Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah no 100D or ventilated seats...but the day is early...we'll see
Elon clearly said that the problem with the Model X was that they introduced too much new technology in the first version of the car. Right now they're struggling to ramp up Model X production, although they're already at 750 cars per week. Model S production line is pushing out around 1000 cars per week fairly reliable. It would be a huge mistake to introduce too much new tech in the S right now. I'm sure it will come.

Reactions: Kalud
Where did they relocate the radar sensor to? If it's above where they used to have it then sweet because up here in Canada we sometimes get the thing full of snow, especially when it's freezing rain or slushy outside and there's a layer of ice covering the radar and disabling cruise & AP.

Screenshot 2016-04-12 10.56.13.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. My guess is that if you order a car now, today, you will get a car with a revised nose. That is just a guess, obviously, but I'm going to stand by it. I will also guess that if your order is pending, you'll get the new features (whatever they are) without having to change your order or give Tesla extra money.

There are a couple of reasons to think this:

1) Tesla isn't going to keep two different versions in production. Once they switch, they switch. That both makes logical sense and is borne out by prior history. See, e.g., the addition of power folding mirrors, which was a flash-cut change that applied even to people that ordered the car without them (and for which you didn't have to pay, if you had a pending order).

2) Tesla isn't going to set a date certain by which, if you order, you get the old nose. That would create a stock of instantly out-of-date cars, which then Tesla would have to do something to try and sell (like other makers do with year-old products).

3) No one would have wanted a car without AP hardware--but plenty of people (including me) might have wanted a P85, and those were killed without fanfare or warning. Same is true of other minor revisions.

4) Some small percentage of people will be unhappy about this, but that is a smaller problem than having a bunch of "old" cars that you have to sell after the new one drops.

You can come back and mock me on, say, May 1, if it turns out I am wrong.

Just thought I'd call attention to this prescient analysis, for no particular reason.

I'm now waiting to see how long it takes before we see the comparison on this thread between the shrink wrap spy shot and the Melbourne poster! The doubters have one last shot at denial. The only thing left to debate on the spy shots is if they go back into the factory for finishing or they are shipping for the unlucky few who are about to get a new classic.

As for the new one..... like it and like the small sighting of the cameras on the mirrors. I'm in.

Where did they relocate the radar sensor to? If it's above where they used to have it then sweet because up here in Canada we sometimes get the thing full of snow, especially when it's freezing rain or slushy outside and there's a layer of ice covering the radar and disabling cruise & AP.
That's what I was wondering this morning. Hopefully it's behind the downward slope so that the slush could slide off easier.