Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Front visibility is bad

Super Glue a Rolls Royce Spirit of Ecstasy to the front of the hood.

1701436344710.png

Of the three , this is the best CT video I watched. It even included lots of best-of-Tesla historical facts that I did not know, such as the S broke the safety scoring system by getting a 5.4 out of 5.

Very entertaining and informative. They even executed the sledgehammer test to prove Tesla’s claim, vs a stainless steel fridge.

Then they ran a 1400kg sled running at 33.5 km/hr against the side panel to show that the steel skin did not need bracing for safety, and commented that whereas other cars would be a write off, the CT looked like it just needed two new doors and airbags to get back on the road.

1 hour ago.

Lots of impressive facts presented. E.g.View attachment 995386
Agree, great video

One small error is that he says there are 1366 4680 cells.

1366 only factors into 2 and 683, a prime number which doesn't support the parallel x series groupings needed.

1376 would yeild 2 packs of 86 * 8 which is similar to the 4680 Y 69x12 config (less parallel is needed when you have more series).
Why 2 packs? Drew B says the pack splits in half for Supercharging at 400V.

I'm 99% positive that the Powershare Mobile Connector does not have an inverter in it. We know they have AC coming out of the NACS port for Powershare to your house at 11.5kW. And can likely charge at 11.5kW as well. And I would think that the outlets in the vehicle can be active while charging, so the outlet have their own 9.6kW inverter.

I do wonder why the limited the Powershare Mobile Connector to 32A, when there should be much more power available.
Guessing cable size (and maybe Canadian regulations like the mobile connector was subjected to).

2 biggest takeaways;

Front visibility is bad
F150 and CT have the exact same usable bed space due to the recess.
The single wiper surface area coverage is poor and arguably unsafe. Door entry may be a problem in icy conditions.

And to a lesser extent, all those fingerprints and the F150EV turning radius comparison wasn't compelling. I think the CT wheelbase at 149.9" is about 4" longer.

So, you think they disable all of the 120/240v outlets in the truck while it is being charged on AC? (Including the ones in the cab.) Yeah, I don't think so.
@Cosmacelf
Well, technically, they could operate on a common AC bus, but that's not great systems wise.

FWIW, the PW3 has the same continuous power output as Cybertruck (but only 5kW max charge rate). Might be part/ circuit reuse...

@Cosmacelf
Well, technically, they could operate on a common AC bus, but that's not great systems wise.
I really doubt it. What if you are charging the Cybertruck on a 120v 15A circuit, but you want to pull 9.6kW from the outlet in the bed? You think it is going to supplement that from reversing the onboard charger and have the potential to back-feed into the EVSE as the load changes? (What if you are charging from a generator, you don't want to blow that up.)

I really think the V2H and outlets are completely separate systems that can be used at the same time. (I looked for the manual, but it doesn't appear to be online yet.)

Other way around. When it is outputting AC from the NACS port, it would disable AC output from the internal plugs.
Why? Charging and Powershare via NACS use the same inverter/charger. So if you disable the outlets with NACS Powershare, you disable it while NACS AC charging as well. (And that isn't likely to happen.)

I think the Powershare Mobile Connector has an inverter or needs an extra internal module as Mongo surmises. Would be nice to know one way or another.
I think that is highly unlikely.

Why? Charging and Powershare via NACS use the same inverter/charger. So if you disable the outlets with NACS Powershare, you disable it while NACS AC charging as well. (And that isn't likely to happen.)

Because I think the CT only has a 9.6 kW internal inverter. You think it has a 20 kW internal inverter. As usual with Tesla, they didn't give us all the info, so we'll have to wait and see what the Powershare Mobile Connector looks like. OR take a peek at the manual (and chances are, they don't even mention it there).

Reactions: HitchHiker71
I really doubt it. What if you are charging the Cybertruck on a 120v 15A circuit, but you want to pull 9.6kW from the outlet in the bed? You think it is going to supplement that from reversing the onboard charger and have the potential to back-feed into the EVSE as the load changes? (What if you are charging from a generator, you don't want to blow that up.)

I really think the V2H and outlets are completely separate systems that can be used at the same time. (I looked for the manual, but it doesn't appear to be online yet.)
I also think they are separate systems. However, a bidirectional charger *could* supplement load-grid, same way non-export Powerwalls do.

Because I think the CT only has a 9.6 kW internal inverter. You think it has a 20 kW internal inverter.
It can't only have a 9.6kW inverter, as it outputs 11.5kW via NACS for V2H.

I think it has:
  • 11.5kW bidirectional charger. Used for charging, V2H, and Powershare Mobile Connector.
  • Onboard 9.6kW inverter used for on-board outlets in the bed and cab. (Sadly, no outlets in the frunk.)

Reactions: Cosmacelf and mongo
However, a bidirectional charger *could* supplement load-grid, same way non-export Powerwalls do.
But a Powerwall isn't generator compatible. If you have a generator it has to be in front of the Tesla Gateway, so you never have power from the generator and Powerwall at the same time. (At least that is my understanding, as they don't want to blow up the generator because of reaction lag time.)

I think I got that right, but I'm not sure now.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
But a Powerwall isn't generator compatible. If you have a generator it has to be in front of the Tesla Gateway, so you never have power from the generator and Powerwall at the same time. (At least that is my understanding, as they don't want to blow up the generator because of reaction lag time.)

I think I got that right, but I'm not sure now.

Yeah, generator is a different beast entirely. However, PW shouldn't blow up a genset assuming it knows it's a genset (versus stable 60Hz grid). Highly dependant on the unit quality though.

I think the Powershare Mobile Connector has an inverter or needs an extra internal module as Mongo surmises. Would be nice to know one way or another.
I didn't mean to imply that the PMC has anything active (maybe gfci). I think CT sends AC out its charger.