Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can buy 19" rims on their own without having to purchase the winter tire package. That is what I did.

Ugly factor aside, are there plain steel 19'' rims that would fit? It seems very common here in S. Ontario, even on high end cars, to see plain old steel rims with winter tires running all over the place. (I do that myself on my wife's car and save the aluminum rims for the summer).

Ugly factor aside, are there plain steel 19'' rims that would fit? It seems very common here in S. Ontario, even on high end cars, to see plain old steel rims with winter tires running all over the place. (I do that myself on my wife's car and save the aluminum rims for the summer).

Probably not because the Telsa wheels are hub-centric. (They centre over the hub, not the bolt circle). It's going to be hard to find a steel wheel that has the correct diameter centre bore. Otherwise, steel wheels for winter make a lot of sense. Note that using "centering rings" is a good recipe for vibration and odd wear.

Get one of these tire repair kits from Griot's Garage. Just be sure to get the tire inspected properly (means demount the tire and inspect the interior for damage) afterwards.

I have installed tire plugs myself (just bought the tool, some plugs and the goop) and it worked surprisingly well, and was easy to do (in my garage!). Not sure I'd want to be doing this at night at the side of the road in a snowstorm with sub-freezing temperatures (which is exactly where I as that last time I had a flat).

I'll probably go with something like a Slime kit, that is not supposed to damage the TPMS.

I have installed tire plugs myself (just bought the tool, some plugs and the goop) and it worked surprisingly well, and was easy to do (in my garage!). Not sure I'd want to be doing this at night at the side of the road in a snowstorm with sub-freezing temperatures (which is exactly where I as that last time I had a flat)

With the car raised all the way up in jack mode, it shouldn't be harder to put in a plug than to use the slime.

Probably not because the Telsa wheels are hub-centric. (They centre over the hub, not the bolt circle). It's going to be hard to find a steel wheel that has the correct diameter centre bore. Otherwise, steel wheels for winter make a lot of sense. Note that using "centering rings" is a good recipe for vibration and odd wear.

Are they? Given the design of the lug nuts I assumed it was lug centric.

For those getting winter tires: I've tried calling both the service centre and store a few times and apparently have bad timing, only getting the answering machine. I left a message with the service centre about the winter package, but haven't heard back. I've also left an email with Hans that has not been responded to, also saying I wanted the package. I'm hearing about Pirelli shortages in Tesla USA; should I try to track down someone to confirm if the Pirelli's have been added to my account / are ordered? Who did people talk to (ie. is there someone in charge of the winter tire stuff)? It's times like these where I wish I could go in person.
Thanks!
Email Lisa at the service centre.
[email protected]

Yes, but last time I just pressed my OnStar button... that was not hard at all :smile: I suspect Tesla Roadside Assistance will be hard to resist in those conditions, but without a spare, would they plug/repair the tire or just tow?

It will likely depend on their contractor in the area unless you're close enough for a Ranger.

I just had very useful series of e-mail exchanges with Kimbal Musk, George B, and Joost de Vries concerning the new ventilation ducts (which I posted in the Fogging thread), and winter tires - specifically whether bi-annual tire swaps are included in the annual maintenance. The gist of the information is below.

I must say that I have been thoroughly impressed by the level of interaction these three busy individuals have shown in addressing my concerns, taking the time to reply promptly and personally to a single customer. I made sure to note this in my replies to them.

Quoted from Joost de Vries:

"For your bi-annual tire swap, YES, this is included in your maintenance package. You'll have to come into our Service Center in Laval for the swap and we'll even offer to store your off season tires for you until you need to swap again 6 months later. This is applicable both in Ontario as well as Quebec."

I do not know if the tires are to be stored locally, or if a fee will be requested for the service, but this is fantastic news for those who are obliged to use winter tires !

Last edited:
If you swap your own wheels, the unlimited ranger service plan could be worth it for you, since the TPMS is covered and both service centers are not very close to Ottawa.

Oh, I'm definitely doing the unlimited plan. That's a marvelous option for those without a service center in town. In fact you'd have to be seriously dumb not to go for it - it will pay for itself if you have even one extra visit over and above the annual.

Oh, I'm definitely doing the unlimited plan. That's a marvelous option for those without a service center in town. In fact you'd have to be seriously dumb not to go for it - it will pay for itself if you have even one extra visit over and above the annual.
Doug,
How much is the unlimited ranger plan. I ordered 21" wheels/tires on an SP model in Michigan and will need to swap to the 19" ver for 3-4 mos out of the year. Though I maybe able to go without TPMS alerts for a few months out of the year to avoid the resetting hassle twice a year.

Doug,
How much is the unlimited ranger plan. I ordered 21" wheels/tires on an SP model in Michigan and will need to swap to the 19" ver for 3-4 mos out of the year. Though I maybe able to go without TPMS alerts for a few months out of the year to avoid the resetting hassle twice a year.

See Tesla Service | Tesla Motors

Effectively it's an extra $500 for the four year plan. During that time you would have needed four $100 Ranger visits just for annual service, so it's a fantastic deal.

See Tesla Service | Tesla Motors

Effectively it's an extra $500 for the four year plan. During that time you would have needed four $100 Ranger visits just for annual service, so it's a fantastic deal.

Doug,
I see on the Tesla site that its 2400. prepaid for 4yrs/50k with unlimited ranger visits. Since i don't have a close service center yet living in Ann Arbor, MI I guess that would save me the 100/fee that is extra for each ranger visit. Guess you need to make sure one hangs onto the car for 4 years however, otherwise you can pay 600/yr plus 100. for each Ranger visit if needed.

Doug,
I see on the Tesla site that its 2400. prepaid for 4yrs/50k with unlimited ranger visits. Since i don't have a close service center yet living in Ann Arbor, MI I guess that would save me the 100/fee that is extra for each ranger visit. Guess you need to make sure one hangs onto the car for 4 years however, otherwise you can pay 600/yr plus 100. for each Ranger visit if needed.

Personally, I fully expect to hold on to the car for > 4 years.