Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model s 2013 .it was raining, I came home ,parking lights were on like someone was stepping on the pedal brake, now isn't working...everything works but I step on the brake and wouldn't shift to drive or reverse, it keeps saying car off... I took it to tesla dealership they charged me 264 dlls to tell me that harness problem. But what harnesses? Brake harness

Model s 2013 .it was raining, I came home ,parking lights were on like someone was stepping on the pedal brake, now isn't working...everything works but I step on the brake and wouldn't shift to drive or reverse, it keeps saying car off... I took it to tesla dealership they charged me 264 dlls to tell me that harness problem. But what harnesses? Brake harness
What else did Tesla tell you… Cost to repair? Part number to replace? Wiring harnesses connect everything in the car, so it could be anything without further information.

Upvote 0
Here is that note from tesla and this is what they told me

Attachments

• IMG_4651.jpg
    IMG_4651.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4652.jpg
    IMG_4652.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
67 hundred or 6700 ....😒 so before anything I would love to see how hard is changing some parts of the harness....like the outside parts, cause I saw all the ones inside and they are in really good condition...ot perfect condition....I'm assuming the ones outside or the parts exposed to the rain or water are the ones that are damaged...

Upvote 0
Wiring harnesses are intertwined throughout car and connect various parts. They can be hard to replace given parts to remove for access and knowledge required (e.g., dash is likely a lot of work).

Also, you may not want to hear this, but Tesla sometimes just starts replacing things without definitive root cause. It really depends on particular skills in your Service Center. Given they cleared both issues by fiddling with wires and resetting the charge port and light, it’s reasonable to think you have some electrical issues.

The charge port is high voltage (requiring caution and expertise), but easier to replace. How much was that portion? You may consider 3rd party shops if you can target specific work to reduce the expense.

It’s not clear why dash harness must be replaced in addition to side body. So maybe start with just the one found with corrosion.

Upvote 0
That is what I am thinking, look for the ones outside that are damaged, cause I look at the ones inside and it looks just fine, my question is how or where are the hook up harness on the rear of the driver side so that I can get to it ,if anyone knows please let me know. Thanks 👍

Upvote 0
That is what I am thinking, look for the ones outside that are damaged, cause I look at the ones inside and it looks just fine, my question is how or where are the hook up harness on the rear of the driver side so that I can get to it ,if anyone knows please let me know. Thanks 👍
It doesn’t work that way; nothing is on the “outside” and easy. See attached picture for example of what you’re dealing with. I recommend you find 3rd party independent shop. How much was just charge port replacement?

IMG_3190.jpeg

Upvote 0