Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Didn't Tesla used to sell the mobile connector with the 14-50 plug built into it and would charge 40 miles per hour?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like I remember they used to sell it and it said it added 40 miles per hour as opposed to the regular mobile connector that will take all the outlet styles and it's only 30 mph with the 14-50 with it. I know it used to be on their site but can't find it anymore.

Tesla used to sell optional dual chargers on their earlier Model S. Later reduced to a single charger across the board.

People wanted them in case they came home with an empty battery and wanted to quickly go back out again. In reality this was rarely happening.

Superchargers bypass those invertors and dump DC voltage directly into the battery pack. Super fast and efficient.

Last edited:
Seems like I remember they used to sell it and it said it added 40 miles per hour as opposed to the regular mobile connector that will take all the outlet styles and it's only 30 mph with the 14-50 with it. I know it used to be on their site but can't find it anymore.

Yes, they sold with a 14-50 plug but I don't remember it supporting 40A charging.

However you are correct. There was a thread here about it:

I found the old URL https://shop.tesla.com/product/corded-mobile-connector. But it's now 404.

However, the web.archive.org Wayback machine has the page and the owner's manual.
It shows maximum output of 40A.

Specifications Reference
Description Specifications
Voltage
100-240 volt AC single-phase
Maximum Current Output
40A

The V1 UMC would support 40A, but the V2 UMC is 32A max.

One reason to do that is that a 6-50 or 14-50 socket only guarantees 32A. It can be used with a 40A breaker.

Tesla used to sell optional dual chargers on their earlier Model S. Later reduced to a single charger across the board.

People wanted them in case they came home with an empty battery and wanted to quickly go back out again. In reality this was rarely happening.

Not what they were asking about.

Last edited:
Yes, they sold with a 14-50 plug but I don't remember it supporting 40A charging.

One reason to do that is that a 6-50 or 14-50 socket only guarantees 32A. It can be used with a 40A breaker.

So it is possible I can find one of those used that will do 40A? I am surprised they did away with it.

Any reason to not want a gen 1?

However you are correct. There was a thread here about it:

I found the old URL https://shop.tesla.com/product/corded-mobile-connector. But it's now 404.

However, the web.archive.org Wayback machine has the page and the owner's manual.
It shows maximum output of 40A.

thanks for the info! i thought for sure it was on there before!

A Gen 1 mobile connector (that existed before the model 3 even was released) charged at 40AMPs (not 40 mph), vs 32 AMPS of the current gen 2 mobile connector.

So it is possible I can find one of those used that will do 40A? I am surprised they did away with it.

Any reason to not want a gen 1?
My 40 amp corded Mobile connector failed and started to overheat so YMMV. Might be why they discontinued it, but it was very rare to begin with to gather any sort of trend data regarding failures.

IMO not worth the hassle and price premium that people want for one just for the 8 amp difference. Just get a wall connector if you want higher power charging. If you need it to be portable then just live with 32 amp gen 2 UMC.

My 40 amp corded Mobile connector failed and started to overheat so YMMV. Might be why they discontinued it, but it was very rare to begin with to gather any sort of trend data regarding failures.

IMO not worth the hassle and price premium that people want for one just for the 8 amp difference. Just get a wall connector if you want higher power charging. If you need it to be portable then just live with 32 amp gen 2 UMC.
looking for portable but yes would like faster charging. and you are prob right about the failures and thats why they don't do that anymore.

i was thinking on the model 3 it showed the charge rates and it was 40 MPH. I could be wrong though.
Maybe not exactly 40MPH, but 37 is what's currently mentioned:

As far as the difference between 32A and 40A charging, it amounts to about 7MPH for a Model 3. So an "overnight" charge of 10 hours (ignoring any consideration for off-peak only charging), means 70 extra miles using a 40A setup (50A breaker w/Wall Connector).

Reactions: Blacktes24
I am thinking my 2023 M3 limits charging to 32 amps while using the UMC. It is the equipment in the car limiting the charge rate, not the mobile connector. There is no point in searching for a UMC with higher amp capacity.

To achieve 32 amp charging rate the wiring feeding the UMC requires a breaker of at least 40 amps.

The UMC I purchased has a 14-50 plug and a the common 5-15 plug.

In practice the 32 amp charging rate is very sweet. The car easily charges to full overnight.

Reactions: rpiotro
I am thinking my 2023 M3 limits charging to 32 amps while using the UMC. It is the equipment in the car limiting the charge rate, not the mobile connector. There is no point in searching for a UMC with higher amp capacity.

To achieve 32 amp charging rate the wiring feeding the UMC requires a breaker of at least 40 amps.

In practice the 32 amp charging rate is very sweet. The car easily charges to full overnight.

The only Tesla model 3s that will charge above 32Amps are the Long Range AWD and Performance models. None of the "Standard Range" models do. This OP, though, has a Model 3 Performance, so if they had charging equipment that could charge faster than 32amps the car could use it (up to 48amp charging).

The SR/RWD only has 32A OBC (onboard charger), but higher end models support faster speeds, plus some people may want to future-proof.

Similar things have happened to the 14-50 corded wall connector, which they also discontinued. It's possible whoever supplied the 14-50 cord to them supplied a subpar cord or perhaps their factory that manufactured it didn't do a good job of installing the cord.

There are plenty of non-Tesla 40 amp chargers out there that plug into a 14-50 outlet. If you go this route, please make sure that everything on your 14-50 connection is in excellent shape, i.e., no Leviton outlet, 8 gauge copper wire or larger for the circuit, and a 50 amp circuit breaker. Most will require use of the J1772 adapter that came with your car. Here's one for instance - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BP1GM7...YUCB5QH2M&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

looking for portable but yes would like faster charging. and you are prob right about the failures and thats why they don't do that anymore.
One reason the current mobile connector only does 32A is that 14-50 and 6-50 outlets may be connected to 40A (instead of 50A) circuits. For a portable EVSE plugged into a 14-50 or 6-50 outlet encountered while traveling, it is safer for it to do 32A (80% of 40A) in case the outlet is on a 40A circuit (or the circuit is not known whether it is 40A or 50A).