Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cameras can detect speed limit signs and trash cans, but not stranded cars along the road?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I consider the latest version of Park Assist a great improvement over the previous version, I just think it's worth mentioning that driving along poorly lit roads at night remains a bit puzzling. For example, driving in the fog during a recent early morning drive I noticed the usual speed limit signs, trash cans, and traffic cones on the driver's cluster screen, all of which is greatly appreciated. But hidden between the trash cans along the side of a dark road are parked vehicles, often difficult to see. One would think the advanced Tesla Vision system would be able to detect a parked or stranded vehicle alongside the road. While waiting for a light to turn green, you can clearly see images of vehicles on both sides, as well as those turning in front of you at an intersection. With all the on-board detection and proximity network software one would think that parked / stranded vehicles should be detected. Doesn't need mentioning that striking a trash can or signpost wouldn't be anywhere as tragic as a stranded car. Hopefully this will be remedied on future OTA updates.

Reactions: fholbert
I agree, and hopefully it will improve. At least there should be a warning with foggy conditions, like there is with many rain showers, that there is system degredation. It should be able to see better than a human. Also, Tesla has just improved the ability to detect emergency and police vehicles on the side of the road since the NHTSA has complained it keeps receiving reports of the autopilot hitting stationary emergency vehicles.

Reactions: mm9351
It seems like they try to only show actual obstacles on your route or moving objects (vehicles) that might have an influence on you as you pass by like cars at the intersection. Parked cars won't move and shouldn't affect your driving if they are out of the way. I imagine the screen would be too noisy to have any use in city driving with cars parked on both sides.
That's just my guess as to why it is the way it is.