Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Plaid...but do you think it's "worth it"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. First time poster and potential first time Tesla owner. Here's a weird question if those who have owned a Plaid or similarly high performance variants of the Model S can chime in. I read a reddit post of a guy who bought a Plaid and sold it after like 6months aftert he basically got "ruined" by how fast the car was and also how un-usable that acceleration was in day to day driving causing him to ultimately sell the car.

A quick background: I rented a 2018 P100D with the Ludicrous+ mode on turo last year and after experiencing the most insane launch and acceleration I've ever felt in a car for a weekend...everything else feels slow and antiquated. I was really happy for a weekend and then of course my impulse was to start looking at owning a similar car. Then I thought that with daily commute i won't be doing those crazy launches and so if I do get a Plaid it's going to feel like I"m wasting money when the unique feature of the Plaid really can't be fully used frequently due to safety/legal reasons.

Someone posted this that resonates with me:
Once you reach the peak of the mountain, there is no where to go.

Sometimes the chase is more of a thrill than the ride. (my first car was a 1.8L Mazda Protege)

The Plaid is quick to the point of being indescribable and, equally disappointing. Disappointing in that there can be no fun had in a car that reaches 130 mph from 70 in less than 3 seconds. To be clear, the first couple of months is SHOCKINGLY fun, when that wears off and you acclimate to that kind of speed; it becomes normalized. A toe tap and you're doing 90. You find yourself turning it down so that you don't have to make millimeter adjustments in the volt pedal so you're not doing 10 over accidentally.

None of these things are new or interesting but, for my two cents all I can think of as I reflect on owning what can only be described as this, machine of speed is a Honda Civic SI, maybe a Golf R.I won't bore anyone here with a lethargic post about how the Plaid is in another league, as it would be a fruitless endeavor no doubt evidenced by the lack of shenanigans on the road to those that merely see the badge.

If this is the pinnacle, then it brings both equal admiration and, distain that is well deserved for both aspects and, I just don't know if I can really enjoy a car for more than 1.5-2 seconds at a time flooring it.

Of course the additional cost of the Plaid is another factor. Maybe I should just look for a pre-2021 P100D/Performance and get 90% of the acceleration of a plaid but pay way less so I feel not as much of the price not being worth it?

Thoughts on all this?

And a related note, any good guides/post on how to inspect/check for a used Tesla? I've done a fair amount of regular ICE car buying and know lot of the checks but any specific way that you can check the state of the battery of a Tesla prior to buying it?

Thanks!

Reactions: Msicario
I don't own or have driven a Plaid, however it's not the just the insane power you're getting with the refresh S.

Everything under the exterior (plus the better headlights) is brand new - interior, MCU, motors, suspension, quieter (double paned windows), and some more.

All I'm saying is that it's not just the speed that is different.

You'll also be buying a car with a balance of factory warranty (depending on the mileage) .

Reactions: phantasms and AAKEE
I don't own or have driven a Plaid, however it's not the just the insane power you're getting with the refresh S.

Everything under the exterior (plus the better headlights) is brand new - interior, MCU, motors, suspension, quieter (double paned windows), and some more.

All I'm saying is that it's not just the speed that is different.

You'll also be buying a car with a balance of factory warranty (depending on the mileage) .
speaking of refresh, I am also in the market for a long range S, ideally 400 miles, as we are a one car family. When I go to the Tesla website and it shows used inventory, it tells you the year, but doesn't indicate whether it's refresh or not. I gather that the S refresh was some time in 2021, but how can one tell from any listings, on tesla website or autotrader or wherever?? Am all ears. appreciate the info.

I’d get an older S. The used market got slaughtered and I’ve seen nice p100d’s for 60k. As you said when the newness wears off you are stuck with a depreciation machine. A 2019 or 2020 will be plenty of car and you’d still have a lot of battery warranty left. I don’t think there’s a huge difference between 2.6 seconds 0-60 and 2.0. They are both so fast. I have a p90d and it’s enough car to get you into trouble fast

Buy the Plaid. If you don't, you'll likely regret later you didn't. There are a lot of upgrades with just the refresh models over the past models alone.

If you buy the new MS LR, it will be slower to 60 than the old P versions. It will pull them from about 40 mph though and beat them in the quarter. It is quite an impressive car in its own right, just a fairly "soft" launch.

