Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Change-out Stations— why wouldn’t this work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure someone has discussed this elsewhere and forgive my technological naïveté, but I have always wondered about this and was hoping someone with more tech savvy could explain it to me.

So, obviously, with the shape and design of current Tesla EV batteries, this wouldn’t work, but why, in theory, is it impossible to have sort of EV battery “swapping” stations in place of destination chargers? The idea would be that, rather than owning your car battery, you have access to a system of stations where you could go when your battery is low and the station has a stock of fully charged batteries that are mechanically swapped by some automated process. They would then take your previous battery and charge it up to install in a future customer.

I realize that current EVs just aren’t designed this way, but is there any other practical reason this wouldn’t work? Tesla obviously has the best EV charging infrastructure right now, destination charging other EVs on any long trip requires massive research and time budgeting as they’re often full, broken or underpowered. This just seems like a much better solution to me and, as a bonus, it would allow for more routine battery maintenance by technicians who could service batteries that have problems quickly, making the whole system more reliable.

Other than the need for a universal standard across vehicles, can anyone explain to me the obstacles?

On a side note, for the technologically minded, is there anyway that, as a larger portion of cars become EVs, that the existing highway system couldn’t be somehow outfitted to provide something like induction charging of EVs as the drive? This is a much weirder concept, and I’m sure there would be massive concerns about safety, but given how reliably wireless charging of phones has become, I’m curious if there is some reason this isn’t theoretically possible?

I have a non-technological hurdle in mind. Many people like me care for their battery health to minimize its degradation. I for one would not want to switch my pack for another one that might be worse. I would not have switched my ICE motor or transmission before for the same reason: I cared for them well, possibly better than the average person.

Reactions: E90alex
I have a non-technological hurdle in mind. Many people like me care for their battery health to minimize its degradation. I for one would not want to switch my pack for another one that might be worse. I would not have switched my ICE motor or transmission before for the same reason: I cared for them well, possibly better than the average person.

Thats the main issue I see. Just like BBQ tank propane exchanges, where the tanks functionally work, but are somewhat battered / used (and not even filled to capacity), there is like ZEERRROOO chance I would use a battery exchange station and take some random battery in that manner.

The only way that would conceptually work, is if no one owned the cars (they were all some sort of ride share service). Im not interested in that either, but some are. Very few people are going to be interested in swapping some random battery into their car.

Before anyone says "people wont care", my answer to that is "then why do we have like 100+ threads here on TMC on "The battery?!?!?!" and "My car has lost 5 miles of range over the last 8 months, its broken right? right? Tesla tells me to kick rocks, they suck so much, my car is broken!!!!!111!!!"

• Love
Reactions: GtiMart
Tesla tried battery swapping with the Model S for a while but eventually gave up. NIO offers battery swapping and it seems to be reasonably popular among their customers. Personally I have no interest in this whatsoever, for both the reasons above, and also because I have a strong dislike of subscriptions in general and prefer the ownership model. Also, fast charging is both fast enough and ubiquitous enough that just makes so much more sense. I would rather just plug in for 15-30 minutes than to have my car partially disassembled to do it 3. And you could build out a tone more DC fast charging stations for the same cost as one battery swap facility I am sure.

Logistically and cost wise this would be an absolute nightmare.

Compared to a supercharger site which is very low overhead and cost, you would need a building which requires a lease and maintenance on its own, plus at least one if not multiple vehicle lifts, equipment, staff, and a supply of several extra batteries ready to be swapped, on top of fast charging equipment needed to recharge the removed batteries. Now multiply that thousands of times over to replace supercharger stations.

Reactions: Big Earl and AMPd
I respect that, absolutely, but given that mileage range and availability of fast charging destinations remains a major hurdle for potential EV consumers, this just struck me as something that might increase adoption. As a bonus, as the overall US car market increasingly electrifies, this might be a new source of revenue for existing gas stations that could theoretically convert overtime and still provide convenience store services and the like.

