Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why only 40 miles per hour on Gen 3 Tesla Wall Charger for MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This also varies with different drivers. If I add 1kWh to the battery (after accounting for ~5% charging losses) I know that on average I can drive 3.75 miles in my 2020 Long Range Tesla Model Y (assuming 11kWh added to the battery in an hour for 41.25 miles). Another Tesla Model Y owner might be able to drive just 3.25 miles (11kWh in an hour for 35.75 miles) and a third might be able to drive 4.00 miles (11kWh in an hour for 44 miles). It is the same 11kWh added to the battery after 1 hour of charging. Famously, your mileage may vary.
Yes, this is true. The indicated “mi/h” charge rate is based on EPA ratings so the number on the screen won’t vary based on driving, but in reality you won’t get the indicated miles of range after an hour of charging anyways since the EPA rating is unrealistic and unachievable in normal driving.

So it’s essentially useless other than being a relative measure of charging speed. “40 mi/h” charge rate is faster than “30 mi/h”. But that doesn’t mean you will actually be able to drive 40 or 30 miles after 1 hour of charging.

Why? That's the way that Tesla shows it.

Because for this OP it obviously doesnt work. They are mistakenly thinking they are missing something (40miles vs 43 miles charge rate), and talking about something that needs to be "fixed" when there is clearly nothing physically wrong.

Talking about Miles per hour charge rate is fine for an approximation, but once you start getting to "40 vs 43" differences, and saying there is an issue, to determine whether there is or isnt an issue actual power should be used. In this case its abundantly clear there isnt an actual issue when we look at power vs miles per hour charge.

Because for this OP it obviously doesnt work. They are mistakenly thinking they are missing something (40miles vs 43 miles charge rate), and talking about something that needs to be "fixed" when there is clearly nothing physically wrong.

Talking about Miles per hour charge rate is fine for an approximation, but once you start getting to "40 vs 43" differences, and saying there is an issue, to determine whether there is or isnt an issue actual power should be used. In this case its abundantly clear there isnt an actual issue when we look at power vs miles per hour charge.

Okay, sure. I just looked at the Tesla Shop pages for the Mobile and Wall connectors. Do you know that they don't show? Wattage.

If you are going to tell people not to use mph, then you always need to include an explanation of what to use and the ratings of the products, since Tesla doesn't do so.

1690990762587.png

1690990797475.png

Okay, sure. I just looked at the Tesla Shop pages for the Mobile and Wall connectors. Do you know that they don't show? Wattage.

If you are going to tell people not to use mph, then you always need to include an explanation of what to use and the ratings of the products, since Tesla doesn't do so.

View attachment 961652

View attachment 961653

I did, including with figures and a link to a power calculator, with examples specific to the OP, in this thread. I also put a link to the actual chart from Tesla as it relates to charging speed, also in this thread, which does clearly show power.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It seems like you're not reading/listening to what people are telling you.

The "actual" rate of charge is measured in kW. Not "miles per hour." Just like the amount of gas you put in an ICE car is measured in gallons, not miles, and (if you cared) the rate of filling up that car could be measured in gallons/second or gallons/minute, not "miles per minute". You're not putting miles in the car, you're putting energy into the car. As others have tried to say, about 6+ times now, "miles per hour" is just a ballpark/colloquial way of expressing a charging rate in a way that's easy for people to have some understanding of, but it's not a true unit of measurement for power delivery and thus is irrelevant to use in the way in which you're trying to use it.

Aside from what you might call the "normal efficiency rating" of a car/battery system in terms of range, there's also driving style/habits. The same amount of power delivered to the car will translate into different range when its consumed depending on a variety of factors — including how you drive it. Just like gas/ICE cars. You getting mad about this charging rate when you're looking at it in "miles per hour" is like getting mad at an ICE car's range estimate after you fill the tank, when you drive it like a bat out of hell and only get 60% of the estimated distance.
And what you are missing is that the OP does seem to know the difference but it using the terms as is specified on the product that they bought.

Where on the Tesla page does it show the kW of the connectors?

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill
And what you are missing is that the OP does seem to know the difference but it using the terms as is specified on the product that they bought.

They dont seem to know the difference to me, and the text you linked clearly says "up to", so there is no promise of speed there.

What is the Voltage displayed by the car while charging?

Like the Mods AC supply ours run a bit high. I have never seen below 237 VAC under load and is higher than 240 most times. My car displays 12 kW charge rate sometimes. I like the wall connector it seems more substantially built than some other units.

I guess if I have a point is that if he has a saggy AC supply the charge rate and therefor miles added will suffer.
Charge added rate changes like when going on a long trip and pushing the charge over 90%. Agree that UP TO covers it.