The Plaid though has no equal for a sedan and only one production car quicker than it. If you want it to be slower, just take it out of Plaid mode. I had a refreshed car; MS LR. I sold it and bought the Plaid. Best decision I made regarding a Tesla. The second best Tesla was not buying a Plaid when it came out as it was a 50k upcharge of my MS LR. For the minimal difference now buy the Plaid.

Here is what you'll get.
  • ~350 more HP, 3 motors vs 2
  • Carbon fiber wrapped motors
  • Track mode (read up on it, but drift mode is great fun and being able to dial in front to rear power is awesome)
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Carbon fiber interior trim
  • 177 mph top speed, unlocked to 200 mph if you buy the upgraded brake kit track pack
  • Insane fun when you can uncork, mild mannered otherwise
To add, one of the reasons you want either the Plaid or the LR, is their power doesn't fade after a few hard runs. Not to mention they don't just pull well to 60 mph, they keep pulling on up.

Find a good used 2022 with most of the updates but still with USS and have a great car for not a massive amount of money.

@Sohoprom - search for long range, not long range +. Just filter on 2022 or newer anyway as Only Plaid and LR's there and you'll most likely get the updated headlights and taillights, and some other upgrades.

Last edited:
I had a similar dilemma when initially wanting to order a new refreshed Model S. In the end I decided to go with the LR as opposed to the Plaid. Mostly because it is the exact same car down to brakes and tires but it was a $50,000 hike for the more HP. (Canada) Very happy with my decision, we have a Y with acceleration boost but the S is stupid fast in comparison even way over highway speeds. Go out and try a refreshed LR and you will see what I mean.

Thoughts on all this?
My perspective may be, probably is, an outlier view. I bought a Plaid, with 19" tires for longer tire life and better ride. I do not use anything at all like the capabilities of the car. Beyond my original P85D inconel upgrade to deliver Ludicrous I have rarely even accelerated quickly. The sheer responsiveness of the Plaid makes me love it. Logical, no possibility. OTOH I have a decades-long history of several Italian brands (never a Lamborghini, but Fiat, Alfa, Lancia, Maserati and Ferrari plus the odd Porsche, Morgan, Lotus etc. so I have no credibility about logic.

The Plaid does all the wondrous things while being a very practical, cheap to run sedan. It reminds me of a Mercedes Benz 300SEL6.3 I once owned regards practicality and fun to drive. The latter was phenomenally expensive to operate in every respect. Today there si the Supercar that is cheap to run, reliable, practical and stealthy.

My conclusion is to buy a Plaid if you can afford it. You'll never regret it. Just never try to justify it. There is no rational justification, just lust.
My second suggestion is to, if possible, NEVER buy a used very high performance car unless you know for sure that capabilities were rarely used.
One used Ferrari taught me that lesson. A Plaid that has used the capabilities frequently will probably have some suspension and drivetrain stresses that will reduce lifespan. Those may not be considered warranty items, If you're lucky they will be, but why have the hassle?

@ginmqi - if you go refreshed LR or a Plaid - just go with the 19" wheels. There have been some rear tire issues due to excessive rear camber that seem to impact the 21's. It is an easy fix, I did it on mine, and can be fixed inexpensively or you can through a lot more money at the problem.

I sort of broke down the delta a bit earlier between the Plaid and current LR. You can sort of assign value to some of the "upgrades".

Rear spoiler - $1,500 (real carbon fiber(CF))
Interior CF trim - $1,500
Track mode software - $2,000 (a huge benefit if you like backroads and the track. You get lateral torque vectoring for the rear wheels, customizable regen and a bunch more)
Extra motor, CF wrapped - $15,000 (amazing deal for a >50% increase in power)

From the outset I don't think Tesla did enough to separate the LR from the Plaid. At first there wasn't even track mode. That was a late addition. If I could have ordered the CF interior trim for my LR I would have done it but it is only for the Plaid. Someone took the trouble to retrofit it for an LR and I think they dropped about $1,500 so that is what I put as a value. The rear spoiler isn't cheap.

So when you get down to it, the cost of the upgrade is a screaming deal. The track mode is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Read about it here. You can't get it on the LR. It wasn't an option on the earlier S performance models either. I think the 2k value for it is conservative.

The Plaid is the first production car that ever had me going OMFG the first time I nailed it from a launch and kept the smile on my face up through triple digits. Even just a 0-20 mph launch is going to make you smile. To get even a beginning of a grin on my long range I had to be running at least 40 mph where the car finally woke up.