Also, if they general battery size and connectors could be standardized, it would allow owners of older EVs to potentially get greater range as that technology continues to improve. This would be a long term strategy of course and probably requires more cooperation between car companies than is currently common.

On the downside, the initial financial outlay on this infrastructure would be massive, and Tesla is the only company so far that has really been willing to pony up on that kind of investment with superchargers.

Batteries are highly integrated into the chassis and vehicle design. It would be near impossible to have a “universal” battery that everyone adopts without massive limitations and trade offs in packaging, efficiency and performance.

No other electronic device with lithium batteries have a universal design. They are all custom made and custom fit for the demands and design of each device.

Batteries are highly integrated into the chassis and vehicle design. It would be near impossible to have a “universal” battery that everyone adopts without massive limitations and trade offs in packaging, efficiency and performance.

No other electronic device with lithium batteries have a universal design. They are all custom made and custom fit for the demands and design of each device.
I mean all my garden appliances use standard batteries that I can swap between them, but they are a specific line of products from a specific manufacturer (Greenworks 60V). The packs are also like 3 lb and fit in one hand, so not at all comparable to a car. So yeah, not gonna happen.

Battery swapping has been done, but is unlikely to succeed for cars. It seems to be alive and well for motorcycles though. Gogogo is doing well with it.

1694212747283.jpeg

It was given a quite serious try early on. The company was called Better Place. A lot of their choices were pretty sensible. It was run by a guy with serious high-level management experience and capitalized at a pretty high level.

It also failed, about ten years ago. You could look it up.
Yep. OP can look starting around Project Better Place about their downward spiral to 0.

Tesla has a patent. But as stated above, that ship has sailed.

1. All EV batteries are liquid cooled. The system needs to be purged of all air bubbles, which would be introduced during the process.
2. Batteries are heavy, and are now part of the structure.
3. Who is going to be liable when a battery fails...
4. Differences in cell chemistry require different programming, although GM's new Ultium battery solves this.

Nothing is impossible, but that doesn't make it better, or worthwhile doing. Most of your charging is supposed to be done at home, on your meter, in your garage or parking spot. Public charging is only needed on road trips. If one doesn't have the ability to charge overnight at home, then an EV is not the right vehicle to buy. DC charging is effective enough to deal with most road trips. There just needs to be more stations.

As far as wireless charging: Expensive to implement into the roads, introduces energy losses, not better then the solutions we already have (DC charging & gas). The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
As @smogne41 said, Tesla had a test station on I-5 back in the day. They did this in order to capture some extra CARB credits. Battery swapping can only work if the battery is not included in the purchase of the car (so you end up leasing the battery). Otherwise you would have to keep an entire bank of batteries and always ensure that you installed a battery with the same capacity of the one you removed. Logistics nightmare. Plus you have to have a bunch of packs just sitting around at 100% charge waiting to be used. Li-Ion cells don't like to sit at 100% for long periods.

That being said, it was a lot faster than charging (back in 2013 it was 90 seconds and they thought they could get it to under a minute with more work) and Tesla did it with the liquid-cooled Model S battery so no issues there. Self-purging pumps have been solved for a long time. Another benefit is that you could charge the packs more slowly using renewables and/or not spike the grid with rapid on/off charging.

I’m sure someone has discussed this elsewhere and forgive my technological naïveté, but I have always wondered about this and was hoping someone with more tech savvy could explain it to me.

So, obviously, with the shape and design of current Tesla EV batteries, this wouldn’t work, but why, in theory, is it impossible to have sort of EV battery “swapping” stations in place of destination chargers? The idea would be that, rather than owning your car battery, you have access to a system of stations where you could go when your battery is low and the station has a stock of fully charged batteries that are mechanically swapped by some automated process. They would then take your previous battery and charge it up to install in a future customer.

Tesla thought about doing this early on. Here is a demo with Musk...

YouTube video