Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why only 40 miles per hour on Gen 3 Tesla Wall Charger for MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Tesla advertised, the electrician stated that the regular model Y's get 44 miles range per hour (running at 240V and drawing 48 amps). However, for some reason, his experience is that the Model Y Performance only gets 40 to 41 mph. Why is this the case when the battery packs are basically identical? Will Tesla have an update soon to address this? Only getting 40 mph makes much less sense to pay extra for the hardwired kit.

Only getting 40 mph makes much less sense to pay extra for the hardwired kit.

This is a really strange thing to say, to me, even though I understand that many (most?) people look at this in "miles per hour of range charged" when that isnt really what is happening.

Whats strange is, somehow thinking that 40 MPH makes less sense to pay for than 43-44 MPH.

In any case, the fastest they charge is 11.5kWh, and that is the same maximum charging speed across model 3s and Ys that are able to take 48amp charging. Both model Y long range and Model Y Performance charge at that same maximum 11.5 kWh charge speed.

What it displays on the screen for charge rate also has to do with Voltage, since the voltage matters.

The AVERAGE charge rates for a given amperage are in Teslas charts:

wall connector charging speed.png

Whether you get 44 MPH or 40 MPH from a 60amp circuit / 48amp charging, is going to depend on the voltage you are charging at. My wifes Model Y performance charges at 43-44 MPH, for example, and my house runs a little hot voltage wise, at 243 to 244 volts, under load, while charging.

The answer to "Will tesla have an update to address this?" is "No, because there is absolutely nothing for them to address".

Whether you get 44 MPH or 40 MPH from a 60amp circuit / 48amp charging, is going to depend on the voltage you are charging at. My wifes Model Y performance charges at 43-44 MPH, for example, and my house runs a little hot voltage wise, at 243 to 244 volts, under load, while charging.

The answer to "Will tesla have an update to address this?" is "No, because there is absolutely nothing for them to address".
The numbers I've monitored on the app were 239 to 240 volts under load and 40 to 41 MPH charging on the MYP. I was hoping to get the constant 44 shown on the chart. The electrician said that this use to be the case, but the software (or design) of the MYP '22-'23 changed somewhere, and now they get only 40. Was wondering if there was a work around.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
The numbers I've monitored on the app were 239 to 240 volts under load and 40 to 41 MPH charging on the MYP. I was hoping to get the constant 44 shown on the chart. The electrician said that this use to be the case, but the software (or design) of the MYP '22-'23 changed somewhere, and now they get only 40. Was wondering if there was a work around.
Get a non-performance version of the car.

No, there is no work around, because energy is not put in the car in miles, its put in in kWh. You are not missing anything at all with your charging rate. if you are charging at 48 amps at 240 volts, you are getting 11.5kWh of power, same as a model Y Long range.

The reason I posted the chart was to show you that "miles" really does not matter as a metric for filling your battery. A model X charging off the same connection would show an average of 35 ish "miles" shown, but both would be receiving the same amount of power from the wall connector.

A model Y performance has less range than a model Y long range, thus it uses more energy per mile, thus the car shows fewer miles filled up for a given amount of provided energy (this is what @LoudMusic ) said earlier.

Mine shows 43-44 because my voltage runs hot, so I am actually putting in slightly more power at 48 amps than you are:

Your stated charge is 48 amps times 239 volts (11,472 watts or 11.472kW) or 48 amps times 240 volts (11.520 kW).

Mine is 48 amps times 244 volts (11.712 kW).

240 volts is normal for home use, my home runs a little hot (I am close to my transformer, and also have powerwalls).

TL; DR = Nothing to fix, nothing is wrong, and looking at miles as a measure while trying to talk about power filling a battery can mislead you. Look at power, not miles.

As Tesla advertised, the electrician stated that the regular model Y's get 44 miles range per hour (running at 240V and drawing 48 amps). However, for some reason, his experience is that the Model Y Performance only gets 40 to 41 mph. Why is this the case when the battery packs are basically identical? Will Tesla have an update soon to address this? Only getting 40 mph makes much less sense to pay extra for the hardwired kit.

Getting upset or worried about 4 mph or less than 10% just isn't worth it. What is your daily commute? Is it more than 240 miles? That's what 6 hours at 40 mph gets you.

Don't assume that the number you get when you plug it in is the steady speed rate. The car needs to go to sleep before you see the max rate.

