Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up letting them expire and will let the stock get called away. I figured rolling them out is too risky since CSIQ could continue to take off and I don't want to chase it. I have lots of medium-term and leaps for CSIQ as well as shares anyways so losing 300 shares (which I had bought at $19) for $37 + initial premium seemed like a good way to lock in some profit and avoid bid/ask spreads and transaction fees by rolling it out.

I ended up letting them expire and will let the stock get called away. I figured rolling them out is too risky since CSIQ could continue to take off and I don't want to chase it. I have lots of medium-term and leaps for CSIQ as well as shares anyways so losing 300 shares (which I had bought at $19) for $37 + initial premium seemed like a good way to lock in some profit and avoid bid/ask spreads and transaction fees by rolling it out.

I did the same thing with my CSIQ stock and I had the same thought process as you except I sold covered calls at a $40 strike. I also have a substantial number of Jan 15 and Jan 16 LEAPS, and APR calls so I also am still profiting immensely if CSIQ keeps going up (when it goes up?). If it goes down I can buy the stock back. These shares I bought at $27 though.

Thanks to sleepy I do still have shares I bought at $14 in my roth IRA. Seems so long ago but it really was only half a year ago...I just wish I had gone full force on CSIQ at that time!

I did the same thing with my CSIQ stock and I had the same thought process as you except I sold covered calls at a $40 strike. I also have a substantial number of Jan 15 and Jan 16 LEAPS, and APR calls so I also am still profiting immensely if CSIQ keeps going up (when it goes up?). If it goes down I can buy the stock back. These shares I bought at $27 though.

Thanks to sleepy I do still have shares I bought at $14 in my roth IRA. Seems so long ago but it really was only half a year ago...I just wish I had gone full force on CSIQ at that time!

Those are the levels I bought CSIQ shares too. I expect CSIQ to continue to march on at least until March (no pun intended) when they release earnings and am betting heavy on it. Exciting times.

Here is an article that flyingroc posted to TCI this morning:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sec-judge-suspends-big-four-015318239.html

This is the reason why all US-listed Chinese companies are taking a big beating this morning.

Investing in Chinese solar stocks, as well as all other Chinese companies, is a huge risk and you really have to stay on top of the news stories if you want to invest there; but more importantly you have to be able to interpret the stories properly to gauge what the sentiment is going to be. Lots of risks and wild price swings based on news flow when it comes to Chinese stocks; most of it is FUD but nobody cares.

true, seems solar is taking a bigger hit.
Took advantage of the drop to get out from under the calls I'd sold earlier just before SPWR took off last week. I went from taking a pretty big hit on those to a non-event. I had a order set for a trigger point for basically break even, so I could have actually made a profit it'd I'd just sat and watched, but I'm good with this result.

Yay, solar roller coaster :)

Holding SOL Apr 19 $4.50 calls and JASO Mar 22 $10 calls. Both are down over 50% from what I bought them for and I'm just wondering if I should hold in hopes of a better days, or sell at a loss and buy Jan '15 leaps instead.

Does anyone see some good news / catalysts on the short term horizon for these two companies?

What's the better strategy here, the short term calls will go up much faster than Jan '15 leaps, on good news, but the risk is that the good news comes after expiration (as happened with my Dec 21 TSLA $160 calls).

sorry, it was meant to be lighthearted.
No worries, I got it :)

Edit:
JASO 11 Feb22 calls are .20 right now. That'd be a considerable gamble, but with any recovery and rising IV going into ER, it seems like a good risk/reward. High risk, but the stock was at $12 two months ago.

I've got an order to pick some up at market open if the price still holds at that point.

Last edited: