Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on selling 2016S90D Do I sell with supercharinging or transfer it to new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decide best strategy for selling my 2016 Model S as I’ve ordered a new Model S
I won’t trade it into Tesla, as they’re offers are too low

So I will sell myself and I’m inclined to not take Tesla’s offer to transfer my existing supercharging
My car is a December 2016 build, with SC01 supercharging and also AP 2.0, a fairly rare combo

My thinking is I’ll get enough of a higher price if I sell the car with free supercharging versus any value the free supercharging on my new S is worth to me. I doubt on average I’ve used more than 1,000 miles of supercharging any year I’ve had the car

Any thoughts are welcome

Trying to decide best strategy for selling my 2016 Model S as I’ve ordered a new Model S

So I will sell myself and I’m inclined to not take Tesla’s offer to transfer my existing supercharging
My car is a December 2016 build, with SC01 supercharging and also AP 2.0, a fairly rare combo

My thinking is I’ll get enough of a higher price if I sell the car with free supercharging versus any value the free supercharging on my new S is worth to me. I doubt on average I’ve used more than 1,000 miles of supercharging any year I’ve had the car

Any thoughts are welcome
Another selling point is you also currently have free unlimited CONNECTIVITY. Granted it's $9.99/month or $100/year for those that want it from Tesla.

Reactions: pilotSteve

Any thoughts are welcome
As a result of Tesla's recent Supercharger Transfer offer I noticed an increase of folks interested in our older FUSC cars. I'm thinking folks will buy a SC01 for say $30k, transfer FUSC to new S X Y car, then sell original SC01 car.

Determine where/how you can market your MS with free supercharging to Uber and Lyft drivers. Free supercharging would be worth a lot to them--and others who spend the greater part of most days driving.
Supercharging of Uber/Lyft cars is not allowed per paragraph 13 of the FUSC transfer agreement:

“13. You agree to abide by Tesla's Supercharger Fair Use Policy, which can be viewed at tesla.com/legal/terms#supercharger-fair-use-policy”

Last edited:
Hey, I’ll sell you my 85D SC01 car right now for $30K!
Thx but I'm happy with my #2446 :) FB_IMG_1698537519008.jpg

Reactions: Jumper
Supercharging of Uber/Lyft cars is not allowed per paragraph 13 of the FUSC transfer agreement:

“13. You agree to abide by Tesla's Supercharger Fair Use Policy, which can be viewed at tesla.com/legal/terms#supercharger-fair-use-policy”
Thanks stevej119. Yes, it looks like free supercharging is not available to a commercial-use Tesla. Here's the quote...

"To help ensure Superchargers are available for their intended use, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used for a commercial purpose (such as a taxi or for ridesharing through services like Uber or Lyft), unless you charge on a pay per use basis."

I put down a deposit on a new S. I am thinking of offering for sale my 2016 90D model s at two prices--with free supercharging and without free supercharging. How much more will someone pay for the free supercharging? I am thinking a $3000 price difference. Also if they pay extra for supercharging they can have the car now, without supercharging they will have to wait until it is transferred to the new car.

The new car will have more range so supercharging is not as important.

I have not figured this out so share your thoughts.

I put down a deposit on a new S. I am thinking of offering for sale my 2016 90D model s at two prices--with free supercharging and without free supercharging. How much more will someone pay for the free supercharging? I am thinking a $3000 price difference. Also if they pay extra for supercharging they can have the car now, without supercharging they will have to wait until it is transferred to the new car.

OP here. I did sell my car with supercharging included. I have a new S on order, actually got VIN but put it on the 2 week hold. Your guess of 3,000 sounds like a fair guess. I am happy with the price I got but part of me still wonders of I did the right thing. IF I in fact got 3k more than I would have without FUSC I will take it. My 7 year history with free supercharging probably equates to a 200-300 per year average benefit. But there is something about connecting to the supercharger for free. Just feels good

I have some friends in a very similar situation who just got a new S. They transferred the FUSC to their new car and are happy with their decision.

I guess time will tell.

You basically need to make a decision very soon. Your car has to be delivered by the end of December if you want to transfer a supercar into it. There are a few exceptions (if the delivery window says December, but it’s delivered in January, you were still good ) but basically, that’s the case.