Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USED MS LR/Plaid OR MX LR/Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about ready now to make a decision to buy a used Model S or Model X. I currently have a Model S P100D that I love but it's getting up there in age a bit and I'm getting bored. I love the refresh interiors/exteriors and I'm looking to upgrade. I am looking to keep this car for at least 5-6 years or until battery warranty runs out. Looking at 2022+ models for the newer tailights. Utility wise I have 0 need for the X, no kids, don't need to drive anybody around, no hauling large things it is simply just a looks thing/safety driving in a bigger vehicle for me. I Love the FWDs AND the big glass windshield. I felt like a boss riding around in the X lol. Also it would be a lot different than the S overall. If it were up to me I would've bought a used X 20-21 but that interior is exactly the same I couldn't justify doing it. On the S side pricewise it's not even close and I would probably save 10-12k going for an S and I know I would still like it. I drove the LR S and LR X the S was fun but the X gave me a feeling I couldn't shake however the XLR was pretty slow IMO at lower speeds which is to be expected. TESLA FAMILY PLEASE HELP

I have a 2020 S and recently had a refresh (23?) X as a loaner for 2 days while my S was in the shop. Auto-open and close doors were a nice luxury touch, falcon doors were very cool and very practical to load kids and I loved the wireless charging pad for phones right underneath the console, but that's about where the positive impressions ended. Hated the yoke, absolutely hated the ride quality (much harsher and choppier) and it wasn't as efficient as my S. Looks are subjective so YMMV, but I like my S lowered on nice wheels better than the boiled egg vibes we got from the X.

My S runs 19" wheels while the X had 21" wheels so that may have had something to do with ride quality and efficiency, but overall, both wife and I were so glad when we got our S back.

If were were to buy another Tesla, I would buy a long-range S as our current performance S doesn't do much for us as a dog and kid hauler and we have othre cars that serve that purpose. So that's something to consider - you can swap the LR/Plaid and have a differentiated experience.

Last edited:
Here’s my recommendation based on your comments:

Buy the S - always wondering if I should have just gone with the X
Buy the X LR - man, I knew I should have gone with the Plaid
Buy the X Plaid - I’m on top of the world!

Get what stirs your soul - no sense spending the money on something that won’t do it for you.

• Love
Reactions: Jayskywalker21
My S runs 19" wheels while the X had 21" wheels so that may have had something to do with ride quality and efficiency, but overall, both wife and I were so glad when we got our S back.
Speaking from experience, the difference that 19" wheels versus 21" (or even 22" wheels found on some Model X's) wheels makes on ride quality is pretty substantial. The difference in sidewall height means a much firmer ride due to less of a sidewall to absorb the bumps plus the shorter sidewall on the 21" tire is more rigid for stability and performance. When I first started driving Model S cars, I wouldn't even consider one unless it had the 21's. After owning them, taking the 21's off is one of the first things I do if I get one that has them. At a minimum, you really do need to compare the two vehicles with the same wheel size to get a better apples to apples comparison. A Model S w/19" wheels compared to a Model X with 21" or 22" wheels is comparing apples to aardvarks.

I owned a 2019 Model X Performance Ludicrous on 22's and it looked the business. BUT. It's a minivan. Albeit a nice minivan, but a minivan nonetheless.

Now I've got a 2021 Model S Plaid. Why 2021? So I could get the ultrasonic sensors that they removed in the 2022's and having them makes a world of a difference for me in parking as Tesla Vision still can't run automatic windshield wipers properly so I'm definitely not trusting it with parking distances in tight spaces. The interior of the Plaid is much nicer - ventilated seats, much better quality pleather (lightly pebbled instead of smooth) and I found one with cream interior and carbon fiber which keeps it light, open, cooler (in the summer) and looks fantastic on 21's. I also have the winter 19's from Tesla which are quite cushy. Oh, and putting the hammer down - even in sport mode - never gets old. In Plaid mode? It's completely wild. No tire squeal and tracks dead straight on full throttle launches. I'm literally a couple hundred yards down the road before vehicles in other lanes even make it across a standard intersection. On highways, it's ultra-fast twitch and you can place yourself anywhere on the road, super easy to pass slower traffic. The hardest part about the Plaid? There are not very many circumstances on public roads where you can take a good stab at the go pedal.

Honestly, it's hard to go wrong with an S Plaid. The back seat is still plenty large and I can cram my three teenage boys in their along with all their arms and legs for trips <30 mins without issue. I may be selling mine soon (in NJ) as I'm debating continuing to wait for my Cybertruck reservation to be available to configure or change gears for a bit and try a different EV.

Thanks all made my decision, just gonna get a used X plaid lol prob a 22 with USS
I think you'll be very happy with it. Plenty of space and the Plaid X has the captain's chairs in the second row which is comfortable and spacious if you rarely have more than four people in the vehicle. Trunk is an absolute monster.

Now...how about the color choice? I typically like black but the Ultra Red looks pretty incredible on the X Plaid IMHO.

I think you'll be very happy with it. Plenty of space and the Plaid X has the captain's chairs in the second row which is comfortable and spacious if you rarely have more than four people in the vehicle. Trunk is an absolute monster.

Now...how about the color choice? I typically like black but the Ultra Red looks pretty incredible on the X Plaid IMHO.
To be honest I don’t care too much about the color choice but i will say I’ll rank the exterior/interiors in this order but will go with the car that has the best price/miles

1. Blue/white
2. Black/White
3. Red/white

Def don’t want any cream interiors I can’t wait though

Reactions: Carsly2
To be honest I don’t care too much about the color choice but i will say I’ll rank the exterior/interiors in this order but will go with the car that has the best price/miles

1. Blue/white
2. Black/White
3. Red/white

Def don’t want any cream interiors I can’t wait though
LOL, don't sleep on the Cream. It's a very light color, similar to white, but hides small marks better IMHO and is just as easy to clean up. I also shopped used and ended up with White exterior/Cream interior. White is not my favorite exterior color as it's tough to keep clean, would have preferred black or blue, but the light interior makes a big difference.

Ideally would have preferred a baseball tan leather, real leather, but not an option.

LOL, don't sleep on the Cream. It's a very light color, similar to white, but hides small marks better IMHO and is just as easy to clean up. I also shopped used and ended up with White exterior/Cream interior. White is not my favorite exterior color as it's tough to keep clean, would have preferred black or blue, but the light interior makes a big difference.

Ideally would have preferred a baseball tan leather, real leather, but not an option.
If the deal is good enough I’ll give cream a go lol

Reactions: Carsly2