model S plaid. But the Tesla folks stated that trimotor is the only difference (unlike X where there difference included six seats and rear seats are controlled electronically). According to the Tesla folks in the showroom, the interior, MCU, suspension, windows, etc. are exactly the same between non-plaid (LR) version and the plaid version.
I think @SilverGS was getting at the differences between the pre-refresh and post-refresh Model S, and not the differences between the post-refresh Model S LR and Plaid. Yes, the current LR and Plaid are basically the same, net of the drivetrain.

I think @SilverGS was getting at the differences between the pre-refresh and post-refresh Model S, and not the differences between the post-refresh Model S LR and Plaid. Yes, the current LR and Plaid are basically the same, net of the drivetrain.
Thank you. I did buy a Model X Plaid that I took delivery a couple of weeks ago (booked it before the current price increase but after the Yoke price went up and the loyalty discount went down from $1300 to $650) ) to replace my wife's ICE SUV. It was a no brainer as the price difference was marginal (after you factor in the extras). I was debating if I should also buy MS Plaid or MS LR to replace my 2016 MS. That's when I started investigating. If it is just the speed, then I think I will go with the MS LR.

Reactions: AAKEE
You also get track mode (makes the car more fun even if not on a track). Some slight brake changes (pads) now but nothing like the optional track pack brakes . Obviously the 3rd motor. Carbon wrapped motors all around.

Rear spoiler, carbon fiber trim option, and different pedals are other upgrades and a few hundred more pounds.

Of course the ability to warp space and time when you lay down all 1k HP to the ground at launch. Better than any ride at Disney or Universal. My kids still never tire of launching the car.

Thank you. I did buy a Model X Plaid that I took delivery a couple of weeks ago (booked it before the current price increase but after the Yoke price went up and the loyalty discount went down from $1300 to $650) ) to replace my wife's ICE SUV. It was a no brainer as the price difference was marginal (after you factor in the extras). I was debating if I should also buy MS Plaid or MS LR to replace my 2016 MS. That's when I started investigating. If it is just the speed, then I think I will go with the MS LR.
Makes complete sense if you're good with 670hp vs 1,020hp. Certainly not a hardship. Interior will have wood trim, and there will be no rear spoiler, which are the visual changes people may observe, apart from the absent plaid badge.

Reactions: Beandoc
Makes complete sense if you're good with 670hp vs 1,020hp. Certainly not a hardship. Interior will have wood trim, and there will be no rear spoiler, which are the visual changes people may observe, apart from the absent plaid badge.

Agree. The acceleration of the S Plaid is very similar to amusement park rides and it still hasn't gotten old for me yet. Can't fault anyone getting the regular S though.

Hi all. First time poster and potential first time Tesla owner. Here's a weird question if those who have owned a Plaid or similarly high performance variants of the Model S can chime in. I read a reddit post of a guy who bought a Plaid and sold it after like 6months aftert he basically got "ruined" by how fast the car was and also how un-usable that acceleration was in day to day driving causing him to ultimately sell the car.

A quick background: I rented a 2018 P100D with the Ludicrous+ mode on turo last year and after experiencing the most insane launch and acceleration I've ever felt in a car for a weekend...everything else feels slow and antiquated. I was really happy for a weekend and then of course my impulse was to start looking at owning a similar car. Then I thought that with daily commute i won't be doing those crazy launches and so if I do get a Plaid it's going to feel like I"m wasting money when the unique feature of the Plaid really can't be fully used frequently due to safety/legal reasons.

Someone posted this that resonates with me:

Of course the additional cost of the Plaid is another factor. Maybe I should just look for a pre-2021 P100D/Performance and get 90% of the acceleration of a plaid but pay way less so I feel not as much of the price not being worth it?

Thoughts on all this?

And a related note, any good guides/post on how to inspect/check for a used Tesla? I've done a fair amount of regular ICE car buying and know lot of the checks but any specific way that you can check the state of the battery of a Tesla prior to buying it?

Thanks!
Are you kidding? If you can afford it, nothing else to be said 🤣😂 Enjoy it to the fullest 👍🏻 It’s a matter of what color you like best.

I am no into to swapping/upgrading my MS LR to MS Plaid and from time to time reflect upon my thoughts of what I thought of my LR. Every so often I put the Plaid in sport mode if I want to relive what it was like (for the most part) of driving the MS LR. It is a pretty close approximation of the performance of the LR.

The more I think about the original question, and having driven both cars enough to really understand them, I am even more certain that if you even are contemplating the question, just buy the LR. The LR in its own right is a very quick car even if it doesn't live up to its performance claims. As long as you don't drive a Plaid, you might be perfectly content.

OTOH, there isn't a single day (unless the roads are really slick) that I don't open it up for at least a few second burst in an appropriate area. Every time, I end up with an ear-to-ear grin. Best 15k I've ever spent on a car. Not a single day goes by that I regret selling my LR and buying the Plaid. Every day my child asks if we can take daddy's car to school instead of mommy's. Even my kid understands the difference between a 2-second and 3-second 0-60 time and votes for the 2-second car daily very adamantly.

If acceleration doesn't matter to you, don't buy the Plaid. If it does, currently there isn't a better deal out there for what you get.