Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sainsbury's Launch Own-Brand Charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1705056109269.png

New, convenient and easy-to-use ultra-rapid EV charging business launches today as research finds three quarters of EV drivers still suffer range anxiety

Sainsbury’s has today launched Smart Charge, a brand-new, dedicated EV charging business that will give drivers access to ultra-rapid EV charging points across its stores. This bold move illustrates the retailer’s commitment to the EV industry while providing an exciting new service for drivers.

In new research commissioned by Sainsbury’s, 80% of EV users admitted to avoiding long journeys because of not wanting to charge at public EV charging stations, describing the main frustrations as chargers being broken (40%), not enough charging bays (36%) and speed of service (33%). Designed to mitigate these frustrations, Smart Charge will initially feature over 750 cutting-edge ultra-rapid charging bays rolled out across more than 100 stores by the end of 2024, putting Sainsbury’s in the top five providers of ultra-rapid charging in the UK.

Ultra-rapid is the fastest type of EV charging currently available on the market but a third (32%) of EV drivers surveyed said they have yet to benefit from using it. Designed to be extremely speedy, reliable and easy to use, Sainsbury’s 150kW Smart Charge bays allow users to fully charge their vehicle in as little as 30 minutes, providing enough power to travel up to 200 miles. Many of the chargers can also charge even faster if a driver’s vehicle battery can accept higher charger speeds, up to 300kW.

Smart Charge also offers the perfect solution to the one third (32%) of EV drivers who expressed frustrations at having to wait with nothing to do at public chargers. With Smart Charge, customers can make the most of both the speedy service and the option to pop into a Sainsbury’s store to pick up some groceries or grab a coffee while they wait.

While 74% of EV users currently use multiple EV charging brands, a huge 94% said they would prefer to use just one trusted and reliable brand. When asked why, the top reasons included reliability (63%), convenience when planning long trips (54%) and awareness of cost upfront (53%).

Recognising the desire for a trusted EV charging brand in the UK and the benefits for customers of being able to charge their vehicles while doing their shopping, Sainsbury’s believes the convenience, speed and reliability of Smart Charge will represent a game changer for EV users.

Already available at more than 20 Sainsbury’s stores, Smart Charge offers spacious, accessible bays open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year which are compatible with fully electric vehicles. New charging hubs will be added to the Smart Charge network throughout the UK regularly, with service information and new openings published on www.smartcharge.co.uk.

Patrick Dunne, Sainsbury’s Director of Property, Procurement & EV Ventures, said: “As EV ownership continues to grow, it’s shocking to see that an incredible three quarters of EV drivers still suffer range anxiety and many have avoided journeys as a result.

“With our new network of easy-to-use and reliable charging points conveniently located in our supermarkets, Smart Charge will make a real difference to EV drivers in the UK. As one of the few providers to be focusing exclusively on cutting-edge ultra-rapid 150kW+chargers, customers can be in and out in as little as half an hour and avoid waiting longer with less powerful alternatives. What’s more, they can even grab a coffee or pick up some groceries while they’re there.

“We’re committed to helping to reduce carbon emissions and offering a national EV charging service forms part of this pledge. Our new charging points are powered by the same 100% renewable electricity that powers the rest of our estate*.”

Anthony Browne, Minister for Technology and Decarbonisation, said: “Businesses play a crucial role in the delivery of EV infrastructure, so it’s great to see Sainsbury’s embracing ultra-rapid technology which will benefit EV drivers.

“Together with industry we’ve supported the installation of over 52,600 chargepoints across the UK, an increase of 44% from last year.”

Smart Charge is the first and only EV charging business to be fully owned and managed end-to-end by a UK supermarket. As of today, Smart Charge is available at around 200 ultra-rapid charging bays at just over 20 Sainsbury’s locations. The state-of-the-art charging technology and equipment is provided by Kempower.

The service is intended to help advance the uptake of electric vehicles in the country, supporting the UK’s transition to a low-carbon economy. The launch represents another step in Sainsbury’s ambitious commitment to achieving Net Zero across its value chain by 2050.

Research conducted by Censuswide with 500 EV Drivers 17+ between 20.12.2023 - 29.12.2023. Censuswide abide by and employ members of the Market Research Society which is based on the ESOMAR principles and are members of The British Polling Council.

*Sainsbury’s operations, including its entire store estate, use a combination of energy sourced directly from solar and wind farms as well as certificate-backed renewable electricity from the UK.

EV charging speeds
There are currently four generally recognised speeds of EV charging available in the UK, classified by the level of power or “flow” of electricity that the chargers can provide, in kilowatts (kW):

• Slow – 3-6kW
  • Fast – 7-22kW
  • Rapid – 25-99kW
  • Ultra-Rapid – 100kW+

Website Homepage | Locations Map
75p/kwh at all times - contactless tap to charge (£60 pre-auth charge onto the card)

Last edited:
Reactions: WilburT
75p/kWh. What a joke.

