Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging and a NEMA 14-30 adapter for mobile charger ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently returned a 4 day rental '23 MYLR. The mobile connector was included but only with the standard outlet adapter. I picked up an adapter specifically for the Tesla adapter with a 14-30 plug on it so I could charge at home at a reasonable pace. For around town driving, it was more than enough and would charge in a few hours overnight. Even at a low level in the battery, it still recharged (to 90%) by the time I left in the morning. Conveniently, our electric dryer is located in the mudroom which also is adjacent to the garage; the cord was plenty long enough to reach the dryer outlet.

Assuming we buy a Tesla next, is there any disadvantage to continuing with this set up (other than the obvious of having to share one outlet for two devices - lots of unplugging)? I assume there is a charge time bonus to the wall connector or a 14-50 plug. But that doesn't seem like a must-do. I'm mainly thinking of charging cost or wear or any negative effects on the car's charger due to prolonged use of this system.

I'd likely have a separate solution put in eventually, but who knows when.

Higher amperage will be slightly more efficient (because the car will be turned on for less time for the amount of kWh put in) as well as faster. But the difference between 24A (on 14-30) and 32A (on 14-50) is not that much.

However, plugging and unplugging frequently can wear out the receptacle, eventually leading to worse contact, higher resistance, and more heat generation. If the 14-30 receptacle must be shared with a dryer, get a 14-30 switch splitter, probably something like this:

Sorry, I guess I could’ve worded that better. The plugging/unplugging was a temporary use for a rental. Of course, a long term solution would be a dedicated terminal, even (as others have pointed out) a “dryer buddy” etc.

My interest is mainly regarding the 14-30 vs 14-50 for a mobile connector, or even the wall connector. Are there any real disadvantages to using the 14-30 version? (E.g., takes 25% more time, is 15% less efficient, etc etc)

I also use a 14-30 with a 23 MYLR. It charges about 7% an hour so about 70% in 10 hours.

The time where you might want faster is if you have a time-of-use electricity plan and the cheap electricity time is shorter than your typical charging time need.

I usually only fill up 15-35% a day so I’d be fine even then. Even when I want to charge to 100% after a busy day as I get ready for a trip, 90% is still finished in time.

I looked through my charge history in Tessie and here are 3 deeper charges with actual times and kWh.
1712496090681.png

Reactions: Tcoma