Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Plaid...but do you think it's "worth it"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read the threads on these very forum about a damming vibration while driving the Plaid, plaguing all years from 2021 onwards.

I’ve been always tempted to get the Plaid, but won’t even as cheap as it is now, knowing that I will have issues with vibration on 35-45mph as well as above 85mph, besides minor issues and a fit and finish of early 90’s Kia. Maybe lowering the price is for an short term redesign? all bets are off.

Research a lot first, don’t make an emotional buy.

The 38 mph vibe is very minimal in mine. After my track pack brakes, I don't know what changed, but it is so minimal I wouldn't even know it was there if I hadn't experienced it before. Even then it was pretty minimal. No issues with vibes so far at any other speeds way up into triple digits.

I have to say while not perfectly put together, mine is well assembled and good panel gaps. Only issue was the rear camber one for me that accelerates rear tire wear if on 21" wheels. So I spent about $400 to correct that including a 4 wheel alignment.

With my track pack brakes, and camber dialed in, I couldn't ask for a better daily driver than my Plaid. It is a phenomenal car for the money and at the current price, the performance bargain of the decade, if not century. It has been bulletproof so far. Very little battery degradation is just icing on the cake.

As well know there people are more vocal about negative issues. There are issues but high widespread they are is truly hard to determine on this forum. The problems that afflict some Plaids are also present in the refreshed long range S as well. OTOH, my long range S had absolutely no vibration issues at any speed. I think we are developing a better understanding of how to correct some of the issues. Maybe with more time, there will be an aftermarket fix that solves it for the people who have really bad issues.

At the current price, the Plaid is worth it even more than ever.

Read the threads on these very forum about a damming vibration while driving the Plaid, plaguing all years from 2021 onwards.

I’ve been always tempted to get the Plaid, but won’t even as cheap as it is now, knowing that I will have issues with vibration on 35-45mph as well as above 85mph, besides minor issues and a fit and finish of early 90’s Kia. Maybe lowering the price is for an short term redesign? all bets are off.

Oh for sure. I'm still holding out. It's insane that it's now below 90k. I am very tempted especially with the color options now being included in the price too.
My ideal spec is a ultra red, white interior, yoke, aero wheels, no EAP/no FSD.

I'm going to wait to end of this month to see if there's more incentives before end of Q3 and then if I don't pull trigger by end of this month I'm going to wait until end of this year

Reactions: RyanC1384
The 38 mph vibe is very minimal in mine. After my track pack brakes, I don't know what changed, but it is so minimal I wouldn't even know it was there if I hadn't experienced it before. Even then it was pretty minimal. No issues with vibes so far at any other speeds way up into triple digits.

I have to say while not perfectly put together, mine is well assembled and good panel gaps. Only issue was the rear camber one for me that accelerates rear tire wear if on 21" wheels. So I spent about $400 to correct that including a 4 wheel alignment.

With my track pack brakes, and camber dialed in, I couldn't ask for a better daily driver than my Plaid. It is a phenomenal car for the money and at the current price, the performance bargain of the decade, if not century. It has been bulletproof so far. Very little battery degradation is just icing on the cake.

As well know there people are more vocal about negative issues. There are issues but high widespread they are is truly hard to determine on this forum. The problems that afflict some Plaids are also present in the refreshed long range S as well. OTOH, my long range S had absolutely no vibration issues at any speed. I think we are developing a better understanding of how to correct some of the issues. Maybe with more time, there will be an aftermarket fix that solves it for the people who have really bad issues.

At the current price, the Plaid is worth it even more than ever.

Abso-Effing-Lutely.

I was almost going to look at 2019/2020 Raven Performance S for the 'value' (mid 50s) but now that the Plaid is right at 90k for a brand new one...I can't afford NOT to buy a new Plaid this year.

Tesla is really trying to push Plaid sales so I'm definitely going to look at a Plaid somewhat soon..I'm going to wait to see if they have more incentives come end of september and then maybe even end of December....wife has tentatively approved this purchase so :p🤞

Reactions: phantasms
Oh for sure. I'm still holding out. It's insane that it's now below 90k. I am very tempted especially with the color options now being included in the price too.
My ideal spec is a ultra red, white interior, yoke, aero wheels, no EAP/no FSD.

I'm going to wait to end of this month to see if there's more incentives before end of Q3 and then if I don't pull trigger by end of this month I'm going to wait until end of this year
my spec: Black (matte black wrap afterwards), black interior, no joke, I mean yoke, no FSD/EAP nonsense, 19” wheels (nicer aftermarket wheels afterwards).

Reactions: ginmqi

The only thing you are going to accomplish by continuing to wait longer to buy is saving more thousands and thousands of dollars. 🤣

Serious, I think there's $10K more of cuts across the Model S line before they are done.

The vibration is what makes me hesitate. The rear tire issue can be fixed, but be damned that half shaft vibration. Even at the lower price, I wouldn’t be happy if with the vibration.

Reactions: phantasms
Abso-Effing-Lutely.

I was almost going to look at 2019/2020 Raven Performance S for the 'value' (mid 50s) but now that the Plaid is right at 90k for a brand new one...I can't afford NOT to buy a new Plaid this year.

