Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JinkoSolar upgraded to Outperform from Neutral at Credit Suisse

Credit Suisse just upgraded Jinko Solar (JKS) to outperform and raised PT from $22 to $32

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jinkosolar-upgraded-outperform-neutral-credit-101402107.html

Looks like the bigger banks are finally catching on. That is 40% upside.

For those of you who think that there will be one winner in solar are going to be disappointed. There are ~150 solar companies in China, but only ~11 of those are considered tier 1. Almost all, if not all, of the tier 1 companies will be winners. Some will win more than others.

That's why I recommend CSIQ as a long term winner. JKS is at least a short term winner. JASO and SOL are so undervalued that they could potentially reap the biggest short term gains. TSL and YGE are the most known and most covered companies and might get the nod from analysts first, before they figure out that the other companies are more undervalued.

It is all a guessing game regarding which one will go up first so you might as well buy them all. That is what I am doing.

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you who think that there will be one winner in solar are going to be disappointed. There are ~150 solar companies in China, but only ~11 of those are considered tier 1. Almost all, if not all, of the tier 1 companies will be winners. Some will win more than others.

Just after I posted this I stumbled upon this article:

http://www.solarserver.com/solar-ma...undermining-prices-for-western-companies.html

NPD Solarbuzz Inc. (Santa Clara, California, U.S.) reports that top-tier Chinese solar photovoltaic (PV) producers continue to gain market share, and are undermining “premium” module brands from the United States and Europe with lower prices, and setting the pace for global prices due to their dominant market position.

Credit Suisse just upgraded Jinko Solar (JKS) to outperform and raised PT from $22 to $32

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jinkosolar-upgraded-outperform-neutral-credit-101402107.html

Looks like the bigger banks are finally catching on. That is 40% upside.

Thanks sleepy! I was just wondering why JKS was up more than usual in pre-market. I share your view that JKS is a good short term investment. Ideally, I'd like to have a good run up with JKS and then move my position into more JASO.

The solar bull market is going strong. Good thing this is only the beginning.

BTW, Credit Suisse also updated its 2013 solard demand forecast to 37 GW's from 35 GW's.

Interesting to note the Solarbuzz had a demand forecast for 2013 of 31 GW's just 6 months ago. I think they have raised it to 37 GW's since then as well.

The solar bull market is going strong. Good thing this is only the beginning.

BTW, Credit Suisse also updated its 2013 solard demand forecast to 37 GW's from 35 GW's.

Interesting to note the Solarbuzz had a demand forecast for 2013 of 31 GW's just 6 months ago. I think they have raised it to 37 GW's since then as well.

What are good sources for research on these companies? I think its easy to identify TMC as the best research tool out there for Tesla, but I doubt there is anything similar for these companies.
Can you contribute more of your research on these fourms (links, papers etc.) as I think it would really help some of us who aren't as familiar with the industry get to know it better.

What are good sources for research on these companies? I think its easy to identify TMC as the best research tool out there for Tesla, but I doubt there is anything similar for these companies.
Can you contribute more of your research on these fourms (links, papers etc.) as I think it would really help some of us who aren't as familiar with the industry get to know it better.

That is my goal. Norse and I might set up a website to get the information out there.

We post a lot of the info here, but it gets lost very quickly.

As another relative n00b to solar investing, I would appreciate this very much.

+1. Even though solar was one of my first investments back in 2009-2011 (I guess it speaks about my research skills, but at the time I was sure that the recession is over and it's time to get in), it ended badly and I didn't look back until I started reading TMC's investor forums regularly. It's a bummer that I missed on a nice run this year, but it looks like this is only the beginning.

Looks like solar is having a run up for Q3 ER. Does anyone see any reason why there should be a pull back anytime soon? It feels like it's just better to get in now rather than wait for a small pull back and instead possibly miss on the run up.

I guess with those stocks one must "just do it"............ (sorry couldn't resist :-D)

So far I just went in with CSIQ and SCTY. I don't have the mental resources to keep all of those stocks under control as much as I need to invest without just gambling blindly. I'm considering getting into JUST one more stock though....just because the chinese solar story is too good to miss out on.

Looks like solar is having a run up for Q3 ER. Does anyone see any reason why there should be a pull back anytime soon? It feels like it's just better to get in now rather than wait for a small pull back and instead possibly miss on the run up.

I think you have to look for mid day pullbacks and not chase them on the way up. That said they will probably correct at least once before Q3 10%-15%. They can also go up 30% before correcting.

You just never know. That is why I advocate to buy and hold. If you commit to hold CSIQ for 1 year then I think you will be happy with the return.

I remember recommending SPWR to my friend about 6 months ago. He kept watching it go up and finally got in at $13 at the top. Then it slowly started going down and reached $9 at one point. I felt really bad, but now it is at $32 and he is very greatful for the advice.

I told him that it will go to $50 in 4 years. He said, wow if that happens I will take you out to dinner. Looks like I might be having that dinner 3 years early. Just shows how fast undervalued stocks can move.

I guess with those stocks one must "just do it"............ (sorry couldn't resist :-D)

So far I just went in with CSIQ and SCTY. I don't have the mental resources to keep all of those stocks under control as much as I need to invest without just gambling blindly. I'm considering getting into JUST one more stock though....just because the chinese solar story is too good to miss out on.

Haha :) I actually just did :) Continuing my strategy of selling DITM puts a few months out and hoping I can be assigned the shares.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you have to look for mid day pullbacks and not chase them on the way up. That said they will probably correct at least once before Q3 10%-15%. They can also go up 30% before correcting.

You just never know. That is why I advocate to buy and hold. If you commit to hold CSIQ for 1 year then I think you will be happy with the return.

I remember recommending SPWR to my friend about 6 months ago. He kept watching it go up and finally got in at $13 at the top. Then it slowly started going down and reached $9 at one point. I felt really bad, but now it is at $32 and he is very greatful for the advice.

I told him that it will go to $50 in 4 years. He said, wow if that happens I will take you out to dinner. Looks like I might be having that dinner 3 years early. Just shows how fast undervalued stocks can move.

Yea, I also just don't think it's worth it to try to time it perfectly. So what if I miss out on a few percentage points, I'm in it for the long haul and believe it will pay off. Don't want to get too greedy. :)

Once I do have more capital in the future then I'll just use any drop to accumulate more shares.

If anyone was waiting to get in on JKS, this might be the time. Credit Suisse analyst just upgraded to $32, and the stock is 6% off it's intraday high an is sitting now at $24.66.

If I wanted more JKS, I would be buying here. The odds are in the long's favor. Plus they are going to have a very profitable Q3, Q4, FY14, etc.

That is all you can do is play the odds.

Anyone one else find it interesting that csiq is the only chinese solar company with jan 16 options. In fact, the only other solar company I can find that has jan 16 options is solar city. Furthermore, only a handful of companies have jan 15 options, with the majority of Chinese companies having only march or April as the furthest expiration date. I am heavily invested in csiq and would like additional exposure to jaso and jks, but it looks like the only choices are march, April 14 options vs. shares.