Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016's getting pushed back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could this possibly mean that they are changing something or adding features? Seems that they got the 2015's out, and obviously are trying to work through the Model X backlog, but maybe they are holding off on Model S's to make an update that they'll announce later? One can only hope that the wait is worth something!

I hope so too... I have ordered in October for earliest delivery in 2016. Currently it's on Late February - March

I placed my order on Jan 5 & immediately confirmed the order rather than wait until it's automatically confirmed. It was "Late February" delivery but no updates or VIN since 3 days ago. I hope it does not push back too far since I already sold my 911; I may order a Rear Console so I have something to play with...:crying:

UPDATE: received the VIN & delivery is now Late March/Early April. Rats...

I hope so too... I have ordered in October for earliest delivery in 2016. Currently it's on Late February - March

I'm not sure Tesla knows what they are doing. It's like they think since we selected January for delivery back when we ordered in October means they can build our cars "whenever" they get around to it.

I thought I was in the same boat until today. Ordered a 70D for delivery in Chicago.

Ordered 12/17/2015
Production Started: 01/08/2016

Perfect case in point. How does a car ordered mid December get built before a car ordered in October with both January build times? It appears that overseas orders, model X etc, push those of us that ordered in October to the end of the line and it's starting to piss me off.

I'm not sure Tesla knows what they are doing. It's like they think since we selected January for delivery back when we ordered in October means they can build our cars "whenever" they get around to it.

Perfect case in point. How does a car ordered mid December get built before a car ordered in October with both January build times? It appears that overseas orders, model X etc, push those of us that ordered in October to the end of the line and it's starting to piss me off.

Perhaps it has something to do with parts availability? They are building what they can based upon what is on hand at the time as parts supplies filter in from sub-assemblers and suppliers. Having worked for some complex manufacturers in the past, on the IT side, I can tell you that when you explode a Bill of Material for a build, a missing part can cause that build to be rescheduled. It is not easy.

Especially in this world of Just In Time consigned inventory.... a port slowdown, crashed truck, or bad weather can do untold harm to the inventory pipeline. I can recall that we actually furloughed 3,000 assembly employees for over 2 weeks due to a lack of a supply of $25 bearings. Helicopters use many bearings.

Last edited:
Whilst I do have sympathy do remember us sitting on the other side of the pond who got ignored for a month while they rushed out US deliveries to meet their targets. We then have to add on about another 60 days to ship from California to the UK with a partial dismantle and then rebuild in the Netherlands. Also don't forget that there are a lot of Model X people who have been waiting a long time, I expect they are trying to push up production of those.

I noticed last evening on the configuration area of the Tesla Design Center, that Model S' delivery date changed from Late February to March. And here we are essentially in the 2nd week of January.

Probably because early in the quarter they ship a bunch of Model S units for overseas deliveries.

Seems like Tesla needs a full factory somewhere in Europe so they can fill European orders quicker.

Ordered my S85D on Christmas Day (Merry Christmas to me!) and stated end of Feb arrival, however, I requested May delivery to give me time to set up the garage, charger and clear the snow and salt off the road for spring delivery. I suspect they got lots of orders from the referral program and expect the Model 3 to cannibalize the S and X orders in March when it debuts. So they are pushing out orders and smoothing out the delivery lumps to stretch out the manufacturing of S's and X's until they can make the 3's. Also, might get an S facelift at the same time (hoping!).

Not an expert on this, but analyzing individual delays for US orders, it looks to me as Model S with the 70kWh battery are available sooner than the ones with 90kWh. I would assume this is related to production ramp up of the Model X, which seems to be produced in the 90kWh configuration only right now. I say: shortage of supply in 90kWh packs.

my 2 cents

Not an expert on this, but analyzing individual delays for US orders, it looks to me as Model S with the 70kWh battery are available sooner than the ones with 90kWh. I would assume this is related to production ramp up of the Model X, which seems to be produced in the 90kWh configuration only right now. I say: shortage of supply in 90kWh packs.
We confirmed 70D on Jan. 5 or 6 and the website reports March - Early April. It was late Feb. when we ordered.

When I ordered in October for early January delivery, I though they had enough time to plan and would start production Nov/Dec to accommodate my delivery preference. But it's already mid January and production hasn't started. Very disappointed...

I don't think there's any evidence that 2016's for US delivery are being pushed back. In looking at the Google spreadsheet, most of the orders are simply for European customers. US orders are still going into production as well. All models, regardless of battery size, seem to be moving along. When comparing to past quarters, this quarter looks about the same. While my delivery date is current Late February - March, I think it's likely to start production before the end of this month, based purely upon VIN #'s (where they are currently and their average progress through VIN's on a weekly basis).

Even though the my.teslamotors site tells me that my car is still in production, my DS told me today that the car was finished yesterday and loaded onto a truck today. Wonder if they're just not as good about keeping up with status...

When I ordered in October for early January delivery, I though they had enough time to plan and would start production Nov/Dec to accommodate my delivery preference. But it's already mid January and production hasn't started. Very disappointed...

I ordered Oct 30th and my car hasn't even been allocated parts yet for production according to my DS. This is what he said: Order payments are not refundable, they can be transferred to inventory vehicles or Pre-Owned. We have until January 15[SUP]th[/SUP] to transfer your order, after that point Tesla will begin allocating resources for your upcoming Model S production.

​So a car ordered Oct 30th and they haven't even begun to allocate resources for it's production. That doesn't sound odd?

Even though the my.teslamotors site tells me that my car is still in production, my DS told me today that the car was finished yesterday and loaded onto a truck today. Wonder if they're just not as good about keeping up with status...

I've read this a LOT in other delivery threads. I've also heard of a lot of people getting their cars a month early (one of my neighbors did in November).

Also, about US orders being pushed back, if you look in the Oct/Nov/Dec 2015 tab of the Model S Order & Delivery spreadsheet and you'll see there are US orders there that are being produced as well (people just didn't put their info on the right tab). Overall, it looks like this week VIN's 122,000 to 123,000 are mostly rolling into production. Based upon the production counts they released for 4th quarter 2015, they produce roughly 1,300 model S's a week (17,192 model S's produced in 4th qtr 2015). So take your VIN #, subtract 122,000 from it, and divide by 1,000 to figure out how many weeks until yours should hit production, if not earlier than that. As of right now, the highest VIN # to be recorded as "in production" on the spreadsheet is 123,178. The only cars going into production this week with VIN's below 122,000 are cars that were not ordered for "earliest delivery".