Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla vehicles have so many issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this why some Tesla dealerships don’t allow customers to examine the car until after they pay for it? To keep customers from seeing quality issues? I saw a video where the customer was not allowed in the Tesla until after he paid for it. Usually, when buying a $50k - 100k vehicle you are allowed to examine it very closely and even test drive it. Only when you are satisfied is when you sign off and pay.
It's up to your luck and not to a posted policy.

If you got nice employees who love to ignore the corporate protocol, then yes, you can inspect the inside of your car prior to the payment.

I posted this in January:

Single data point:

My 2015 MS 85D has 167,000 miles and in nearly 8 years has never left me stranded.

replaced: 3 door handles (2 under warranty), passenger air bag(warranty—Takata), power steering bolts (warranty), HV battery heater, daughter card for the memory issues of the big screen, 12v battery, one set of summer tires and second set of Blizacs this winter……..that’s it!!!!

Still on my original brake pads! (Sadly front brake and rotors replaced at 169,000 miles😭)
My main battery has only lost about 7% capacity.

I’ve never had a more reliable car ever and I’ve owned lots including Fords, chevys, Subarus,Nissans, Lincolns,Olds, Pontiacs and Ramblers.

I don’t own a Tesla but interested in getting a new Model Y so I joined this forum. What is going on here? So many owners complaining about manufacturing issues with their new or not so old Teslas. Also it seems there are lots and lots of random things that Tesla isn’t doing right, uneven panel gaps, hard uncomfortable suspensions from last years Teslas, uneven paint jobs, random electrical and mechanical issues like frunk not closing properly, visual parking assist not working, phantom braking, steering wheels coming lose, new cars with bad wheel alignment, FSD not working right, etc… Me and my wife both own German cars which is supposed to be unreliable, my Mercedes only had one issue, seat weighing scale needing replacement after 50k and my wife has driven her Audi for 70k now, zero issues and only two recalls. My previous vehicle was a Kia drove it from new to 120k only had one issue, AC stopped working which cost me $800 to repair at the dealership. What’s up with Tesla? Are they really that bad at overlooking manufacturing issues, or are the customers just a picky bunch? It’s amazing how much pain customers are going through just to own a Tesla, and it ain’t cheap to buy or repair either.
Most people don’t have the problems you read about in the forums. If a few people have a problem, chances are that you’ll see it posted here. If you see an enormous number of posts with the same problem, then you might think perhaps there’s a problem and you’d want to find out what the fix is and whether it’s likely to affect the car you buy.

Some of us are a picky bunch. Some of us spent high five to low six figures on the car so it should work and if there’s a problem, it should be fixed. Know that Tesla customer support has been excellent at first when I got my car, then got much worse, now seems to be on the way up again. They’re expensive to fix but there’s not much to fix. No internal combustion engine, just a motor or two, or now perhaps three. It doesn’t even have a transmission, to go faster the motor(s) just spin faster. There’s no oil to change, no spark plugs, no real maintenance at all. You just charge and go. You buy tires every now and again but the car itself is simple and reliable.

Then there are software updates. Other cars you buy and drive them home and that’s the car you have until you buy the next one. Mine gets updates, new features, tuning of features, etc.

Then there are safety features. There’s no heavy engine up front so these cars crumple absorbing huge amounts of energy. You read the story about someone hitting a parked fire truck at highway speed. For me the story is how the driver suffered an ankle injury but was otherwise unhurt. That guy that tried to kill his family by driving off a cliff, they all survived. These cars are incredibly safe. Then there are the people that fall asleep with their autopilot on. Any other car will leave the roadway within a few seconds and a lot of those asleep at the wheel accidents are fatal. In general autopilot will keep the car on the road, will slow and stop if the car in front slows and stops. The guy that fell asleep survives, he doesn’t cross the centerline and take out a family traveling the other way.

I’m pretty much amazed. I’ve tried to be critical, especially with the CEO antics of late, but try as I might, my car is absolutely excellent.

I would pay attention to the forum posts but recognize the experiences reported by the posters are not typical of most of us.

If you want a more typical opinion, stop at any supercharger and go up to any Tesla owner and ask about their car. We’re a friendly bunch, and we’ll be honest with you. You’ll find most of us absolutely love our cars.