If anything they should be way below market rates to incentivise people to shop in their stores. Or even free if you spend >£100 during your visit.

And we don't really need a 2 or 3 ultra fast charger on a 300 space parking lot. But place two dozen of 7kW/11kW and that'll help
Amen to this.

I don't know why these places don't look at these things as incentives to shop there. If I can plug in and top up the number of miles it cost to get there, and ideally a bit more, then I would be inclined to shop there instead of somewhere else where I wouldn't. I used to do some of my shopping in Tesco when they did this, now I don't bother unless it's on the way to somewhere I'm already going.

A load of 7kW chargers - ideally free if you scan a receipt or whatever - beats a couple of ultra rapids hands down.

Then don’t use it. In a world where we all complain about a lack of infrastructure, having more options can only be a good thing.
Agreed. Better to have a more expensive charger than no charger at all.

For me though, the pre-auth charge mentioned in OPs post would be the off putting part for me. I have had to travel the day before payday before with just enough in the bank to pay for the charge. Would have been buggered if I had to show I had £60 before it would dispense.

Then don’t use it. In a world where we all complain about a lack of infrastructure, having more options can only be a good thing.
Agreed. Whilst I probably will never use them, having more choice has to be a good thing.

With prices at these levels the EV hating media outlets do have more ammo for why electric vehicles are inconvenient and expensive, but it is just noise.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Amen to this.

I don't know why these places don't look at these things as incentives to shop there. If I can plug in and top up the number of miles it cost to get there, and ideally a bit more, then I would be inclined to shop there instead of somewhere else where I wouldn't. I used to do some of my shopping in Tesco when they did this, now I don't bother unless it's on the way to somewhere I'm already going.

A load of 7kW chargers - ideally free if you scan a receipt or whatever - beats a couple of ultra rapids hands down.

I'd argue having ~14 fast chargers is better infrastructure at a supermarket than 1 ultra rapid.
Agree with all of the above.

I'm currently leading a piece of work for the company i work for, redeveloping and implementing a whole new charging network. We're working with a consultancy and they've given us some really interesting insights and stats around usage. The majority of the industry and way forward on charging EV is very much based around home or workplace charging - essentially when the vehicle is static. Having the option to get the journey cost back, whether by replacing the range used to get to the location or by covering the cost would be a great incentive. The issue is that you risk alienating the ICE population as they don't get the same privileges.

Certainly though, having more 7kw chargers would be cheaper and more profitable than having 1 or 2 DC chargers that aren't as frequently used.

Yeah I see supermarket and retail park involvement in this sort of thing not being the “this is where you go to charge” but rather an incentive when you’re there, something that would push you going to one place over another.

It’s great that it’s more infrastructure, but I see It as a separate thing to a rapid/ultra rapid rollout at services and repurposed petrol stations - I.e. places you’re going to actually refuel.

I wouldn’t use an ultra rapid at Sainsburys because a) I wouldn’t pay 75p/kWh “casually” and b) I’m not going to Sainsburys as part of the next leg of my journey or whatever, like a supercharger.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Now needs Tesco to do the same, so they are forced to use charging prices to complete for the weekly shop from driveway less EV owners. A 80% battery fill while doing the 30 minute shop should be the aim to make EV ownership practical for normal people without home charging. (Maybe charging prices linked to the days spending on the clubcard)

And we don't really need a 2 or 3 ultra fast charger on a 300 space parking lot

Looking at the number of rapid chargers compared to the number of stores they say are getitng them, it is a lot more then 2 or 3 going into most sites.

We know that the owner of Asta have just done a deal to buy a very large number of superchargers from Tesla, I don't expect they are all going into garage sites.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
At 75p/kWh charging an EV would be at least as expensive if not more than filling up a frugal ICE car.

75p/kWh is "I don't have any choice, I'm desperate" money, not a "this is a viable alternative to not having home charging" option.

Since Tesco started charging for their (unchanged) Podpoints every time I've been there incidentally they've been empty or maybe had 1 car on them.

I'm sorry to say but EV ownership isn't appropriate for everyone. If you're wholly reliant on public charging that it's arguable whether you will save any money at all.

It's the government who needs to get off their arse and prioritise development of street charging, easing of planning rules for digging up the road, etc for it, etc... not for supermarkets or other private companies to try and fill that void with premium rate charging.

I can’t agree. If I’m going to get a meaningful charge at 7kw I’m going to have to spend at least a couple of hours charging. At Sainsbury’s or even at a retail centre I want to be in and out as soon as possible. 10 minutes on an ultra fast charger would be vastly preferable to hours on a 7kw.

Given that I rarely use public chargers and only do so out of real necessity the price for me is pretty much irrelevant.