I don't see what the problem really is.

Tesla explicitly footnotes that "All charge speeds are approximate.", so not sure what all the hubbub is about, from OP or otherwise.

Reactions: 455dan and Midpack
I'll just say it... paying for a wall connector and paying to have it hardwired to go from a 14-50 circuit to a 60A circuit without a REAL need for the extra capacity based on driving habits...is not worth it.

Now if you absolutely need that extra charging capacity for your daily commuting needs, then that is another story...and adds in other issues.

I'll just say it... paying for a wall connector and paying to have it hardwired to go from a 14-50 circuit to a 60A circuit without a REAL need for the extra capacity based on driving habits...is not worth it.

Now if you absolutely need that extra charging capacity for your daily commuting needs, then that is another story...and adds in other issues.
The Wall Connector has additional benefits besides the potential for faster charging at 48 amps.

- 24 foot charging cord versus 18.5 foot charging cord on the Mobile Connector

- Designed for use in all weather conditions

- Automatic load balancing when two or more Wall Connectors are in use

- Ability to limit charging to specific Tesla vehicles

Reactions: bruce4000
As Tesla advertised, the electrician stated that the regular model Y's get 44 miles range per hour (running at 240V and drawing 48 amps). However, for some reason, his experience is that the Model Y Performance only gets 40 to 41 mph. Why is this the case when the battery packs are basically identical? Will Tesla have an update soon to address this? Only getting 40 mph makes much less sense to pay extra for the hardwired kit.
it doesn't matter what the rate of charge is, if the car is fully charged in the morning for your daily needs or to start your trip.

and by that logic, a Wall Charger is not a bargain compared to a Mobile Charger that you can take with you and use in many places.

The Wall Connector has additional benefits besides the potential for faster charging at 48 amps.

- 24 foot charging cord versus 18.5 foot charging cord on the Mobile Connector

- Designed for use in all weather conditions

- Automatic load balancing when two or more Wall Connectors are in use

- Ability to limit charging to specific Tesla vehicles

I agree but still not worth it in my opinion with the limited information from the OP...but just to give rebuttal to your comments...

If cord length is an issue, it's still way cheaper to re-adjust existing outlet placement to make up for that 5.5 feet.

You can have a weather protected outlet enclosure

No indication that the OP has the intention of using two or more wall connectors

No indication that the OP is intending on limiting charging to a specific Tesla.

Not range anxiety, just disappointed that I made the investment for the direct wire unit and install, and not getting the advertised rates. Before I was using a NEMA 14-50 outlet at 240/16 amps. I could of easily just purchased the $200 240/40A Tesla portable corded charger and got similar results at 35 mi/h with much less costs.
how did you use a NEMA 14-50 and only get 16A? Did you have a 3rd party charger or something?

You could have "easily just purchased" a gen 1 portable charger but they are hot commodities and generally go for the same cost as a WC

The question is why did you need an electrician at all to just install a WC assuming you're using the same feed that the NEMA 14-50 outlet was feeding... u could have just wired it up yourself?

Soo the real complaint is with owning a Model Y Performance, right? It seems to me the car is the reason- Not the wall connector and since your set up like mine is pulling the full 48 amps @240 VAC It really is as Good as it will get.

Would you want to go to a LR because of this, instead of your Performance?
I would not.

I have two plug in vehicles. I was using a 3rd party charger that was rated at 240/16A for the 14-50R. There was a regional incentive to get reimbursed for the majority of the cost to add a wall charger with the install. Charging the vehicle is nearly 3x as fast now, which I appreciate, but I originally thought maybe other members knew a way to bump it up to the rated 44 (as there is no asterisk on that rating it varies by trim).

Screenshot_20230803_221625_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
I could of easily just purchased the $200 240/40A Tesla portable corded charger and got similar results at 35 mi/h with much less costs.

Pretty sure the mobile connector is limited to 32amps... plus you then need to purchase a high quality outlet ($100) plus a GFCI breaker ($150)... so actually what you have (the HPWC) cost less and is of better quality (safety) and charging speed.

Because I like to repeat what others have already said 10 times... let me take a crack at it. Your hardwired unit will put energy into the Model Y LR at the same speed that it puts it into the Model Y Performance. The only thing different is that the performance will *use* the energy faster. This is why it quotes the performance as only getting "40mph of charging" or whatever, vs the LR getting "44mph of energy".

This is like being upset that you and your friend both paid the same price for a beer since you drink yours faster. Both Model Y's would get energy from your wall at the same rate, just the performance "drinks" it faster.