I don’t own a Tesla but interested in getting a new Model Y so I joined this forum. What is going on here? So many owners complaining about manufacturing issues with their new or not so old Teslas. Also it seems there are lots and lots of random things that Tesla isn’t doing right, uneven panel gaps, hard uncomfortable suspensions from last years Teslas, uneven paint jobs, random electrical and mechanical issues like frunk not closing properly, visual parking assist not working, phantom braking, steering wheels coming lose, new cars with bad wheel alignment, FSD not working right, etc… Me and my wife both own German cars which is supposed to be unreliable, my Mercedes only had one issue, seat weighing scale needing replacement after 50k and my wife has driven her Audi for 70k now, zero issues and only two recalls. My previous vehicle was a Kia drove it from new to 120k only had one issue, AC stopped working which cost me $800 to repair at the dealership. What’s up with Tesla? Are they really that bad at overlooking manufacturing issues, or are the customers just a picky bunch? It’s amazing how much pain customers are going through just to own a Tesla, and it ain’t cheap to buy or repair either.
Go to any forum focused on any car brand and you will find the same thing there. People use forums like this to complain about problems, but that means you are seeing a biased sample (not in the sense that the individuals are biased, just that people dont post when they dont have problems). I'm not saying that Tesla dont have problems, just that you cannot quantify them by looking at ANY forum (Tesla or otherwise). And in my case, after 4 years and 50,000 miles, my model 3 has had zero problems (though I did have the 12V battery replaced after 2.5 years as a precaution).

When you consume the news do you hear about the millions of Americans that go to work without incident, or do you hear about workplace violence? It is not newsworthy to report on normal occurances, only the outliers are of interest. Also, some post here for advice from more experienced owners. Of course there are the whiners (and fanboys) as there are on any iternet forum.

I have been told by the moderator(jrandomrin), I will be banned if I continue trolling, lol. I was asking legitimate questions, naturally when purchasing an expensive vehicle, you want bring up concerns to get feedback from real world owners. Well anyway, I will not be participating on this post, don't want to get banned. Thanks for your helpful replies. Im still undecided on a Tesla, but still interested.

Reactions: simplego and Sandor
Yes, some owners could open the car's doors before the payment, but those are exceptions without the corporation's knowledge.

I doubt you could test-drive that particular VIN before payment.

Try to buy a Tesla used car from the Tesla website and see whether you could do any of that.
I didn't drive it. I guess I could have, but I didn't even consider it while I was looking the car over!

What about Consumer Reports rating Tesla near the bottom for reliability, is that accurate?
No. Their metrics are screwed up. They equate an over-the-air update with having to take the car in to a dealer to get it fixed (or something like that). Their advertisers are very happy with this bias.

Tesla leads the pack in brand loyalty by a wide margin:

Personally, I have zero interest in going back to a non-Tesla. If you don't want to buy a Tesla then don't test drive a Tesla.

What about Consumer Reports rating Tesla near the bottom for reliability, is that accurate?
Can’t say. When I bought mine, Consumer Reports liked it so much that they had to alter their rating system. Mine is reliable. So Teslas have been all over the CR ratings system.

Go drive one.

If you aren’t sure, don’t get a Tesla. They are too expensive to buy if it isn’t the car you truly want. And there are other things, long trips take more time, routes need to factor in available chargers. If looking for reasons to be dissatisfied, you’ll find them. Me, I love the car, I don’t mind charging stops. I like the features. I can go to the mall and turn on the air conditioning well before going to the car, so no more sweltering 5-10 minute drive before the car slowly cools. It can be 100F and I can get into an already cooled 72F car.

It’s all in what you want, but if you aren’t absolutely sure you’re on board for the entire experience, don’t even think of getting one. It won’t be your current car with an electric motor, it’ll be very different, in some very good ways, and in some inconvenient ways.

And one other thing, if you have a family, I suggest you should not have an electric as your only vehicle. I’ll wind up a few of the Tesla devoted with this. Before jumping all over me about this, know that more than once it has taken a few minutes too get the Tesla going. It’s fine for me but if I was in a hurry with a sick child it would not be fine. The software is in a constant state of ‘beta’. If driving the family away from some sort of a disaster, you don’t want your only option to be a car that has limited range and can’t use readily available fuel.

