Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people are having connectivity issues?

Are you having connectivity issues?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening all. I have been having connectivity issues with my ‘18 Model S on MCU1 since October. Raised a service request and took about 5 days until a service technician from my local SC called me can explained the issue surrounding connectivity issues. It was explained that the issue occurs when exiting and entering different mast areas and certain masts the car cannot reconnect to. Huwai was mentioned as a potential issue however not sure how true this is. If that is the case surely all connectivity devises would have this issue? Phones, pads, other cars etc. This seems to be Tesla specific and for a car that relies on connectivity for so much of its functionality it’s a major flaw.
I contacted Tesla Customer care and was advised they are working on a resolution in the near future. That to me seems that it’s not high on their list.
How many people are encountering these connectivity issues and if it is a major quantity of owners then I suggest we file a claim through a reputable law firm to aid with leverage if this is not resolved shortly.

Reactions: IanMcL
I am having this issue locally but only recently noticed it as my car was in for repair for much of November. ARound my house it has LTE connection, and about 200m no connection at all. The switching mast explanation probably holds up, but as you say I can't really understand why there would be a Tesla-specific issue there...

Reactions: The_Kilt
The symptoms are strange. On a recent drive I couldn’t issue voice commands for a while due to ‘no connectivity’ but was able to make and receive phone calls through the screen. The map tiles were very slow to refresh with black ‘tiles’. The problems seem to be much more frequent than I’ve seen in the past.
Phone connectivity would work as your phone would have signal and connects through bluetooth. The specific issue is with the LTE/4G connectivity. as per @chwe response, mine works in the local area but as soon as you exit the mast for our area, it fluffs up. If you two wheel reset continously when you loose connectivity it will work in that specific area, but then drop back out when you move into the next area. Not good really considering most of the finctionality is connectivity based.

I should also add to the poll what vehicle you own. Mine is a 2018 Model S, if this is also true for model Y and 3, then my concerns regarding support for older vehicles is less.

Reactions: AndrewGR
I was having the same - then updated the Tesla app, removed my phone from the Tesla computer, paired it again, and no problems since. That is the second time I have needed to do that process to resolve problems. In 5 years. YMMV.

How much of the issues are related to the 3G switch off that is continuing?

Tesla changed the SIM in my car, I assume hoping to improve coverage but it isn't that much better. Still a lot of the grey boxes in the maps. They do seem to re-populate a bit quicker than before though.

Coverage is noticeably patchy. Strong signal at home. Drive up the road. None. It pops back periodically but it's not proper coverage.

I suspect a lot of the mobile networks haven't actually invested enough for the boom in mobile data as world +dog is now a YouTuber and constantly streaming their face in 4k.

Seems to me it'd be better to get everyone's tesla onto Starlink somehow then Tesla isn't beholden to anyone else for coverage.

yup. I do more or less every single drive. connection drops for 10-20 minutes or so. yesterday - whole day was no connectivity.
Model 3 LR, 2022.

Connectivity issues since November I suppose... Getting greyed maps every long drive whole december. On 17th of december I drove through whole Nottingham without any signal, all maps in grey panels.

I have raised ticked. a week ago. It is with "remote diagnostics team"

Yesterday checked the Service menu and it showed this interchanging:
- Network registration Searching for network
- Network registration Unregistered
- Network registration Denied.

1702979691379.png
1702979706818.png
1702979722837.png

whole week waiting remote diagnostics team to do anything.

However, today connection was present.

Last edited:
Reactions: hooky
The symptoms are strange. On a recent drive I couldn’t issue voice commands for a while due to ‘no connectivity’ but was able to make and receive phone calls through the screen. The map tiles were very slow to refresh with black ‘tiles’. The problems seem to be much more frequent than I’ve seen in the past.
because your calls go via your phone (via bluetooth) and not tesla's connection...

Yep. For the past few weeks every now and then the music will stop playing and I’ll notice the car has no LTE connection.
Doesn’t seem to be any particular pattern to it, happens in different locations and for different amounts of time. Guessing it’s a software issue. hasn’t been annoying enough to make a service appoinment yet.

Yep. For the past few weeks every now and then the music will stop playing and I’ll notice the car has no LTE connection.
Doesn’t seem to be any particular pattern to it, happens in different locations and for different amounts of time. Guessing it’s a software issue. hasn’t been annoying enough to make a service appoinment yet.
I contacted Tesla and they said it was a problem with EE (who they presumably use) and that they are working with them to get it fixed. Then they closed my ticket, which I thought was pretty cheeky - given it’s not fixed. It is happening to me almost every journey now, sometimes multiple times. It’s very annoying.

Reactions: boombap
I contacted Tesla and they said it was a problem with EE (who they presumably use) and that they are working with them to get it fixed. Then they closed my ticket, which I thought was pretty cheeky - given it’s not fixed. It is happening to me almost every journey now, sometimes multiple times. It’s very annoying.
They closed my original ticket in October and it still hasn’t been fixed. I have raised another ticket complaining again and waiting another response from Tesla customer service as we haven’t had proper connectivity for over two months now. Fine popping down the shops or doing the school run, but any longer and everything fails.

They closed my original ticket in October and it still hasn’t been fixed. I have raised another ticket complaining again and waiting another response from Tesla customer service as we haven’t had proper connectivity for over two months now. Fine popping down the shops or doing the school run, but any longer and everything fails.
When you have no connection - go into service menu, for antenna and record video. Attach as I did to the ticket