• Helpful
Reactions: RyanC1384 and unk45
MSLR at 670 ponies is plenty. What're you gonna do with over 1000 ponies? That's the question and only you can answer for yourself.
If all those ponies were uncorked or maybe geared appropriately at launch, I probably would have never bought a Plaid. The MS LR has about the same power as the outgoing P model. The $80k question is why is it SO much slower to 60 mph than the previous P model yet comes back to smoke in the 1/4 mile? In the real world it is about 1 second slower to 60 than the previous P model with ostensibly the same HP. It feels more like a 450 HP when you first launch that finally comes on "boost" at about 40 mph.

So either the gearing if off for it or they SW limited the power so it wouldn't compete with Plaid sales. I was pretty happy with my MS LR once it was rolling at 40+ mph but at launch my M3 LR w/boost is almost as quick on any given day. Their claimed 0-60 time of 3.1 is BS. Compared to the way they measure the P models, it would have been about a 2.9 sprint to 60 mph.

Reactions: RyanC1384
Thanks all for the replies. I can definitely see it now...and at this point lot of this is not truly "logical" or "worth it"...it's pure emotion and "lust" as one poster put it eloquently.

The price delta of the discounted Plaid in existing inventory is making it very attractive....there's a ultra red Plaid available for 108.5k (off of 115k msrp) with the 21" arachnid wheels...which is the ONLY thing I would change...I too would like just the 19" wheels for the longer range and better comfort.

I imagine it is pretty easy to find another Model S owner and trade/swap out the 21" Arachnids with the stock 19s?

You could probably find someone to do the swap. Don't go with 19's if you plan on going with the CCB kit for brakes. They won't work with anything smaller than 20's.

I'd just buy 20's (BC or signature) and flip the 21's. I don't hate 21's as much as I hate the factory 21's. The 21" Signature wheels on my car look great.

You could probably find someone to do the swap. Don't go with 19's if you plan on going with the CCB kit for brakes. They won't work with anything smaller than 20's.

I'd just buy 20's (BC or signature) and flip the 21's. I don't hate 21's as much as I hate the factory 21's. The 21" Signature wheels on my car look great.

Thank you! Yeah, definitely can recoup some cost with the 21s if I sell them 2ndary market and source a smaller wheel. I don't plan to get the CCB kit.

Does Tesla sell any OEM parts directly to the public (ie, wheels) or is that not really an option?

speaking of refresh, I am also in the market for a long range S, ideally 400 miles, as we are a one car family. When I go to the Tesla website and it shows used inventory, it tells you the year, but doesn't indicate whether it's refresh or not. I gather that the S refresh was some time in 2021, but how can one tell from any listings, on tesla website or autotrader or wherever?? Am all ears. appreciate the info.
All 2021+ Model S are the refreshed version (Pallidium) , they stopped selling the Raven+ version in 2020. Easiest way to visually confirm is the refresh is "blacked out", no chrome around the windows, door handle or trunk and the refresh has model 3/Y style center console and horizontal Infotainment screen

You can also look at the vin - All start 5YJSA1E,but the 8th spot identifies the motor:
5 = P2 Dual Motor - Refresh/Pallidium
6 = P2 Tri Motor - Plaid
2 = Dual Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction - 2020 and earlier models

I would have no problem with a Plaid if someone else were paying my insurance.:D Drove a long range refresh S last weekend, and it was in insane mode. That was plenty fast for me, although I still feel the need for Plaid speed. The S I drove had the 19 inch Continentals, and I thought the ride was more supple than my OG 17 100D. There are some good deals on used refresh S and Plaid cars. I'm looking to upgrade to get more range, faster charging, and CCS capability. Still not a fan of the yoke - if it were smaller and used drive by wire, I'd be all in.

Attachments

• 20230618_113944.jpg
    20230618_113944.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 20230618_120254.jpg
    20230618_120254.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 107
Thank you! Yeah, definitely can recoup some cost with the 21s if I sell them 2ndary market and source a smaller wheel. I don't plan to get the CCB kit.

Does Tesla sell any OEM parts directly to the public (ie, wheels) or is that not really an option?
There are so many better wheel choices out there than the Tesla wheels. As I mentioned 2 good ones to start with are BC and Signature. They apparently are made in the same factory. Likely cost less than the Tesla factory wheels and a lot lighter which helps with performance. Subjectively I think they look much better than the stock ones.

@myoda - my insurance is less on my Plaid than my 2022 MS LR or 2021 MY LR was. Only my M3 LR is cheaper to insure of the Tesla's I've owned and it is about $20 every 6 months cheaper.

Reactions: Darmie and myoda