Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 EV parking bays, all ICEd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never backed into spots until I got my Roadster. It's impossible to see anything backing out (traffic from the sides). The backup camera helps though.

As for the spots, that's tough. Not sure there is much to do other than talk to the management there maybe.

The Hong Kong Government is aggressively deploying EV charging stations in Government and Private car parks around Hong Kong. Target was 1,000 stations by the end of June, and looks like they have hit it. The stations in Government car parks are 220V 13A sockets on the walls, and most car parks are getting about 20 charging bays. The bays are marked "EV Charging".

To put that in perspective, that is 4 charging points per EV on the road, today. A case of 'if you build it, they will come'?

Today, I went to the Cheung Sha Wan Government building car park, to have a look. Nice setup, but all 20 bays had ICE cars parked in them.

Given the number of EVs in Hong Kong, I have mixed thoughts about this. If the bays were restricted to just EV parking+charging, then most likely there would be on average 19-to-20 bays sitting empty all day long. In a few years time, who know, but today that would be the reality. But, allowing ICE vehicles to park there means the bays are next to useless, as EVs can't get near them.

Thoughts?

View attachment 7469

AFAIK it really depends on the Management company. Wilson and E-Park usually keep those charging bays clear but the one managing CSW gov bldg never care about anything anyway....

Backing into parking spots is how people are taught to park in Japan, and probably HK as well. It's considered safer since you don't have to reverse into traffic (often with narrow lanes) as you leave. I have a number of Japanese friends over here in the States that still back into these huge spots at the grocery store.

In terms of usage, I think 2 of those 20 spots should be marked and enforced as EV only. As the numbers of EVs on the road increases, the percentage of those charging spots that are enforced as EV only should increase. Basically, it's great that the infrastructure in now in place, but the enforcement should scale with need. No point in having 20 empty parking spots when parking is at a premium.

Re hospital backing in: I know of several places where a "back-in" rule is posted because the building management is trying to protect either plants, or painted walls from the soot that ICE's leave upon startup. So as EV's take over the world, the signs can change to "because it's safer!!". :wink:

Re graduated enforcement: I live in a condo that is part hotel, and to prepare for the future I am leading a project to convert two of our very limited parking stalls to EV charging stations. There is valid concern that removing two spots will negatively impact the hotel's customers, especially because there is (would be) very little use for the next few years, here in Victoria BC. Other hotels have outdoor EVCS and get maybe 5 visits a year. You don't want a completely full parking lot while the two EVCS sit empty. So the signage I have come up with so far is "Priority for Electric Vehicle charging. Others may use when no parking spots available." I'm considering adding that "Violators will be crushed" phrase!

Owner: electric-assist bicycle
Dreamer: Model S

Backing in has a few inherent disadvantages that:

a) it would take longer to park your vehicle thereby slowing everyone behind you. Imagine a multistoried parking lot at airports or at ball games and think of the no. vehicles all streaming in to find a spot before the game starts. I work at such an office building with around 2000 parking spots that all get filled in about two hours between 7 and 9 am.

b) I would rather park in 10 seconds and take 30 to back out, rather than a minute to back in and 10 seconds to get out.

c) you have to pass the open spot to back in, and there is a good chance the car behind you has followed you closely enough that you now cannot back in, unless he backs off a few feet, and if there a chain of cars you are doomed.

Backing in has a few inherent disadvantages that:
a) it would take longer to park your vehicle thereby slowing everyone behind you. Imagine a multistoried parking lot at airports or at ball games and think of the no. vehicles all streaming in to find a spot before the game starts.
Don't you have the exact same problem -- but worse -- at the end of the game when parking head first?

??? Why ???

The problem seems to be symmetric to me.

Reverse park: forward turn past the space, reverse in. Leaving: drive straight out,
Forward park: drive straight in. Leaving: reverse out past the space, forward out.

Theoretically. But parking involves a more precise maneuver and therefore is expected to take more time. I don't know if practice-makes-less-bad would apply and people would get faster at parking backwards.

I have had this parking issue at a parking garage at a train station. Almost everyone backs in because at the end of the day when the train pulls up and let's everyone off everyone is rushing to their car to get out. And when I say rushing, I mean men in full suits sprinting to their cars. This is every day. It's kind of funny to watch. If you pull in, you're not getting out until everyone else has left. People won't let you back out.

Problem is in the morning though when the train is about to pull up. Everyone is racing up the garage to an open parking spot so they can make the train. If you back in at this point, people start honking and cursing at you to the hell out of the way because you are holding everyone up and they'll all miss the train because of you (even though it's really their fault for being late.)

