Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worse car buying experience ever!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Previously purchased multiples cars from Honda Accord to Porsche 911. My last new car purchase was a Honda CRV. Prior to this the most problem I ran into was a European delivery of my BMW M4. Dealer forgot to turn in the paperwork and I found out 3 weeks before going to Munich. In the end dealer arranged to have an M4 for me to drive in Germany and gave me a bigger discount on the car. Lots of apologies and even sent me to the BMW M school for free.

Fast forward to this month we ordered our first DLR model 3. Right away I can tell my ISA was right out of high school or something. Very unprofessional doesn’t inform me of anything. Took him a whole week to correct a name error on the purchase agreement.

I got my first delivery date and was excited the day before. But I was suspicious too good to be true so I called ISA. That’a when he told me oops sorry car not ready let’s make it a week later. I waited another week, funded my purchase. And the day before again no update from him so I emailed (he never picks up phone and VM always full). Sure enough sorry car not ready we have to look for a new car for you. Again no details as to why they are looking for a new car. Multiple phone calls with hour long hold before I found out from another rep that the car was damaged beyond repair when it got to delivery in Costa Mesa.

I told them to tell the ISA supervisor to get me a new ISA, the guy I’m working with is incompetent doesn’t update me and very unprofessional. They said supervisor will call me shortly. No calls at the end of the day but my incompetent ISA called me saying car was damaged looking for a new one. Something I already know.

So Tesla is number one.. in being the worse customer service car company out there. I’m really having second thoughts about spending 65k on this car. If it were not for my wife really wanting this car I rather get a Bolt! I’ve owned 2 Corvettes and Chevy custiner service was a ton better than this. Elon what the heck happened to your company!?

My IDA was horrible and then they assigned me a new one. I didn’t think it could get worse but it did. They are both horrible at keeping promises but at least my original IDA was a nice guy, the new one is a jerk and the one time I talked to him on the phone he gave me such an attitude I was almost done with Tesla completely. The pricing is messed up on my purchase agreement and his response is well then don’t sign it and don’t get your car! I can’t believe how rude he was.

So Tesla is number one.. in being the worse customer service car company out there. I’m really having second thoughts about spending 65k on this car. If it were not for my wife really wanting this car I rather get a Bolt! I’ve owned 2 Corvettes and Chevy custiner service was a ton better than this. Elon what the heck happened to your company!?

Your wife is smart. No need to over-react. They are doing their best. They are swamped.

Tesla deliveries in California are up 400% over the last quarter. Things are hectic to say the least. When something goes wrong with a smooth deliver lots of people need to get involved to rectify the situation. Sometimes they can just slot in an identical car, change the VIN and everybody is happy, but when this is not possible lots of actions are necessary to reset the delivery.

California deliveries have lots of headwinds right now. The forest fires surrounding the factory area have fouled the air, screwed up the highways, displaced many of their workers and their families. Roads are closed, shipments get delayed. Generally it is really challenging right now for everybody. It is the Thanksgiving weekend, rain is expected and snow is blanketing the mountains. Generally the worst possible time for things to go smoothly. In addition Tesla is doing everything in their power to get as many vehicles delivered as possible to get their customers the maximum amount of Federal Tax Credits.

Imaging that we will see more posts like yours on these forums. Maybe things will be a little smoother running after the first of the year.

It’s annoying join the club.[/QUOTE]
The pricing is messed up on my purchase agreement and his response is well then don’t sign it and don’t get your car! I can’t believe how rude he was.

Wow and I thought I had it bad. I guess it's a lot worse than I thought.

We just got a white model 3 a couple weeks ago, and, yes, the delivery was difficult and confusing, but we are really, really, really happy now. I hope you appreciate how smart your wife is about this.

Glad it worked out for you. And I hope our experience turns out like yours.

California deliveries have lots of headwinds right now. The forest fires surrounding the factory area have fouled the air, screwed up the highways, displaced many of their workers and their families. Roads are closed, shipments get delayed. Generally it is really challenging right now for everybody. It is the Thanksgiving weekend, rain is expected and snow is blanketing the mountains. Generally the worst possible time for things to go smoothly. In addition Tesla is doing everything in their power to get as many vehicles delivered as possible to get their customers the maximum amount of Federal Tax Credits.

Imaging that we will see more posts like yours on these forums. Maybe things will be a little smoother running after the first of the year.

I completely understand. But that's no excuse to throw customer service completely out the window. I waited 4 months for my BMW M4 to be built, shipped across the Atlantic, and delivered to me. I don't mind waiting and I have done it before. But when the IDA you're dealing with doesn't even know the basics of customer service, doesn't update you on anything until the day before delivery, cannot provide you with simple explanations, and 1h+ hold time to talk with a representative. That's just inexcusable.

Yep canceled day of delivery, had to cancel my loan and now need to re apply. Rates up .25% I hope they match previous rate I had.

It’s annoying join the club.

Well thanks for sharing guys. At least I know now not to expect much from Tesla it's clearly out of control. Yes I too had to cancel my loan and reapply for another loan, since they had mailed out the check with that vin number on it.

People keep coming up with excuses for Tesla.

Will see how the company is going to be once the competitors start producing their EVs.
Yes, first-mover advantage is aiding Tesla materially, to be sure.
Tesla still has at least three years of runway before any meaningful competitors come along.
Plenty of time to solve the simplest of Tesla's challenges.

Yes, first-mover advantage is aiding Tesla materially, to be sure.
Tesla still has at least three years of runway before any meaningful competitors come along.
Plenty of time to solve the simplest of Tesla's challenges.

