Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This all seems far too complex to be practical. Elon's an engineer, so I'm sure he's thought this through. But the logistics seem messy and potentially costly.

Go watch the swap video. He's stated that the electric connector and fluids are on quick connects, like used on rockets for use in space.

This isn't an engineering problem as proven by Better Place. This is a cost problem. If Tesla can generate sufficient revenue from swap and grid arbitrage and solar, then they can at least make a go of it in California.

- - - Updated - - -

+100 Lump. This is a great piece of evidence.

Go watch the swap video. He's stated that the electric connector and fluids are on quick connects, like used on rockets for use in space.

This isn't an engineering problem as proven by Better Place. This is a cost problem. If Tesla can generate sufficient revenue from swap and grid arbitrage and solar, then they can at least make a go of it in California.
AmpedRealtor was talking about the logistics of keeping track of specific owner's packs. IIRC Elon said during the demo that you get your own pack back at the end of the trip. So the swap station needs to have storage space for owner's packs and spare packs to give out. Seems like a lot of space needed. And how long will they hold on to an owner's pack before billing them the difference in capacity of their pack and the pack they have now?

AmpedRealtor was talking about the logistics of keeping track of specific owner's packs. IIRC Elon said during the demo that you get your own pack back at the end of the trip. So the swap station needs to have storage space for owner's packs and spare packs to give out. Seems like a lot of space needed. And how long will they hold on to an owner's pack before billing them the difference in capacity of their pack and the pack they have now?

Also, what about trips that are loops rather than out and backs?

Weren't the first 2 stations mainly for testing in the "real world", to gauge interest & figure out pricing? Requesting your battery to be returned to your house or local service center probably won't be offered early on.

It seems to me that the way to do this is for each battery to have a stored "degradation index" based on number of charges, time spent on high charge, etc. Rather than dealing with getting your own original battery back, you'd get one with a similar degradation index value plus or minus some difference that would be saved in a kind of revolving account.

This is great! It's nice that 85kw owners can reach HR from bay area on a full charge, skipping Gilroy, swap for a full battery pack and get to LA, without stopping in Tejon. When the SC is full with people waiting, it makes the swap even more compelling.

For 60kw owners, I don't think they can reach HR without charging at least once...unless they drive 55mph?

... and swap whenever you wish to pay more than a full tank of gas and a multimillion$ swapstation happens to be somewhere along your rute.

Mass deployment of swapping stations could be death blow to tesla motors.
One swapping station is a PR stunt for people like jolinar to rejoice.

I mostly agree with Warped. The Better Place pack rental/swapping model was always doomed to fail, I can see a limited use case for Tesla in the short term, which will completely go away once longer range packs become affordable. Once we get 400-500 mile packs the need to quickly "refuel" nears zero.

I think that the swapping stations have potential if they are deployed sparingly, only along frequently traveled routes between Telsa heavy cities, that could normally be made with only 1 charge. Harris range is a great example of this. I simply dont see a market for a cross country network of swapping stations, supercharging is a much better solution for that.