Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are going to be a lot of people setting their alarms for 4am to check their Tesla dashboard for an "update" message this Thurs/Fri/Sat and on and on until it comes. I will be late for work the day my update arrives as I'm definitely updating "NOW".

Its going to be like Christmas morning, only you're not sure which day Christmas is coming...

I still have my alerts setup for when my car is downloading something for more than a few seconds over WiFi. Rest assured I'll be immediately installing.

And just like tesla, none of them will release a self driving car for many years to come, so it's hardly relevant to this thread.
I think the precedent has been set by these statements and the auto companies are realizing that it would be difficult to escape liability.
As far as the difference between "self driving car" and "autopilot", this is just a matter of degree of autonomy, not a qualitative difference. They both have the car making decisions and controlling itself.

I think the precedent has been set by these statements and the auto companies are realizing that it would be difficult to escape liability.
As far as the difference between "self driving car" and "autopilot", this is just a matter of degree of autonomy, not a qualitative difference. They both have the car making decisions and controlling itself.
Show me any company that is willing to accept liability for autopilot or equivalent feature set and it will be relevant, but despite several companies releasing this feature set not one of them takes any responsibility for it and all of them state that the driver is still in control. This is driver assistance, not self driving and all the manufactures have been extremely clear on this point.

Show me any company that is willing to accept liability for autopilot or equivalent feature set and it will be relevant, but despite several companies releasing this feature set not one of them takes any responsibility for it and all of them state that the driver is still in control. This is driver assistance, not self driving and all the manufactures have been extremely clear on this point.

The fact that this needs to be explained is indication enough that we are going to see people taking naps after they engage Autopilot.

The fact that this needs to be explained is indication enough that we are going to see people taking naps after they engage Autopilot.
you are unfortunately correct. Luckily for tesla, their communications so far have been very clear and unambiguous, so those crashes won't be their problem.
The public will read those stories in the same light as they read the urban legend of the guy in the motorhome setting cruise and making a sandwich

No! You must continue to pay attention with lane keeping on. It is not autonomous driving. I beg of you to stop proliferating the idea that you can sit on your laptop, read a book, sleep, etc while lane keeping is on. This will cause Tesla to turn on every nag in the book and make it a very poor customer experience for all of us.

My attempt at humor.

That said, stupid people will do what stupid people will do, regardless of my joke or not.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...d-google-accept-liability-for-autonomous-cars
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/v...ject-in-sweden-video-photo-gallery-72343.html

Mercedes and Volvo have both announced they will accept liability for accidents, that's what the references above are about. They have more advanced lane keep assistance right now than Tesla does, although I'm hoping 7.0 will fix that.

Last edited:
I will remind my wife not to accept any firmware updates for the foreseeable future.
What a pity given the bugs in 6.2... but that UI? Not in my car.

*shrugs*

Seems silly to forego updates just because of the UI. Probably more trouble than it's worth, especially since you'd be rejecting key feature additions and improvements.

I personally would use the car if it had a Tandy 1000 text based interface and CGA graphics, as long as it does what it's supposed to. :p

*shrugs*

Seems silly to forego updates just because of the UI. Probably more trouble than it's worth, especially since you'd be rejecting key feature additions and improvements.

I personally would use the car if it had a Tandy 1000 text based interface and CGA graphics, as long as it does what it's supposed to. :p

But you're not actually old enough to have used CGA graphics yourself, right?

keen4cga1.png

*shrugs*

When I got the car it had two massive TACC malfunctions, one of which would have caused an accident if there had been a car behind me (HARD breaking on completely open road).
So I'd be interested in the lane hold in about 3-6 months, depending on the experiences others report (at this point I do use TACC and it mostly seems to work).
Of the remaining new features that have been leaked - I think the only one I'd say "dang, too bad I'm not getting this" is the individual pressure readings from my tires. Yeah, that's a bummer. The rest? I'd rather have a reasonable (to me) dashboard.

But you're not actually old enough to have used CGA graphics yourself, right?
Well, I am old enough to have used CGA graphics and let me tell you that it was a fantastic advance from text mode where we had to make pictures using only keyboard characters.
(Also, I love the new v7 UI!)

```````````.:;;;:,'',,,,.. +...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,::,,,;``,:,,,:#;.;;';.```````````````
```````````.;;'';;;;;;;';;:,;...,.,,;+#+;:,.`,...,:'##+:,...,,:::;''+'''''''''',...............
...........:'++';;;;';''';;;:'#:`,;;;:;;;;;; ,:::::::::;,`,@':'''''+'''''''+++:...............
...........;++++++;;'++++++'.+@+'';;;;:::::;'`'`:::::::::;'''+`+++++++''''+++++;...............
...........;+++++++++'++++':#@##+++'''''++++,'+@+''';;;''''+#@@#+++++++++++++++;...............
...........'+++++++++++++';#+#@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@:+@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@##@++++++++++++++;...............
...........'+++++++++++++:mad:##@#####+++''''''''''''''''''++###@###@++++++++++++''...............
...........',+++++++++++;#@#@@##@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@#@@@@#####,+++++++++++,'...............
...........':+++++++++++.##################++++++++###++++++++++#+'+''''+++''','...............
...........'++;+@++++++++######+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.'''''''@#;'''...............
...........'+.`:mad:@@@+++++`#####++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++;+''''##@#; .';```````````````
...........'+.:,@@:#@@#''' #+++####@#######@################''++.;;'+@@#:mad:@,,`';```````````````
...........'++;+';@@@':#+'''`.;#@@@@@@@@@@#@####@@@#@@#@@@@#;,`;;;'#:'@#@;'';++;```````````````
...........:'+++'@@+,@@@+''';;;;'';:,..````.`````````..:;;';;;;;;'+#@@,+@@+++++:```````````````
```````````++;'''###@@@',+###++++++++++++++'''''++++++++++++++###',:mad:@@##+'''';;```````````````
````````````+#++++++####@++###########@@###@@@@@###@@@##########++####++++++'#'````````````````
`````````````'++#+''+''++'+###########@#########################++++''+';++';;`````````````````
`````````````:##+++##+';;+'++++++++++##################+++#+++++;+';'++'';+##:`````````````````
`````````````.,##@@@#+'+++#+####+';;;;''++++++++++'';;;;;'+###++++''''#@#@##:``````````````````
`````````````.,;;'+++####+####+'++++++++#########++++++++'''++###+####+++';,,.`````````````````
````````````...,::;''+++++#########################################++++';::,..`````````````````
````````````...,,:;;'''+++++#####################################++++'';::,..``````````````````
``````````````..,,,::;;'''+++++##############################++++''';;:,,...```````````````````
````````````````....,,::;;;'''++++++++############+#++++++++++'';;::,,...```````` ````
````````````````````....,,,:::;;;'''''++++++++++++'''''';;;;:::,,,...`````````

___________ .__ _____ .___ .__ _________
\__ ___/___ _____| | _____ / \ ____ __| _/____ | | / _____/
| |_/ __ \ / ___/ | \__ \ / \ / \ / _ \ / __ |/ __ \| | \_____ \
| |\ ___/ \___ \| |__/ __ \_ / Y ( <_> ) /_/ \ ___/| |__ / \
|____| \___ >____ >____(____ / \____|__ /\____/\____ |\___ >____/ /_______ /
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/