Theoretically. But parking involves a more precise maneuver and therefore is expected to take more time. I don't know if practice-makes-less-bad would apply and people would get faster at parking backwards.

I think the type of parking space also affects this. Here in HK, it is very much harder to drive into a parking space forward. The lanes are narrow, spaces are narrow, and you have nothing to help guide you in or tell you the limits of your car. Reversing in you have both mirrors and an HD backup camera to help.

220V/13A seems like you would only get a few miles range no? Are these garages somewhere that people generally park for work? So 8hrs at a time, then I can see why they would just put in 13A service otherwise you aren't going to get much juice if its shorter term parking.

I think the type of parking space also affects this. Here in HK, it is very much harder to drive into a parking space forward. The lanes are narrow, spaces are narrow, and you have nothing to help guide you in or tell you the limits of your car. Reversing in you have both mirrors and an HD backup camera to help.
I agree. I always park the opposite way of the car I park next to, so that I can get my passanger side really close to the passanger side of the adjacent car, and leave room for me to exit on the drivers side without blocking the drivers side of another car. So I'm about equally adept at reversing in as I am driving in forward, and there's basically no difference in the amount of time I use for each maneuver.

I find that it is much easier to get the car exactly where you want it if you reverse into a spot. Reversing is the same as rear-wheel steering, and this mode of steering means you can place the non-steering wheels exactly where you want them and then the steering wheels will swing around placing the vehicle perfectly parallell to the space. It's not without reason that most fork lifts use rear-wheel steering.

220V/13A seems like you would only get a few miles range no? Are these garages somewhere that people generally park for work? So 8hrs at a time, then I can see why they would just put in 13A service otherwise you aren't going to get much juice if its shorter term parking.

There are about 1,000 plugs across 200+ stations, mostly 220V 13A. Locations are government offices, shopping centers, office and home parking. There are some long-term users during the work day (8+ hours), but most seem to be 2-to-3 hour opportunistic top ups.

Hong Kong is a small place. Topping up at a shopping centre charge station, I typically replenish the battery to offset the electricity I used to get to/from there.

I print up and keep the following note in my cars. If I see an ICE car in an EV slot I place it on their windshield.

Please do not park in the places for electric vehicles. At the moment there are not many places to charge an electric car and many of us early adopters plan our routes on how and where we can charge. If we arrive and all parking spaces are full we could be left stranded.
By having people drive electric vehicles it helps you by helping to keep a lid on the demand and price of gasoline. If demand for gasoline drops then the prices can stabilize, but if we all use more gas we can be sure the prices will continue to rise.
So please help keep these spaces open for those people that need them.

Thank you

I print up and keep the following note in my cars. If I see an ICE car in an EV slot I place it on their windshield.

Please do not park in the places for electric vehicles. At the moment there are not many places to charge an electric car and many of us early adopters plan our routes on how and where we can charge. If we arrive and all parking spaces are full we could be left stranded.
By having people drive electric vehicles it helps you by helping to keep a lid on the demand and price of gasoline. If demand for gasoline drops then the prices can stabilize, but if we all use more gas we can be sure the prices will continue to rise.
So please help keep these spaces open for those people that need them.

Thank you
I printed up some notes that say:
Yo! Youse has parked in a spot for Electric Cars only--while charging. If youse does it again, Luigi will have a ‘word’ wit youse!
---Tony Soprano

I thought it was funny; my wife voted it before I could even try it.

I agree. I always park the opposite way of the car I park next to, so that I can get my passanger side really close to the passanger side of the adjacent car, and leave room for me to exit on the drivers side without blocking the drivers side of another car. So I'm about equally adept at reversing in as I am driving in forward, and there's basically no difference in the amount of time I use for each maneuver.

I find that it is much easier to get the car exactly where you want it if you reverse into a spot. Reversing is the same as rear-wheel steering, and this mode of steering means you can place the non-steering wheels exactly where you want them and then the steering wheels will swing around placing the vehicle perfectly parallell to the space. It's not without reason that most fork lifts use rear-wheel steering.

What if the other car has a passenger?

I've visited the Sai Kung Government Offices car park a few times in recent days, and they seem to have a much better arrangement.

20 EV charging bays, right near the attendant shack - approximately 5 of them coned off.

One time I drove up, and signalled the attendant - he beckoned me forward into one free open bay in amongst the ICE.

Another time, same thing but all free bays were ICEd, so the attendant moved a cone and let me park and charge in one of the reserved bays.

Overall, a nice arrangement, with good expansion capabilities for the future. Just not really sure why they don't always park EVs in those coned bays - I guess it keeps them free for EVs when the car park is full, but it does make the car park look like there are no EVs using the charging facilities.