Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the horn button on your Land Rover a physical button or a touch pad? The issue with the horn on the refresh Model S/X is that it's a touch pad that is difficult to find by feel. So when you need the horn urgently, you have to look at the yoke/wheel instead of at the road. Extremely unsafe design.
Nobody needs to use the horn urgently. Never.

You need to use your brakes urgently.

Think about it. If you are unable to make sense of the statement above, you need help, urgently.

The issue with the horn on the refresh Model S/X is that it's a touch pad that is difficult to find by feel. So when you need the horn urgently, you have to look at the yoke/wheel instead of at the road.
My semi-serious suggestion: Practice using it. Have your wife scream "AAAH!!!" and immediately press the horn button. Do this thirty times until it becomes automatic.

• Funny
Reactions: mgs333
Nobody needs to use the horn urgently. Never.

You need to use your brakes urgently.

Think about it. If you are unable to make sense of the statement above, you need help, urgently.
I can make sense of it, but I 'm not sure it makes sense. Maybe I need help!

I'm on the left lane of the highway with someone tailgating me, and someone in the adjacent lane starts drifting toward me, obviously unaware of my presence. Using the horn urgently while simultaneously using the brake and checking the guy behind me could avoid a crash.

You can use both urgently at the same time. We have simultaneous independent control of each limb and can multitask.

Both the brake and horn should be able to be used instinctively and reflexively without having to look or think about it. Of course the brake is more important than the horn if you had to pick between the two, but the horn can be a useful safety device used to quickly warn other road users. A couple seconds of delay while you have to look down and find the horn button means the critical moment has passed and the horn will no longer serve it’s intended purpose. Not to mention having to look down and process where the horn button is while trying to navigate a critical situation.

You can use both urgently at the same time. We have simultaneous independent control of each limb and can multitask.

Both the brake and horn should be able to be used instinctively and reflexively without having to look or think about it. Of course the brake is more important than the horn if you had to pick between the two, but the horn can be a useful safety device used to quickly warn other road users. A couple seconds of delay while you have to look down and find the horn button means the critical moment has passed and the horn will no longer serve it’s intended purpose. Not to mention having to look down and process where the horn button is while trying to navigate a critical situation.
A horn is not needed for safety. EOS.

It is in fact required legally in most cases and cars will fail safety inspections for not having horns in most jurisdictions.
Correct. I agree on that limited legal requirement in few states. But in terms of priority you spending even miliseconds on the horn is milliseconds you wasted on the execution of a steering maneuver and brakes.

Remember we are not driving a train on tracks and trying to shoo away cows sitting on it leisurely.

Correct. I agree on that limited legal requirement in few states. But in terms of priority you spending even miliseconds on the horn is milliseconds you wasted on the execution of a steering maneuver and brakes.

Remember we are not driving a train on tracks and trying to shoo away cows sitting on it leisurely.
Proper defensive horn use can eliminate the need to perform evasive steering and hard braking maneuvers.

• Funny
Reactions: WyoDude
Defensive Horn? You must be a train driver.
Many times I see someone start creeping into my lane next to me on the highway or stopped at an intersection creeping forward about to pull out into my path because they didn’t see me or misjudged my speed, and my horn use has stopped them. So the horn eliminated the need for hard braking or evasive steering maneuvers.

Many times I see someone start creeping into my lane next to me on the highway or stopped at an intersection creeping forward about to pull out into my path because they didn’t see me or misjudged my speed, and my horn use has stopped them. So the horn eliminated the need for hard braking or evasive steering maneuvers.
How many years you been driving?

I have driven in the worst traffic in the world in India, and everyone with me in the car was going crazy that I was not honking like everyone does over there. They were 200% sure we will have an accident.

They were disappointed. Focus on the traffic, and your steering amd your brakes. Horns are useless and overrated, unless you are a TRUCK or TRAIN driver.

• Funny
Reactions: E90alex