Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's with all the 6 kW public L2 chargers? Why is it so rare to find faster AC charging options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ChargePoint CP6000 80 amp deployment, Wilkinsburg Borough, PA. For a fleet of Hyundai Ioniq 5's. Each port is set up on a 100 amp breaker. The 6000 is also available in a 50 amp version. It's actually not that much more than the standard CT4000 that you see everywhere, and can charge cars much faster. It's also easier to fix with an updated modular design. The ones you see have the optional 23 ft cables. Available with a NACS connector. These are the first ones in the Pittsburgh area.
View attachment 1036754View attachment 1036755
Wow first I’ve seen of those. I hope we get some in the Boston area some day.

Reactions: myoda
Back to the OP's original question. Around here there are lots of free public L2 charge stations and most are in the 6.6 (Chargepoint) to 7 or 8 kW range. They are 80% funded by a state grant system that, in turn, is paid for by a $50/year EV registration fee — $30 to roads and $20 to the charge station grant fund. Colorado has been strongly supporting EVs since the early days of the LEAF, both with the charging network and a generous refundable tax credit for EV purchase (currently $5000 per car.)

I've been opportunity charging at those stations since they first began to appear about a decade ago. In the short-range LEAF it helped me make the seventy mile grocery runs in winter. In the early days, when I was pretty much the only person to drive an EV out here in rural mountain Colorado, I used them to show them being used. Now I plug-in and walk four to seven blocks to the stores to get some exercise schlepping groceries back to my car. Or plug-in to go see a movie.

About a year ago, however, Rivian opened a six stall DCFC station plus two 11.5 kW L2 stalls at a shopping center. The DCFC stalls are only for Rivian vehicles but the two L2s are free and open to anyone. Those give a useful amount of charge for a typical shopping trip. So, at least Rivian is installing 11.5 kW L2 stations as part of their Rivian Adventure Network (RAN).

Out here in the boonies it is rare for all the L2 stations to be full, although it does happen on occasion. I suppose it is different in big metro areas.

Reactions: myoda and ewoodrick