Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many years you been driving?

I have driven in the worst traffic in the world in India, and everyone with me in the car was going crazy that I was not honking like everyone does over there. They were 200% sure we will have an accident.

They were disappointed. Focus on the traffic, and your steering amd your brakes. Horns are useless and overrated, unless you are a TRUCK or TRAIN driver.
Don’t know about that, I drove in a small town in eastern India for 10 years, used horn more than I used the accelerator pedal. Even then, had to get out of the car to move the cow from the middle of the road all the time 😀

Don’t know about that, I drove in a small town in eastern India for 10 years, used horn more than I used the accelerator pedal. Even then, had to get out of the car to move the cow from the middle of the road all the time 😀
ahaha, that is a serious obstacle. Sometimes an elephant. Sometimes just people who decided to stand in the road. Monkeys, I have had to stop for monkeys. But don't get me wrong, I really liked India, what a great experience.

I was there for an extended period of time. Never used the horn. Never got in an accident. I drove in Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore to name a few cities.

I have the Tesla now for 14 months. Never heard how the horn sounds like.

Honking is akin to shouting. Nobody listens to what you have to say when you are shouting.

Exactly. The honking is not even getting the cow moving. You have to physically get it done.

Honking is just shouting, and all it does is alarm the people around resulting in a quick erratic action, which actually leads to more erratic actions by others around them, and an accident.

So just because something cannot prevent something 100% of the time it’s completely useless?

What kind of failed binary logic is that?
Think about it. The driver of the reversing car probably knows exactly how far s/he can go, so much so that people who are not as confident will shout (honk).

Stating it as useless is my fault. It can be used in certain cases but is not important.

This is what traffic experts have to say

“It corrects nothing, eases nothing, facilitates nothing”

“The honk isn’t a warning, in virtually every typical case. It’s a way to air a grievance. It’s a sign of aggression. It’s a reprimand.”

Charles de Gaulle decried that anyone hitting a horn without good reason be hanged.

So just because something cannot prevent something 100% of the time it’s completely useless?

Saying it is completely useless is hyperbole, but saying it is "unnecessary" for safety is probably more fitting. As noted by others the federal government and a vast majority of states have no requirement for a horn, so obviously they don't see it as a necessary safety device (even a rear view camera is deemed more necessary).

That said, I do agree that having the horn on the center is a better place for it, for those that use it.

Reactions: enemji
LoL all this horn discussion, how many people have actually used it? My neighbor with an MS showed me how he can just push/press his palm on the side which has horn button like a traditional horn and it works. You don't need to selectively press the actual touch button for Horn, Tesla accounted for that.

Having said that, removal of USS and radar is just going backwards for the sake of lowering cost and flooding the market with Tesla cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 124chase
LoL all this horn discussion, how many people have actually used it? My neighbor with an MS showed me how he can just push/press hispalm on the side horn button like a traditional horn and it works. You dont need to only press the actual touch button for Horn, Tesla accounted for that.

Yep, that works. I know, I do it accidentally at least once a week on the street behind mine. It has something to do with the street intersection and layout, but I find myself grabbing the wheel and covering the buttons just so - and it triggers the horn, in front of the same home every time. That neighbor is going to think I’m some kind of nutcase. (They wouldn’t be wrong …)

Reactions: Technokrat

“Binary Logic”? What kind of Liberal Arts smart argument is this?

You are the one claiming binary situation- Horn is safe. No horn is not safe.

I am proposing 50 shades of grey here. There are many variables at play in a safety situation and claiming that honking a horn is the one amazing definite way of addressing it is laughable at best.

So how much does the removal of USS and radar reduce the price of the car? So if the cost comes down by say 1k or 2k, all of a sudden it'll lead to many more buyers buying Teslas? OTOH those buying Teslas will not buy because what USS adds to the cost?