Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm now waiting to see how long it takes before we see the comparison on this thread between the shrink wrap spy shot and the Melbourne poster! The doubters have one last shot at denial. The only thing left to debate on the spy shots is if they go back into the factory for finishing or they are shipping for the unlucky few who are about to get a new classic..

Last post on the subject -- but I do still think the spy photo of the wrapped noses are not the new nose only because the open "gap" of the new nose is very narrow compared to the same "gap" on the wrapped nosecones. The new nose open "gap" looks to be about 1", the wrapped gap looks to be about 2". Obviously I'm not denying that the facelift actually happened, just that the spy photos are not new facelift cars.

Did anyone catch the last sentence on the refreshed model s page under Autopilot and the "new" Summon feature.

Autopilot
Autopilot allows Model S to steer within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by using active, traffic-aware cruise control. Digital control of motors, brakes, and steering helps avoid collisions from the front and sides, and prevents the car from wandering off the road. Autopilot also enables your car to scan for a parking space and parallel park on command. And our new Summon feature lets you "call" your car from your phone so it can come greet you at the front door in the morning.

Autopilot features are progressively enabled over time with software updates

Last post on the subject -- but I do still think the spy photo of the wrapped noses are not the new nose only because the open "gap" of the new nose is very narrow compared to the same "gap" on the wrapped nosecones. The new nose open "gap" looks to be about 1", the wrapped gap looks to be about 2". Obviously I'm not denying that the facelift actually happened, just that the spy photos are not new facelift cars.
Just look on the official website to see for yourself. Order your Tesla Model S | Tesla Motors

Different nose for different folks?

In my (not-so-humble) opinion, I am not a big fan of faux grilles, and think that the Model X slit looks worse than the Model S cone. If I had my way, the Models S, X, and 3 would all look much better by simply tapering and blending the front end to the hood and body, like this 'shopped variation on the latter:

3_best_lg.jpg

Perhaps I'm partial to such front ends because I really loved the look of an Alfa Romeo Spider that I once owned:

alfa.jpg

It is also one of the reasons I still wish an automaker would resurrect the EV1:

ev1.jpg

In short... the less one notices the lack of a grill... the better. Others... will disagree... adamantly.
AFAIK, nose can't be that sharp to protect pedestrians? I think in EU there's a regulation about that I thought.

I like my old nose better.
All in all, I'd like the headlights and maybe the filter. Beyond that, not much that attracts me in this new version.
I think I'll order the dual charger while they're still available...

I just noticed the Dual charger upgrade went up in price from $1500 to $2000. Dang, I knew that was going to happen sooner or later, oh well.

The new look is very nice and ties in the entire model line cohesively.
I am in the minority who prefers the old nose cone.
Love the lights and the standard wood (sad I missed that). I don't miss the center console because my wife wanted the open center console for her purses (and her purses cost way more than any console....unfortunately for me =)
Still glad I got the "classic" S just before the refresh - although I can't be sure until I see the new one in the "wild."
I still think there will be more to come with battery upgrades - which unlike the announcement today will make me jealous.

Congrats to those who are getting the "new" S!

Reactions: gsxdsm and kavyboy
OK just got off the phone with my salesman.
I ordered Saturday.
Woo hoo I get the updates at no extra cost.
They are building them like that starting today.
My only concern is I prefer the Ash wood trim.
He said I could go in and edit my choice and get that trim and still keep the old price.
As of now I cannot do that, it only presents the old choices.
Told him if it was still that way on Thursday I would call for more guidance.
I am thrilled with the new look and happy I got in the system at the old price.