Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering trading our 2016 Model S75 for 2024 Model S (standard)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife took in our 2016 model S for a warranty replacement of the battery fuse on March 27, and while in the waiting room overheard a conversation between another customer and a sales person. They were discussing trade-in of her model S with lifetime charging. Apparently there has been a promotion on since the first of the year, enabling you to transfer that feature to a new model S. We also are in that small number of owners with the feature and decided to investigate since we were never notified about the promotion and make a lot of road trips. Turns out the promotion ends tomorrow (March 31). Took a test drive, loved the car but, given the short timeframe, decided we'd have to pass (for now).

Since we didn't really have enough time to check everything out, I'd like to hear thoughts about what might be some of the reasons to (eventually) pull the trigger. The wife will be the main driver and had some issues - hated the turn signal buttons, lack of 'creep' mode, and the $6k charge for EAP - the latter would be transferable also if the trade-in had FSD (we only had EAP).

Thoughts about the promotion and current features (compared to 2016)? I've heard this may or may not be the last time these transfers will be offered.

If you can transfer both Lifetime Supercharging AND FSD - do it!

Considering the age of your current car, transferring it will make you enjoy the car more. Supercharging speeds when on road trips will be better. MCU is usable. If you have kids, back screen would be great.

BUT I don't know when Enhance will come out with their aftermarket turn signal stalks:

And the biggest one for me would be the battery is simply that much better. You will need to replace your 2016 battery if you plan to make it a forever car.

Reactions: Country Roads
I've heard this may or may not be the last time these transfers will be offered.
The “one time only” FSD transfer opportunity that Elon insisted was a one and done has come back three times now.

Free supercharging transfer offer has been on the table multiple times now as well.

Tesla is increasingly desperate for sales and dependent on incentives to get them so I don’t think there’s any reason to believe these sorts of offers won’t be back on the table again within the next 3-6 months.

Reactions: Kohan
If you can transfer both Lifetime Supercharging AND FSD - do it!

Considering the age of your current car, transferring it will make you enjoy the car more. Supercharging speeds when on road trips will be better. MCU is usable. If you have kids, back screen would be great.

BUT I don't know when Enhance will come out with their aftermarket turn signal stalks:

And the biggest one for me would be the battery is simply that much better. You will need to replace your 2016 battery if you plan to make it a forever car.
We never upgraded to what passed for FSD on the S75, but do have EAP which was all that we wanted (summon and TACC), but the promotion is only to transfer lifetime supercharging and FSD, not just EAP. I'm convinced due to battery improvement and size, AWD, etc., but the wife doesn't like the those turn signals, the slowdown when you release the accelerator, her view of the left side of the new MCU, and the $6k extra charge. Not dealbreakers when the chance comes back around, but I'm trying to find offsetting pros to counter her cons. Plus, when she heard you could replace the existing battery for ~$16k, she said 'let's do that'.

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi
.but the wife doesn't like the those turn signals, the slowdown when you release the accelerator, her view of the left side of the new MCU, and the $6k extra charge.

You are doing it wrong! 😄

The correct procedure is first to test drive Model 3, and pretend like that's the best car you have ever seen. Then test drive Model S and act surprised when wife says that it is so much better.

Then after long family negotiations finally give up and do what she wants.

:)

Reactions: Mercimek
You are doing it wrong! 😄

The correct procedure is first to test drive Model 3, and pretend like that's the best car you have ever seen. Then test drive Model S and act surprised when wife says that it is so much better.

Then after long family negotiations finally give up and do what she wants.

:)
Yeah, that won't work. Our other car is a 3. She's always liked the S more. But I think I can have her convinced by the next time this opportunity comes up.

With the way things are currently packaged (autosteer and TACC being “free” and included in the base price of the car) I don’t find much/any value to EAP. Auto lane change is nice but the rest of it… 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well, given the haste with which we had to check this out and that we weren't impressed with the knowledge of the rep we were dealing with, I wouldn't be surprised if we were given the wrong info. The claim was that to get both summon and TACC required EAP ($6k) and only basic CC was free. After further research, it looks like that's incorrect and only summon requires EAP. Really need summon for the very tight space in the garage. Nice to know the TACC isn't a problem, though.

Really need summon for the very tight space in the garage.
Worth noting that Summon is not currently available AT ALL on new cars as Tesla hasn’t figured out how to make it work yet without the ultrasonic sensors that they discontinued last year.

They claim it will come back at some point but if this is a critical feature for you I’d advise waiting until Tesla has proven they can deliver it and that it’s not utterly terrible.

Worth noting that Summon is not currently available AT ALL on new cars as Tesla hasn’t figured out how to make it work yet without the ultrasonic sensors that they discontinued last year.

They claim it will come back at some point but if this is a critical feature for you I’d advise waiting until Tesla has proven they can deliver it and that it’s not utterly terrible.
Well, that's annoying. Just googled this and looks like it was discontinued early last year. Some were saying the feature would be available at the end of 2023, but now they're saying testing still in progress and it will be available 'soon'. Looks like a lot of people who didn't read the fine print when they purchased EAP are pretty ticked off that they paid $6k for something they didn't get. I talked to 3 different reps in the past 3 days and none of them disclosed it, even though I said it was one of our must-haves. I'm certainly glad I didn't pull the trigger this time. I'll be watching for this promotion next time to make sure I have all of my research completed.

Jumping in to say that we took advantage of the current promotion and transferred the lifetime free unlimited supercharging and full self driving from our 2017 Model S to a new 2024 Model X. The new car is my wife’s daily driver and she hates the lack of turn signal stalks, etc. But she is getting used to the new way and does love all the other upgrades in the new vehicle. So perhaps your wife would have the same experience.
My suggestion - if both FUSC and FSD transferability are ever offered again, upgrade your current vehicle to FSD for the $6k and pull the trigger on transferring both to the new vehicle.

Jumping in to say that we took advantage of the current promotion and transferred the lifetime free unlimited supercharging and full self driving from our 2017 Model S to a new 2024 Model X. The new car is my wife’s daily driver and she hates the lack of turn signal stalks, etc. But she is getting used to the new way and does love all the other upgrades in the new vehicle. So perhaps your wife would have the same experience.
My suggestion - if both FUSC and FSD transferability are ever offered again, upgrade your current vehicle to FSD for the $6k and pull the trigger on transferring both to the new vehicle.
That's what I'm thinking. She'll get used to it. I'll start steering her in the right direction until the next opportunity comes along. With summon not currently available, we'll definitely be waiting until that's resolved. It was her major reason for buying the current one in the first place. I'd be curious as to what specific upgrades you like. Also, it looks like the upgrade on the 2016 model s is no longer offered so that $6k will just go to the EAP upgrade on the new one. FSD is not a biggie for us.

She loves the semi-automatic front doors and the rear gull-wing doors of the X. Plus its nicer fit and finish compared to her early Model 3 (2018). And all the storage space for her work stuff. So easy to get to in the back with the gull-wing door up. Provides very nice access.
Regarding FSD, we use it for city and highway driving and we own it mostly for future-proofing. I basically think it will “hit” and then we’ll all be road-tripping and napping in the back while the car drives us to the beach. And we’ll already own it rather than having to pay the jacked-up price that is calculated to be just under the cost of a chauffeur. A bit of financial game theory.