Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we get Park Assist on Model S with HW4 and no USS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for many of us with the latest HW4, no USS and the latest software update 2023.6.11.2 we remain without functional Park Assist. I recall signing a "waiver" on my order that this feature would be absent until a future update becomes available. Yet from what I see, the latest release adds Park Assist to Models 3/Y only. We were promised that it would be available for 2023 Models S/X soon after 2023.6.11+ dropped. Can anyone confirm that it's still in the works for S/X owners, and if so, when? Navigating into parking garages, lots, etc. without any audible or graphical assistance is not easy with these rather large vehicles. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Honestly, I don't know if it will ever work. After driving a 3 with TeslaVision for parking sensors, it seems like a humongous gap it has to close to be even be remotely usable. I can see some situations where it will have no chance at working well at all, not to mention the cameras can't see the corners of the car even close to what the USS did.

If I were you, I'd be buying a front-mounted wireless camera and install it immediately. You are likely in for a long wait until you would want to even entertain the thought of using TeslaVision for parking. Remember, you are working with Tesla time, not a normal human's sense of time.

Honestly, I don't know if it will ever work. After driving a 3 with TeslaVision for parking sensors, it seems like a humongous gap it has to close to be even be remotely usable. I can see some situations where it will have no chance at working well at all, not to mention the cameras can't see the corners of the car even close to what the USS did.

If I were you, I'd be buying a front-mounted wireless camera and install it immediately. You are likely in for a long wait until you would want to even entertain the thought of using TeslaVision for parking. Remember, you are working with Tesla time, not a normal human's sense of time.
Agreed 100%. I can pretty much guarantee it will never work as well as USS, which, while never flawless themselves, are light years better than relying on cameras, especially in rain where the rear camera is completely useless.

Reactions: StevenSD
Thanks for the inputs! To be honest, my experience with USS on the Model 3 was far from perfect, but still 'better than nothing'" as what we have on the MS. While looking forward to Tesla Vision in the near future, I guess I should be lowering my expectations based on what we know so far. Even with a perfected Tesla Vision system, it will still inevitably be inferior to having a '360 heads up display' as found on BMW, Mercedes, and even Hyundai. It continues to amaze me that a vehicle with 8 on-board cameras cannot generate a high-resolution heads-up parking display.

Reactions: aerodyne
Our non USS MYP that we purchased in November 2022 did not get Vision Park Assist until late March I believe. So 4 months give or take. I suspect during that time they were gathering data from cars in the field to refine the software. To be fair, I find the Vision Park Assist to be conservative but fine for my needs. I suspect it will be the same with my Model S (delivery March 30) when it gets the update.

Perhaps the same data gathering is happening with S/X since deliveries of non USS cars just started in late Feb/early March.

Reactions: mm9351
So for many of us with the latest HW4, no USS and the latest software update 2023.6.11.2 we remain without functional Park Assist. I recall signing a "waiver" on my order that this feature would be absent until a future update becomes available. Yet from what I see, the latest release adds Park Assist to Models 3/Y only. We were promised that it would be available for 2023 Models S/X soon after 2023.6.11+ dropped. Can anyone confirm that it's still in the works for S/X owners, and if so, when? Navigating into parking garages, lots, etc. without any audible or graphical assistance is not easy with these rather large vehicles. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Right after FSD....that is, Never

Since the car is moving, landmarks on the ground can be interpolated from visible areas even when they are no longer directly visible. They have been doing this with the stop line on the road for years as it disappears from the camera view in the front of the car, so I think a marked parking spot would not be too difficult

Reactions: mm9351 and whenryb
There is no camera on model S that can see the area immediately in front of the front bumper. Tesla will need to add cameras or sensors to have a properly functioning park assist feature.

I don't think the Y has a bumper camera either. Vision based Park Assist is enabled and functioning using the windshield camera. Depends on your definition is "properly." From my perspective, it works.

I don't think the Y has a bumper camera either. Vision based Park Assist is enabled and functioning using the windshield camera. Depends on your definition is "properly." From my perspective, it works.
Yep, definitely works, especially on the rear… 👀

I’ll never get tired of posting this image.

Attachments

• IMG_2482.png
    IMG_2482.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 607
If you aren't drinking the Tesla Kool-Aid, let's be real about this. Is this the kind of solution you'd want to see on a 100k car? Hell, if this was done on my 3 I'd be pissed off as well.

I worked as an engineer in my former life. I didn't change or remove something until I had a fully baked replacement. Removing the radar in 2021 and then USS now has just been a total cluster truck of how not to do something if you actually care about your customers. I think we all know the answer to that question if being honest.

Would it be technically possible for Tesla to add USS to cars without them, if they decided to go back to using them? I’m not suggesting Tesla would ever do that, but I’m wondering if they could.
Sure it’s technically possible. But it will never, ever happen. No way in hell Tesla is going to add in a bunch of removed wiring and drill a bunch of holes in the bumpers of half a million and counting cars.

Fair but if you need some beeps to keep from hitting an object you can see clearly in the camera then find another mode of transportation.
You mean those objects you can't see clearly in the camera because it's raining in say... Seattle for months on end, which renders that rear camera pretty much useless? Also, humans aren't infallible, and momentary distractions can be disastrous. Let's all agree the more nannies for parking successfully and easily - the better.

Would it be technically possible for Tesla to add USS to cars without them, if they decided to go back to using them? I’m not suggesting Tesla would ever do that, but I’m wondering if they could.
Yes, back in the day, it was a $6500 retrofit when they offered it for the classic s's wen they released the first version of USS. It was a total of 4 sensors, 2 front 2 rear.

Reactions: dsm363
Yes, back in the day, it was a $6500 retrofit when they offered it for the classic s's wen they released the first version of USS. It was a total of 4 sensors, 2 front 2 rear.
I guess it depends on how much of the USS infrastructure they removed when removing the sensors. If they had to reinstall wiring like @ucmndd said, then I don't suppose it would worth doing, but if they just need to install the sensors, it might be doable.