And yes, for 99.99% of the people paying for more isn't worth it. Even the mobile adapter at 32A is more than most needs.

I'm charging 2 cars, alternating the connection to a single 120V 15A plug. IT fits my needs.

My guess is that you are acting out of range anxiety, try to inject a little reality. How long is your commute? How long in the evening will the car have to charge? Derate your numbers by 20-30% for the winter.

i.e. Don't worry, Be Happy!

Reactions: pilotSteve
My guess is that you are acting out of range anxiety, try to inject a little reality. How long is your commute? How long in the evening will the car have to charge? Derate your numbers by 20-30% for the winter.

i.e. Don't worry, Be Happy!
Not range anxiety, just disappointed that I made the investment for the direct wire unit and install, and not getting the advertised rates. Before I was using a NEMA 14-50 outlet at 240/16 amps. I could of easily just purchased the $200 240/40A Tesla portable corded charger and got similar results at 35 mi/h with much less costs.

Not range anxiety, just disappointed that I made the investment for the direct wire unit and install, and not getting the advertised rates. Before I was using a NEMA 14-50 outlet at 240/16 amps. I could of easily just purchased the $200 240/40A Tesla portable corded charger and got similar results at 35 mi/h with much less costs.
So, it's not charging at 11.5 kW?

So you're getting more than the 38 mph/hr Tesla estimates for a MYP, what's the issue? And your source to challenge Tesla is some random "the electrician stated" or a non model specific chart that clearly shows "all charge speeds are approximate?" Really?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 10.16.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 10.16.26 AM.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Not range anxiety, just disappointed that I made the investment for the direct wire unit and install, and not getting the advertised rates. Before I was using a NEMA 14-50 outlet at 240/16 amps. I could have easily just purchased the $200 240/40A Tesla portable corded charger and got similar results at 35 mi/h with much less costs.
40A would give you like 32 mph charging. You are getting the advertised rate for your vehicle. You are just misunderstanding what it means.

STOP. MEASURING. CHARGE. RATE. BY. MPH.

Because people like the OP don’t understand what it means and it’s not a meaningful comparison since it varies with every car.

It’s like measuring the length of something by how many hands fit across it.
This also varies with different drivers. If I add 1kWh to the battery (after accounting for ~5% charging losses) I know that on average I can drive 3.75 miles in my 2020 Long Range Tesla Model Y (assuming 11kWh added to the battery in an hour for 41.25 miles). Another Tesla Model Y owner might be able to drive just 3.25 miles (11kWh in an hour for 35.75 miles) and a third might be able to drive 4.00 miles (11kWh in an hour for 44 miles). It is the same 11kWh added to the battery after 1 hour of charging. Famously, your mileage may vary.

This also varies with different drivers. If I add 1kWh to the battery (after accounting for ~5% charging losses) I know that on average I can drive 3.75 miles in my 2020 Long Range Tesla Model Y (assuming 11kWh added to the battery in an hour for 41.25 miles). Another Tesla Model Y owner might be able to drive just 3.25 miles (11kWh in an hour for 35.75 miles) and a third might be able to drive 4.00 miles (11kWh in an hour for 44 miles). It is the same 11kWh added to the battery after 1 hour of charging. Famously, your mileage may vary.

Or ... 3 miles ... :D

Man I go through tires fast :(

Reactions: 455dan
It seems like you're not reading/listening to what people are telling you.

The "actual" rate of charge is measured in kW. Not "miles per hour." Just like the amount of gas you put in an ICE car is measured in gallons, not miles, and (if you cared) the rate of filling up that car could be measured in gallons/second or gallons/minute, not "miles per minute". You're not putting miles in the car, you're putting energy into the car. As others have tried to say, about 6+ times now, "miles per hour" is just a ballpark/colloquial way of expressing a charging rate in a way that's easy for people to have some understanding of, but it's not a true unit of measurement for power delivery and thus is irrelevant to use in the way in which you're trying to use it.

Aside from what you might call the "normal efficiency rating" of a car/battery system in terms of range, there's also driving style/habits. The same amount of power delivered to the car will translate into different range when its consumed depending on a variety of factors — including how you drive it. Just like gas/ICE cars. You getting mad about this charging rate when you're looking at it in "miles per hour" is like getting mad at an ICE car's range estimate after you fill the tank, when you drive it like a bat out of hell and only get 60% of the estimated distance.