Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S self-destruction after parking brake warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 Model S (134k miles) popped up a message telling me that the parking brake had suddenly engaged while I was driving to work, luckily at only 20 mph in the neighborhood. (I did not press/hold the P button.) A few seconds later, as I was still deciding what to do with this information, I heard a loud crunch and bang. When I pulled over to look, my passenger rear brake rotor had shattered and crumpled, punching holes in the rim and tire and ripping off the calipers and part of the frame. I had to take it to a different Tesla service center than usual, and this new one barely communicated with me, wouldn't tell me what was going on, and was way off on their time and price estimates, ultimately charging me double what they initially quoted. I'm disappointed given the excellent service I had at a previous SC. This happened 7 months after I last had the car/brakes inspected. Since they wouldn't tell me anything, do any of you have any idea what happened here? Thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20230203_012215414.jpg
    PXL_20230203_012215414.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 358
  • PXL_20230203_012033429.jpg
    PXL_20230203_012033429.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 297
  • PXL_20230203_012047185.jpg
    PXL_20230203_012047185.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 311
  • PXL_20230203_012100459.jpg
    PXL_20230203_012100459.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 305
  • Informative
Reactions: Scott13TMSP85
Well, perhaps the problem's solution lies in your statement above, "Tesla selected the same OEM basically everyone uses."

The use case for brakes on any Tesla is far different from the use case in an ICE vehicle. YES, "brakes wear out." This is NOT "brakes wearing out" at all--on the contrary, this is a catastrophic failure mode that presented without warning in which lives could have been lost had it occurred at higher speed. Brakes that "wear out" present themselves (via IP warning and/or impossible to miss brake noises) far, far in advance of any degradation in braking, and well before any major brake component failures.

Is material selection an issue here? Perhaps likely to be causal, hence the request for the OP to file a NHTSA complaint to see how prevalent these failures are, and have them look into this failure more carefully. At worst, the oldest Model S is just over a decade old, not two or three decades old, which is what that one brake look like.

Brakes "wearing out" is expected, and this isn't that . . . .
I think that before anyone runs to the government we need to know more about this brake inspection seven months earlier…for example was there any recommendation given by the service technician ?

Upvote 0
I’d offer up that very few 10+ year old vehicles, particularly those used in harsh climates, still have their original brake rotors in place.
Of course, we don't know the history for this vehicle. Those could be original rotors, or someone could have replaced them with crappy after-market rotors at some point in the past. (A lot can happen in 10+ years.)

Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
I see a rotor that looks well past it's prime and probably should have been replaced when they inspected it last time. The caliper breaking off... I don't believe I've seen that before.

If I were to guess what happened, I would say that the brake pad probably bit hard into the rotor and chewing off a chunk of the rotor and then a some small amount of movement caused the rest of the carnage.
Thanks, I appreciate your conjecture. :)

Upvote 0
General maintenance car checkup. Also inspected brake fluid, air filters, AC dessicant bag, clean/lubricate brake calipers, rotate tires as per Tesla maintenance service interval recommendations.
Ok so who performed the inspection? Was it documented that the brakes (all components) were ok/within spec? Incompetence if so as looking at the rotors themselves as well as the pad wipe pattern would’ve been a huge red flag. So your beef should be with the shop for giving you a false sense of security. You def have a point regarding getting charged double what you were quoted. Which SC was this in Oregon?

Upvote 0
Re: other comments:

1) Yes, I have documentation of the inspection I had done 7 months prior to this, on 7/11/2022. They noted 6 mm on the brakes. They did not tell me to replace them, or I would have done it. I don't know a lot about cars, so I basically just do what the mechanics say. I'm sure I pay more for my ignorance than if I could check/repair/replace things myself, but I don't have interest in learning about cars and I figure it's worth the money to prevent things like this from happening. If only that worked out....

2) It's true that I don't use the brakes much when driving around. When I did use them, they did not make any sound. I obviously would have been concerned had my car started making weird noises. I love how quiet it is.

3) My area of Oregon is not a salty place. We either use pea gravel or just wait a day for any snow/ice to melt because it doesn't stay cold long. It is certainly wet here, though.

4) I did not make a hard stop. I had just left my house and was driving about 20 mph on my way to work in the early morning when an alert popped up saying the brake had engaged and then this damage happened a few seconds later.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
If a mechanic had recommended that I replace any part of my brake system, I would have done it, no questions asked.
Then you seriously need to find a new mechanic. Just looking at the pictures you can tell there's serious neglect there. I mean you can see them through your wheels, is this your first car maybe? I mean this is something you do when your like 16 and don't know any better. Anyways thank god your ok and didn't injure yourself or someone else. Maybe time for a BBK upgrade

Upvote 0
So who did the inspection? An indy shop or Tesla? How long have you had the car? Was it orig an Oregon car? So how did the quote vs actual play out? Was the orig quote based on actually seeing the car or was it via the app? Would be interested to see the breakdown vs orig (half the price) quote if you’re up for it that is. Sorry for all the questions. Just interested in how the rotors got to this state. It’s def not on you as you paid for professional assessment and clearly didn’t get even shade tree competency.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Mi Model S 2012 (134k millas) apareció un mensaje que me decía que el freno de estacionamiento se había activado repentinamente mientras conducía al trabajo, afortunadamente a solo 20 mph en el vecindario. (No presioné/mantuve presionado el botón P). Unos segundos más tarde, mientras aún estaba decidiendo qué hacer con esta información, escuché un fuerte crujido y un golpe. Cuando me detuve para mirar, el rotor del freno trasero de mi pasajero se había roto y arrugado, perforando agujeros en la llanta y el neumático y arrancando las pinzas y parte del marco. Tuve que llevarlo a un centro de servicio de Tesla diferente al habitual, y este nuevo apenas se comunicó conmigo, no me dijo lo que estaba pasando y estaba muy lejos de sus estimaciones de tiempo y precio, y finalmente me cobró el doble de lo que inicialmente citado. Estoy decepcionado dado el excelente servicio que tuve en un SC anterior. Esto sucedió 7 meses después de la última vez que inspeccioné el automóvil y los frenos. Como no me dijeron nada, ¿alguno de ustedes tiene idea de lo que pasó aquí? Gracias.
Hola,parece que se ha partido el disco,se ve muy marcado,pienso que es un mal mantenimiento,ese disco deberia haber sido reemplazado mucho antes,cuando se cambian las pastillas de freno.

Upvote 0