Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell or keep MS with 60k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 MS with 60k and free lifetime charging (deal offered in fall of 2019). I love the car but it is 4 years old, off the warranty except for battery/motors that have another 4 years and unlimited milage. The car has had a lot of warranty work, hopefully getting out all the kinks and upgrading components. Repairs include all new shock links (reinforced ones put in on warranty), new half shafts, new front motor (Tesla stripped the motor when replacing the half shafts under warranty), and at 55k it had a "battery failure" and they have me a reburbished battery.

I love the free supercharging and I have another 2 days to buy a new Tesla and transfer the free supercharging. The value of the car plummeted this year and Tesla is only offering about 37k and I could probably sell it for 40k+-. It is in mint condition, drives great but is 4 years old. I like the Y a lot but wish it were a little fancier, but not sure it is worth spending another 10k for a new car in a much less expensive model. Transferring the free supercharging is a great incentive since I do supercharge a lot. Any thoughts on this first world problem! Of note, I usually keep my cars a long time and thought i would eventually pay for a new battery if the car drives so well.

Buy a new one and enjoy the new car warranty. There have been computer and functional improvements since 2020. You can also get a shiny new color. I've read refurb motors are only lasting about 60k miles.

Also, you will incur an additional year of new car property tax, owning the new car on January 1. Getting the car January 2 will avoid next years' "property" tax, generally payable on all property owned on January 1 of the year. This is $4k to $5k in my state.

Reactions: aerodyne
Also, you will incur an additional year of new car property tax, owning the new car on January 1. Getting the car January 2 will avoid next years' "property" tax, generally payable on all property owned on January 1 of the year. This is $4k to $5k in my state.
Very good point about the tax. The first two years of ownership was at least $4000 in excise tax which rapidly goes down in 2-3 years. As for the motor change, I did get a brand new motor but the batteries are all "refurbished units." My range was down to 335 from 360 new, which isn't bad for 4 years. I do supercharge a lot, but limit to 80%. I really wonder what type of repairs people are experiencing with 4-8 year old Teslas off the full warranty. It was very nice to get a loaner no charge for all the initial problems I had with the car.

Keep it, you are already low on the depreciation curve and the battery/drive units are the big ticket items and you still have warranty for those. I had a Y for a loaner recently. They are certainly nice but not in the same league as an S.