Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not know if the tires are to be stored locally, or if a fee will be requested for the service, but this is fantastic news for those who are obliged to use winter tires !
I don't know what the situation at Laval will be, but in the Boston (Watertown) service center, they don't have enough storage to meet likely demand, so they're not storing anyone's. As an economist, I would prefer they use pricing to allocate scarce storage space, but I guess they want to appear equitable. I'm not sure what condo-owners and renters are going to do with their second set of wheels. If Tesla were willing to charge for wheel storage, they could simply rent an off-site storage unit for them.

That's been my concern as well, mnox. I put 90k on my last car in just over a year, so none of the service plans appear to be of great benefit and the "annual" checkup will be pretty durn frequent, more like an ICE oil change interval.

FWIW, I was offered tire storage when I picked up my car in Toronto, but as there was a modest fee, I declined and took my 21s with me. I think I must have been the only one as they seemed kind of surprised. Now I have three stacks of off season tires. Hehe.

I'll probably pass. I'm 4 miles from a Service Center and based on my expected mileage, I'll blow through the "4 Year Plan" in about 2 years.

Right, it's obviously of no use to you. I'd be really dumb NOT to go for it, given that the closest service center is > 2 hours away (when Laval opens... right now it's 4.5 hours plus at least an hour en route charging to get to Mississauga), and I do about 20,000 km a year. I can't see them opening an Ottawa service depot for a while.

I think I must have been the only one as they seemed kind of surprised.

I stored mine on pick-up day because I was headed off to see a client after and knew I'd be giving test drives all afternoon. :) I'll store them at home after the first swap out. Should be in for the "annual" service just in time for spring at this rate as I will cross 5,000km tomorrow.

Does this mean that things like the service plan are "non-transferrable" if you sell the vehicle?

I sure hope it is transferrable given that my wife is investigating med school in New Zealand and Australia for next year. I haven't seen any details on how to sign up for the plan yet and just send email to the Toronto Service Centre to find out more because we're supposed to buy the 4-year pre-paid within 30 days of receiving the car.

I was asked what I got for winter tires from Tirerack on another thread but decided it'd be better to post it here instead.

Enkei Raijin 19" wheels:
Enkei Tuning Raijin-19 Black Painted

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
MichelinPilot Alpin PA3
(pros: low rolling resistance, better rated by CR than the the Pirelli's in most categories)
(cons: more of a cold weather performance tire than a snow tire, doesn't come in 245 width so I ordered 255's)

I was asked what I got for winter tires from Tirerack on another thread but decided it'd be better to post it here instead.

Enkei Raijin 19" wheels:
Enkei Tuning Raijin-19 Black Painted

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
MichelinPilot Alpin PA3
(pros: low rolling resistance, better rated by CR than the the Pirelli's in most categories)
(cons: more of a cold weather performance tire than a snow tire, doesn't come in 245 width so I ordered 255's)

Pics? Experiences so far? Thanks!

Sorry, should have been more specific. I won't have my Model S for 7 days and I won't have the wheels/tires until next ~Thursday. I'll try to post pics and initial impressions late next week.

In the mean time, nrcooled ordered the same wheels with a silver finish. He has pics on this thread: Pics: Model S w/ Lightweight Aftermarket Wheels

mnx,

I think the wheels look awesome, but the tires aren't hard-core enough for Montreal winters... wondering if you evaluated any other options on Tire Rack. They don't have the Nokian Hakka 7s which a couple people are recommending.

Also I was wondering what you're doing for TPMS... did you spend $600 at Tesla and buy from them?

Yeah if I were in Montreal I'd probably be trying to snag a set of Nokian Hakka R's or Michelin Xice2/3.

I did not bother buying TPMS sensors. I might add them later if they are able to program 2 sets of wheels in the car. Since I don't have sensors in my winter wheels, it will save me 2 trips to the service center each year to re-program the car. Of course for 4 months of the year I'll have to be more diligent about checking tire pressure.

mnx,

I think the wheels look awesome, but the tires aren't hard-core enough for Montreal winters... wondering if you evaluated any other options on Tire Rack. They don't have the Nokian Hakka 7s which a couple people are recommending.

Also I was wondering what you're doing for TPMS... did you spend $600 at Tesla and buy from them?

I just had very useful series of e-mail exchanges with Kimbal Musk, George B, and Joost de Vries concerning the new ventilation ducts (which I posted in the Fogging thread), and winter tires - specifically whether bi-annual tire swaps are included in the annual maintenance. The gist of the information is below.

Quoted from Joost de Vries:

"For your bi-annual tire swap, YES, this is included in your maintenance package. You'll have to come into our Service Center in Laval for the swap and we'll even offer to store your off season tires for you until you need to swap again 6 months later. This is applicable both in Ontario as well as Quebec."

I do not know if the tires are to be stored locally, or if a fee will be requested for the service, but this is fantastic news for those who are obliged to use winter tires !

Just want to clarify this:

1. Do you mean the Toronto will not charge us to do the bi-annual tires swap if we purchase their $2,500 4 years maintenance plan?

2. Do they charge a fee for the tires storage? If so, any idea how much is it?

You can get the Hakkas at tiresbyweb. I've dealt with them several times over the past ten years and they have been pretty good.

There is a tire shop on Sainte rose that specialize in Nokian that I called and they had no more Haka Rs and said they were discontinued but suggested the 7s which they could order. Apparently they also come in a non-studded version as well. I checked and the newer versions that are replacing the R and 7 (R2 and 8)
are not coming coming out til next year.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get the Hakkas at tiresbyweb. I've dealt with them several times over the past ten years and they have been pretty good.

Might be easier and/or cheaper to go through a local shop to get them in Canada instead of using tiresbyweb when you take into account the shipping, duty and brokerage fees we would pay.

Yeah if I were in Montreal I'd probably be trying to snag a set of Nokian Hakka R's or Michelin Xice2/3.

I did not bother buying TPMS sensors. I might add them later if they are able to program 2 sets of wheels in the car. Since I don't have sensors in my winter wheels, it will save me 2 trips to the service center each year to re-program the car. Of course for 4 months of the year I'll have to be more diligent about checking tire pressure.

I would do the same if I knew at the time. TPMS in winter is not very useful and it's a pain to have it reprogrammed when you're not close to a Tesla service center. I don't mind the TPMS error for 4 months.

Last edited:
Might be easier and/or cheaper to go through a local shop to get them in Canada instead of using tiresbyweb when you take into account the shipping, duty and brokerage fees we would pay.

You're right, but I haven't lived in Canada for a few years now so I don't have anyplace there I've dealt with recently.