Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jhall,
One significant failure that takes life will be difficult for Tesla to overcome. It's a big gamble when you consider that AP is not core to the BeV mission (but may, as some suspect, be core to Tesla's ultimate mission with cars being autonomous driving).

As others have already commented, this functionality already exists in a small number of cars and has in some form for years now. No company has gone out of business as a result -- and have you even heard a story about a calamity?

Perhaps tesla is followed a little more closely or would be under greater scrutiny from people who want them to fail, but the reality is that this stuff is pretty far below the typical consumer's radar at this point.

Tesla allowing drivers to remove their hands from the wheel is not necessarily an indicator of technological leadership. It is simply a choice made by a small, aggressive company.

I'd wager hands on the wheel is going to be the requirement (save for short periods that the car will allow driving without hands, and then pester and/or disengage if hands don't return to the wheel). Of course, that allowance of _any_ hands free driving may be what you were referring to.

Can anyone recommend this as an Accessory for autopilot:
Amazon.com: Zone Tech Car Ipad Laptop/Eating Steering Wheel Desk: Automotive
51gu166efrL.jpg

I bought that to do exactly what's in the picture ... but the cut outs were too small and it was going to damage the steering wheel. Did you modify that or get a different model?

- - - Updated - - -

A FAVOR PLEASE:

I'll be on a 2 week road trip, starting, dammit, Thursday morning. Please, folks that do execute the update, post some pictures so that we that are unable to do it can at least live vicariously.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I'd wager hands on the wheel is going to be the requirement (save for short periods that the car will allow driving without hands, and then pester and/or disengage if hands don't return to the wheel). Of course, that allowance of _any_ hands free driving may be what you were referring to.

You'd lose that wager if the information from the article linked to in the first post in the following thread, written by someone who apparently has seen the beta version in action, is accurate:

First hand report of autopilot driving in electrek

No! You must continue to pay attention with lane keeping on. It is not autonomous driving. I beg of you to stop proliferating the idea that you can sit on your laptop, read a book, sleep, etc while lane keeping is on. This will cause Tesla to turn on every nag in the book and make it a very poor customer experience for all of us.

No! You must continue to pay attention with lane keeping on. It is not autonomous driving. I beg of you to stop proliferating the idea that you can sit on your laptop, read a book, sleep, etc while lane keeping is on. This will cause Tesla to turn on every nag in the book and make it a very poor customer experience for all of us.
(I bought it to use the Tesla as an office now and again, not to use while driving BTW)

It fits my Sequoia but not the Tesla.

andrew,
It's likely not forum members that you will need to worry about. It is the "I thought it was the auto drive me home button" types that are going to cause a majority of the problems.
Well we've seen at least 2 people on this forum so far misuse TACC and blame it for when they crashed, so I'm not hopeful that only non-forum members will do this.

Well we've seen at least 2 people on this forum so far misuse TACC and blame it for when they crashed, so I'm not hopeful that only non-forum members will do this.

What? You mean I shouldn't just let the car continue to hurl towards the car in front of me without intervention? You mean I shouldn't expect the car to stop me from hitting a garage wall? What? That's crazy talk! :rolleyes:

This is a huge safety hazard. When the car senses an obstacle in front of you and maneuvers around it by turning the steering wheel all the way the laptop is going to fall off and it might damage the laptop screen. It just needs a strap to firmly attach the laptop and then it will be completely safe :) The laptop also needs a whole in the middle of the screen for the airbag deployment as well...

There are going to be a lot of people setting their alarms for 4am to check their Tesla dashboard for an "update" message this Thurs/Fri/Sat and on and on until it comes. I will be late for work the day my update arrives as I'm definitely updating "NOW".

Its going to be like Christmas morning, only you're not sure which day Christmas is coming...