Tesla is really trying to push Plaid sales so I'm definitely going to look at a Plaid somewhat soon..I'm going to wait to see if they have more incentives come end of september and then maybe even end of December....wife has tentatively approved this purchase so :p🤞
I just told my wife, I’m eating ramen for the next 3 months. 😂

I think it could be the end of the line soon for the almost 12 year old Model S. So the gimmick may make a comeback.
I don’t think that’s happening anytime soon, it’s their flagship. Besides, not everybody wants a model 3. Too many white M3 in Alpharetta, I was trying to get into someone else’s car in Publix parking lot, I ended up wrapping my car 😀

One may ask “what if they’re lowering Model S/X prices because a refresh is coming, just like the Model 3, and then I’ll be driving a brand new-old model?” not to mention Model Y and the Performance versions of both? you’d end up never getting anything.

btw, I’m test driving the Lucid Grand Touring in the afternoon and I know, they are on the brink of bankruptcy, having Saudi money for 3 years or so, just one Service Center on Long Island (opened on August 5th), then again I like cars and will do it for fun, as I did with the Taycan, Merc EQS and Audi e-tron.

I don’t think that’s happening anytime soon, it’s their flagship. Besides, not everybody wants a model 3. Too many white M3 in Alpharetta, I was trying to get into someone else’s car in Publix parking lot, I ended up wrapping my car 😀

Yeah, you're not right about that. The car is long in the tooth by any auto manufacturer's standards, and please don't mention the one anomaly of the 911, which by the way has been massively redesigned several times.

All car manufacturers have dealt with their popular cars becoming less popular until they either had to replace it with an all new car or kill it off completely. I would not put it past Tesla to decide to stick with the 3/Y/Cybertruck, and the Roadster as their halo car instead of the Plaid, and then go even more down market and say screw it all together to the larger, low volume cars. Even Lincoln of all companies abandoned the big 4 doors sedan that they once dominated.

One may ask “what if they’re lowering Model S/X prices because a refresh is coming, just like the Model 3, and then I’ll be driving a brand new-old model?” not to mention Model Y and the Performance versions of both? you’d end up never getting anything.

btw, I’m test driving the Lucid Grand Touring in the afternoon and I know, they are on the brink of bankruptcy, having Saudi money for 3 years or so, just one Service Center on Long Island (opened on August 5th), then again I like cars and will do it for fun, as I did with the Taycan, Merc EQS and Audi e-tron.
How was the Lucid?

How was the Lucid?
It was great. I drove the Lucid Air “Pure” and the “Grand Touring”; the “Touring” wasn’t available.

The car fit and finish is next level even for the entry level “Pure”, really luxurious and well done, spacious, Tesla’s interior is really, really cheap in comparison. The GT was even nicer with glass roof like Teslas; the “Pure” comes with metal roof, no sunroof available, oh well … all cars are AWD but there will be cheaper RWD “Pure” this month.

All models but “Pure” have power frank, trunk and soft closing doors. The range beats Tesla by a lot, recharging is faster too, without going too technical here.

The drive was solid and the “Studio advisor” using Lucid’s lingo, was a car guy and told me to “pretend I’m not here, just don’t crash”, so I said “Alright, let’s see what you got”, and it was awesome, on rails, the “sprint” mode asks for confirmation, just like the familiar “Ludicrous” would, the backroads of Manhasset will never be the same.

The huge dash in front of you looks like Taycan’s but better and the center console UI(user interface) is simpler, e.g. Tesla’s have too many sub-menus, toggles, sometimes cumbersome to find settings. The center console retracts itself too, which was cool. Some physical buttons for temperature, volume, etc. and stalks man! stalks, like a normal car … there’s Apple CarPlay too.

The 2 major features I found surprisingly missing as far as software were:

1 - There is no proper sentry mode like Tesla’s, no recording while you drive or honk. No camera watching from mobile app either. No nothing.

2 - There is no way to enable the rear and side cameras while you’re driving, say what? that’s right, so easy to do it if you ask me, but unavailable as of today…

but the backup camera is light years better, with bird’s eye view so crisp and detailed, you’d really wish you had that on Tesla’s.

No games, farts, boombox and video watching either; some would miss that, then again I wouldn’t.

We all know Lucid may not make it, Elon himself cursed them and said so; the Saudis guaranteed 3 years of cashflow, the “Air” is their only model, the “Gravity” SUV will be released in 2024 but it won’t be cheap either … they opened their first and only Service Center in Plainview, NY last month, in addition to mobile service like Tesla’s.

If it wasn’t for their financial perils I would get either the “Grand Touring” or the “Touring” right there and then (not really, they sell online like Tesla); the 2 aforementioned misses are easily addressed with OTA software updates.

I’d say the Lucid is better than a Model S in every way, a proper luxury EV, but few missing software features, easily added by updates.

I didn’t try their version of “Auto Pilot” and “FSD”; they have different naming for these, just so Tesla guys would associate with. I don’t care about any of these features, barely used AP and never wanted FSD either. I drive my cars.

I’d say every Tesla owner must test drive the Lucid and see for yourself what the Model S should’ve been.

Almost forgot, took my road bike with me for test fitting and it does fit … here are some pics …

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_9568.jpeg
    IMG_9568.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9572.jpeg
    IMG_9572.jpeg
    744.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9571.jpeg
    IMG_9571.jpeg
    729.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9570.jpeg