Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

While charging at Harris Ranch on the way back from the shareholder meeting I was chatting with the employees at Subway inside the Shell gas station market, I was told by someone (not a Subway employee) who works there that Tesla is putting in the battery swap station where the car wash is currently located, I guess the car wash is broken & they don't want to get it fixed so they struck a deal with Tesla & plans have been drawn up to build the station where the car wash is currently, best guess is should be open in about 6 months or so & will be manned with Tesla personal for awhile until they get the kinks worked out, several times Elon has mentioned the first station will be on the I-5 & this area is perfect.

Name:  Harris Ranch swap.png
Views: 4678
Size:  1.77 MBName:  IMG_0686.jpg
Views: 8270
Size:  3.11 MBName:  IMG_0688.jpg
Views: 5120
Size:  3.57 MBName:  IMG_0690.jpg
Views: 8040
Size:  3.90 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lump; 2014-06-04 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added aerial photo
    85kWh | Red | Black Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | Tech | Pano | 19" T Sportline Grey | VIN 15XXX |

Items for Sale
    That's great news! Good detective work and find. Glad they are actually going ahead with it. Now for the details on the pricing etc.
    60Kwh - Standard White - Black Leather - Black Roof - Tech Package - Air Suspension - Supercharger - 5/21/13 Reservation - 6/22/13 Pickup - #13,XXX - Pictures!

Very cool! I'm still on the fence about if this is a good concept or not, but it has to be tested out in the wild to make that call. Will be very interesting to see the actual model they choose to use with regards to pack ownership, pricing etc. I'm happy they are actually doing it, since I had a strange feeling after the big show with battery swapping on stage and then nothingness/silence for over a year.
    Models S EU P#389 - P85 blue, twin chargers, pano roof, 19" wheels, tech pack, security pack, winter pack, black leather interior. Delivered Sept 5th 2013. - Model X EU P#5 reservation -

Wondering how many ICE cars will drive in there to get a car wash...
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Very cool! I'm still on the fence about if this is a good concept or not, but it has to be tested out in the wild to make that call. Will be very interesting to see the actual model they choose to use with regards to pack ownership, pricing etc. I'm happy they are actually doing it, since I had a strange feeling after the big show with battery swapping on stage and then nothingness/silence for over a year.
    Well, the show hid everything so it wouldn't have been ready. The mechanisms have to exact and reliable.

To me the swapping concept hangs on cost on the road, but I think that overall it has great value, because in a Tesla world there will be tens of thousands of installations and removals happening every day and automated swap capability would make those much less labor intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsNotAboutTheMoney View Post
    Well, the show hid everything so it wouldn't have been ready. The mechanisms have to exact and reliable.
    True. I meant more the demonstration of the concept, with all the bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsNotAboutTheMoney View Post
    To me the swapping concept hangs on cost on the road, but I think that overall it has great value, because in a Tesla world there will be tens of thousands of installations and removals happening every day and automated swap capability would make those much less labor intensive.
    Very true.
    Models S EU P#389 - P85 blue, twin chargers, pano roof, 19" wheels, tech pack, security pack, winter pack, black leather interior. Delivered Sept 5th 2013. - Model X EU P#5 reservation -

This is exciting. I have to admit after driving cross-country in the Tesla, there definitely would be times where I would pay a "tank full of oil" in order to have more flexibility on the trip. Not that I would do it any high percentage of time. And I-5 is probably the most boring road in California.
    Tesla Owner - my blog; Roadster 1.5 Glacier Blue (my avatar is a remembrance photo); Model S Gray 85KwH 21"

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    I wonder how they'll address the business aspect of things (do you still own your original pack and how to you get it back if you travel a different way back home?)
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

The car wash land is fairly big, I wonder if Tesla has secured an even larger area to locate supercharging spots with solar canopy & battery storage, in the future Harris Ranch will need to expand the number of SC's so why not move them away from the hotel & combine everything in one area, maybe even build a small waiting lounge with bathroom & drink vending machines, Harris Ranch can get pretty stinky, dusty & hot. Lots of possabilities if Tesla has a dedicated area & gets creative.
    85kWh | Red | Black Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | Tech | Pano | 19" T Sportline Grey | VIN 15XXX |

Sig 255, VIN 320
    This is great news! I'll be only too happy to be their first customer.

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information