Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why only 40 miles per hour on Gen 3 Tesla Wall Charger for MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meh.. I've never seen a gas gauge with gallons of gas left.. percentage or miles has always been how it's displayed

Your right, the gas gauge, emphasis on GAUGE shows amount basically as a percentage. Cars do INTERPRET that volume of gasoline into a RANGE in miles based on various things. I would say the main thing they use to convert that into a range would be past usage history of the individual vehicle...which would be why you would have two different values of RANGE in two different same make/model of vehicle between a "grandma" and someone who drives like a "bat out of hell"... Ohh but WAIT, guess what DOESN'T change between those two vehicles..ohh yes, the RATE at which the gasoline is pumped into the gas tank.

So you can go off into the weeds here about the interpretation aspect of all this and how different vehicles come up with their RANGE estimates, but that doesn't change the actual ENERGY(kWh or gallons of gasoline) flow rate INTO the vehicle(battery or gas tank).

Sorry if you don't understand still.

Edit...car crash continues... :)

Your right, the gas gauge, emphasis on GAUGE shows amount basically as a percentage. Cars do INTERPRET that volume of gasoline into a RANGE in miles based on various things. I would say the main thing they use to convert that into a range would be past usage history of the individual vehicle...which would be why you would have two different values of RANGE in two different same make/model of vehicle between a "grandma" and someone who drives like a "bat out of hell"... Ohh but WAIT, guess what DOESN'T change between those two vehicles..ohh yes, the RATE at which the gasoline is pumped into the gas tank.

So you can go off into the weeds here about the interpretation aspect of all this and how different vehicles come up with their RANGE estimates, but that doesn't change the actual ENERGY(kWh or gallons of gasoline) flow rate INTO the vehicle(battery or gas tank).

Sorry if you don't understand still.

Edit...car crash continues... :)
I have no idea what you're trying to say but I'll just say that I think the Tesla battery gauge is fine as it is

No.. You are mixing up charging speed mph (dependant on efficiency) with charging speed energy...

At the end of the day 10kw of power is pretty worthless if it's only getting you 1 mph it has EVERYTHING to do with the efficiency of the vehicle

Why should Britney from Laguna Beach care about a volt, amp, ohm, or mho? She only cares how long is it going to take and how far can I go
I believe derotam is trying to speak precisely ... which is to say, charging in the precise sense refers to the rate and units of energy put into the battery. The range aka "work" that can be done by that amount of charge is a step further and varies according to several factors and is obviously quite approximate.

But if we're trying to debate the fine details here, let's not call that approximate range what we are charging. We charge a set amount of kWh, and then we get an approximate useful range out of that kWh based on several other factors.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I believe derotam is trying to speak precisely ... which is to say, charging in the precise sense refers to the rate and units of energy put into the battery. The range aka "work" that can be done by that amount of charge is a step further and varies according to several factors and is obviously quite approximate.

But if we're trying to debate the fine details here, let's not call that approximate range what we are charging. We charge a set amount of kWh, and then we get an approximate useful range out of that kWh based on several other factors.

Problem is Britney is NOT charging a set amount of kWh.. she's just plugging it in for a few hours till she can get to Ken's house...

nah
she's charging only while AT Ken's house.
hence the speed concern

Correction... she's charging while at Ken's house but Barbie will be home any minute. Britney's commute home from Ken's is exactly 44 miles, and she's been charging for nearly an hour, however the car says it's gaining only 40 mph of charge.

Oh no... Barbie is walking in the door and Britney's Model Y Performance has *not* yet reached her desired state of charge. If only she had gotten the LR instead OR if she had just gone into service mode and falsely told the car that the wheels were smaller... then she wouldn't be getting pummeled by Barbie on rollerblades right now because the screen would say 44mph of energy instead of 40.

This is all your fault Elon. Now get back into the octagon and makes things right again.