Last edited:
All I heard was, I don’t own a Tesla and seems they have a lot of problems.

All mass production items are going to have issues somewhere along the way. Either this company will have electrical issues, that company will have ICE issues, safety issues, or something. If the perfect car was made and it never had any issues. That company would go out of business because nobody would replace their car.

You have to select the brand that is the best tool for your job. Do you travel across the country? I would suggest the car with the best seats and most comfortable ride. If you want instant torque, you might look at EV’s. If you want to do Smokey burnouts….buy something supercharged or turbocharged. You want to haul stuff, buy a truck. You will have a problem with all of them.

But get on any car forum and announce you don’t own one with the reference that they are overly problematic. What does that accomplish? If you end up buying one…you already convinced yourself they are nothing but trouble. So what is the point? Are you trying to convince people that own them and enjoy them, that they are problematic?

All I heard was, I don’t own a Tesla and seems they have a lot of problems.

All mass production items are going to have issues somewhere along the way. Either this company will have electrical issues, that company will have ICE issues, safety issues, or something. If the perfect car was made and it never had any issues. That company would go out of business because nobody would replace their car.

You have to select the brand that is the best tool for your job. Do you travel across the country? I would suggest the car with the best seats and most comfortable ride. If you want instant torque, you might look at EV’s. If you want to do Smokey burnouts….buy something supercharged or turbocharged. You want to haul stuff, buy a truck. You will have a problem with all of them.

But get on any car forum and announce you don’t own one with the reference that they are overly problematic. What does that accomplish? If you end up buying one…you already convinced yourself they are nothing but trouble. So what is the point? Are you trying to convince people that own them and enjoy them, that they are problematic?
What does it accomplish? It rattles cages, pulls chains, winds folk up and elicits replies thereby achieving its purpose.
It even has me breaking my own rule that trolls and nonsense should be ignored.

Here, the sun is shining, SWMBO is ready for a rural jaunt in our beautiful Y so, over and out.

• Funny
Reactions: carcrazyguy
What does it accomplish? It rattles cages, pulls chains, winds folk up and elicits replies thereby achieving its purpose.
It even has me breaking my own rule that trolls and nonsense should be ignored.

Here, the sun is shining, SWMBO is ready for a rural jaunt in our beautiful Y so, over and out.
I have been a member of many many, muscle car, mustang, Buick, truck, motorcycle and even rc car forums over the years. I have never seen so many “trolls” posting made up stuff about a product in my life! 🤣 Even the RC car forums get pretty ridiculous during Christmas and the time right after with people coming up with the most absolute non-sense. Fake issues and just for a lack of better terms….being dumb. But Tesla pages seem to take that to a new level. Whether it be competition from other EV’s and legacy automakers, just hardcore ICE people or whatever. I have never seen anything like what Tesla owners have to sort through. 🤣 I would bet 80-90% of the trolls would have a major eye opening experience with just a 5-10 minute test drive. Of course they are to proud to think on their own and just see for themselves. They can only spit out what ideas have been told to them or whatever spam that they read somewhere else. 🤣. That is an awesome life to live!

I have been a member of many many, muscle car, mustang, Buick, truck, motorcycle and even rc car forums over the years. I have never seen so many “trolls” posting made up stuff about a product in my life! 🤣 Even the RC car forums get pretty ridiculous during Christmas and the time right after with people coming up with the most absolute non-sense. Fake issues and just for a lack of better terms….being dumb. But Tesla pages seem to take that to a new level. Whether it be competition from other EV’s and legacy automakers, just hardcore ICE people or whatever. I have never seen anything like what Tesla owners have to sort through. 🤣 I would bet 80-90% of the trolls would have a major eye opening experience with just a 5-10 minute test drive. Of course they are to proud to think on their own and just see for themselves. They can only spit out what ideas have been told to them or whatever spam that they read somewhere else. 🤣. That is an awesome life to live!
Exactamundo! The Tesla Ones Club (UK) forum is on Face Book and consequently a safe harbour for several cerebrally challenged individuals.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: carcrazyguy