Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting.

If the pack is 123kWh on the dual motor, then 300 mi of range would equate to about 2.439mi/kWh.

Assuming that's accurate (it probably isn't!), then a 500 mi CT would require somewhere around a 200kWh battery pack.
Seems roughly in line with all the other trucks getting big range though right -- and it will not be a cheap vehicle just due to the sheer battery size

Even the dual-motor version with a 120 kWh battery will surely not be as cheap as the announcement numbers. How can it be when a Model Y LR with a 78 kWh battery is $49k? Either the price needs to go up, or Tesla would likely be eating a loss on it.

Seems roughly in line with all the other trucks getting big range though right -- and it will not be a cheap vehicle just due to the sheer battery size

Even the dual-motor version with a 120 kWh battery will surely not be as cheap as the announcement numbers. How can it be when a Model Y LR with a 78 kWh battery is $49k? Either the price needs to go up, or Tesla would likely be eating a loss on it.

The price for the CT will definitely be higher than Tesla proposed in 2019, that is near 100% certain. The question is how much higher?

My hunch is $65,000 for the dual motor and $80,000 for the tri motor. I feel they will try to keep the pricing within the bounds of the IRA rebates. We'll know tomorrow at last (hopefully).

In 2019 Tesla projected a CT with dual motors and 300 miles of range for $50k.

Adjusted for inflation that would be $60,200 today.

A Ford Lightning dual motors with 320 miles of range has an MSRP of $70k. A base dual motor 240 mile range truck has an MSRP of $50k.

A base dual motor CT with 18" wheels and 320 miles of range at $68k would be a fine price.

Tesla could adjust prices down later. Or upward if reservations converted to orders at a silly high rate.

Interesting thoughts about the range photo in this thread

I think the range by speed is rather pointless - I think what matters more is:

Dual motor CT w/18" wheel/tire package: 330 mile range
Dual motor CT w/19" wheel/tire package: 315-320 mile range
Dual motor CT w/20"+ premium wheel/tire package: 295-305 mile range

This is the same thing we see with every other model from Tesla - the larger the wheel/tire package - the less the estimated range. Chances are most of the showroom CT models, like the one I saw with my own eyes in Montgomery Mall last Saturday, have the premium wheel/tire package - which will have the lowest range estimates. Likely the same with the one in the photo we're seeing here with the 265 mile range at 90% - right on target if this CT has the premium wheel/tire package.

Of course TSLA needs to maximize CT revenue. Add to that demand pricing and early CT buyers will likely pay a premium price for the entry model CT. Worst case $79k. It all comes down to how bad you want it.

Earlier today Phil LeBeau (CNBC) said tomorrow's CT release might be short and sweet with few details on production and pricing. We'll see soon enough.

The price for the CT will definitely be higher than Tesla proposed in 2019, that is near 100% certain. The question is how much higher?

My hunch is $65,000 for the dual motor and $80,000 for the tri motor. I feel they will try to keep the pricing within the bounds of the IRA rebates. We'll know tomorrow at last (hopefully).
I “hope” the price is just adjusted for inflation. I can dream.

Reactions: AndrewZ and Mengy
That range is sure not very encouraging. When hauling stuff (not towing) the increased weight would reduce the range even more.
It's right in line with what they announced in 2019 for the Dual Motor version. I expect the Tri (or Quad?) motor version to have longer range and be launched at a later date, but hopefully confirmed tomorrow.

Increased weight will have far less of an effect on range than speed/towing/aerodynamics (think tonneau cover open with large objects in the back), but I get your implication. I think everyone knows that when trucks do truck things, their range is reduced, even when burning diesel.

Personally want one for towing an RV long distances on roads where Superchargers are sparse. I'll be sitting on the sidelines until one comes out with substantially better range then our Model X. Around the 500 miles range for the Trimotor version at the reveal would be great and I'm still optimistic, but expecting to have to wait a couple of years still, even though I reserved that first weekend.

Adjusting the Cybertruck price for inflation would maybe seem a bit odd when you consider not a single vehicle/trim in Tesla's lineup today costs more than it did when the Cybertruck was announced.

There are of course all sorts of nuances around that like economies of scale and such since late 2019, but Tesla's lineup has experienced legitimate deflation (with some volatility in there) since 2019 even in nominal terms much less real terms.

Adjusting the Cybertruck price for inflation would maybe seem a bit odd when you consider not a single vehicle/trim in Tesla's lineup today costs more than it did when the Cybertruck was announced.

There are of course all sorts of nuances around that like economies of scale and such since late 2019, but Tesla's lineup has experienced legitimate deflation (with some volatility in there) since 2019 even in nominal terms much less real terms.
Well we've heard from Elon how expensive and difficult the CT was to build and produce. That's where the price increases will come from. Concept is easy, production is hard.

Well we've heard from Elon how expensive and difficult the CT was to build and produce. That's where the price increases will come from. Concept is easy, production is hard.
Definitely I think it'll cost more, but using inflation might be a hard sell considering

Went through each trim in the price history spreadsheet, actually wild to think that every single one is cheaper today than in late 2019 after the craziest bout of inflation likely any of us have seen in our lifetimes