Yes I'm looking forward to the Taycan in 3 years. Originally I thought the biggest draw to Tesla was the superchargers. But now that there's almost always a line there it's no longer an advantage you need to do charging at home. So I'm open to pretty much any electric car as long as the range is above 300 miles.

Yes I'm looking forward to the Taycan in 3 years. Originally I thought the biggest draw to Tesla was the superchargers. But now that there's almost always a line there it's no longer an advantage you need to do charging at home. So I'm open to pretty much any electric car as long as the range is above 300 miles.

Good news, Tesla Roadster 2.0 probably qualifies!

People keep coming up with excuses for Tesla.

Will see how the company is going to be once the competitors start producing their EVs.

Please. Please competitors produce EVs! Please! Seriously! We need them.

You think Tesla Cust serv is bad just wait until legacy car makers actually do make EVs and then try to force their stealerships to sell them. Not going to be pretty.

Wake me when they finally start real and aggressive investments into battery factories. Please!

Very disheartening to hear a constant stream of bad experiences buying a Tesla. Things were different 4 years ago. Sad to see Tesla a slave to the almighty shareholders who demand volume production and don't care about the chaos that is creating with customers because that won't affect profits within 24 hrs.

Is really not the shareholders. This is Tesla pushing it...because this is their mission and the clock is ticking. They will fix this. It is disheartening to see unhappy buyers but unfortunately predictable. Have you tried to hire competent help lately? Lemme tell you it is tough... Try hiring thousands at a time.

Hope it works out for all involved. The cars are the best on the road.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA

You think Tesla Cust serv is bad just wait until legacy car makers actually do make EVs and then try to force their stealerships to sell them. Not going to be pretty.

Wake me when they finally start real and aggressive investments into battery factories. Please!

I agree most dealerships won't care to sell you an EV, however, the CS of any dealership, pre-sales, is still going above and beyond what the current situation is EV or not.

I just hope Tesla can fix CS because in 2015 my delivery was amazing. They went over all the functions of the car with me, detailed the car and then in and out in an hr tops. They didn't give me the runaround for 3 weeks, then did a no-show on the day of delivery and only just delivered today after I called out our DA about the no-show and asked to be prioritized.

I actually had a good sales guy, very good IDA, and decent delivery guy at the SC but it was baaaad Delivery experience.

From home delivery or SC delivery thread:
“I hope someome with home delivery can answer some questions like was the car just drop shipped while it was in route from Cali? Do they fully detail it? Does someone from T come to your house to finalize the sale? Walk you through the car?

I’m not sure what level of car detailing or walkthrough goes into home delivery but based on my SC delivery experience just today. I would pick home delivery!!!

Arrived at 2pm. Left at 4:45. It was a mad house. Impatient waiters, bad energy. Sure they said it would only take 30minutes but do you really believe them? Water color had no cups. Mini fridge was empty. Single Bathrooms were a complete mess. People not in the know about Tesla customer service expecting the moon. But hell for the price we are paying I expect some attention to detail and excellent service . Spinning the same schpeal to all waiters. Thank goodness I’m super chill and my wife and kid is awesome. I was totally underwhelmed. I would have preferred to stay at home and chill and wait for the car to come to me rather than watch frantic workers walk past customers and mostly ignore them thinking they owe them cause they are getting an awesome Tesla.

Tesla really holds you by the balls in regards to paying first than we will show you the goods. It doesn’t matter.

I would have lost my shhiiet if we received a damaged car or bad build. Thank goodness we did not. From what I can tell from the 5 minutes I looked over the car. Factory to push 70 cars out in one day.

Model S owner here too. Love Tesla but that experience was one star. But 5 star ride. Maybe 4 star ride. Really left a sour taste in my mouth. Wife was happy but I held my tongue. Tomorrow is another day. JUST BREATHE.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: viridi and kavyboy
My delivery was a bit troubled. It was scheduled for Saturday. They moved it up to Wednesday (if I was available).

Went to pick it up. Someone came out and apologized, they didn't get the car detailed. Texas delivery and Las Vegas is doing the scheduling w/o confirming they have the bandwidth to prep cars.

Showed me the dusty car to show nothing major wrong with it and asked that I came back 2 hours later.

It was ready in 2 hours. A few minor due bill items (water in lower trunk liner, bent chrome trim).

Wife is happy with the car.

It is like having a baby. The delivery experience can be difficult. But once you get that car home, your wife is gonna love it. Best car ever! We just got a white model 3 a couple weeks ago, and, yes, the delivery was difficult and confusing, but we are really, really, really happy now. I hope you appreciate how smart your wife is about this.

Hope your husband knows how smart his wife is. :)

People need to separate the kid who made your caramel frap a week before he joined Tesla from the actual vehicle itself.

@N2B8

Tesla went from selling 20,000 cars in a year to 25,000 cars in a week. That’s what happened.

Lol at Bolt. I actually ended up behind one once because the traffic light was red. Those lights are weird. And OnStar.. bleh

You will be thankful your wife is sticking to her guns.

My experience with the local Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Audi dealerships here, both service and sales, is above and beyond what anyone is getting from Tesla these days. Tesla management needs to walk through a Lexus dealership and take some notes. It's not just delivery issues...had my annual at the Palo Alto Service center yesterday....wow. Overworked, understaffed, grossly inadequate faculties for the volume of cars locally. And a 6 hour round trip for me because no service center in Fresno even though it's been listed as coming by the end of the year for the last 3 years.

if my car wasn't so darned great I would have ditched it a while back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl and Bill33525