Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Does My Model X get so many Flat Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI, I'm in the Clearwater Florida area and I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed with my Model X flat tires.

I have a 2020 Model X, and for the first couple years I only had one flat. Now I've had 6 flats in 7 months.

Every time I replace a tire with Tesla it's another $500 each, plus hours (or days) of downtime and lost time.

The service centers said it was alignment issues. So I've gotten 4 alignments. The latest alignment and tire check was at the St Pete center a few days ago, in preparation for a trip to Disney World.

Well...it didn't do any good. Yesterday I woke up at our AIR B&B to drive the family to Disney, and saw the front left tire was completely flat. The kids were so upset. Now, I'm delayed an entire day waiting for a replacement.

Tesla does not have a solution. Actually, nobody really seems to care enough to research an answer.

I was the biggest Tesla FSN. I have a solar roof and battery, and a Model X. But I'm disillusioned and can no longer recommend Tesla. I would feel terrible if someone had an accident driving these defective Tesla Model X

I will have to rent a different type of car (definitely not a Tesla) on our family mountain trip to Ashville NC. I can't risk tires blowing out in the mountains at night.

Overall, very bad experience with Tesla..

Any Tesla Drivers out there figure out a workaround?

Jay, I see you joined TMC just yesterday. Welcome.

As to your problems can you tell us the problem with each flat? Was it road hazard (nail, screw, etc in the tire)? Was it that all the air in the tire went out and when u tried to pump it back up it's didn't hold air?

You also said "All 4 tires have blown. Usually a tire is flat after I leave the car in the garage, or park it somewhere. The Orlando Tesla shop could not even tell me why it was flat, as the tire was completely destroyed. "

Jay, were here to help but your statements sound outlandish and unbelievable like "the tire was completely destroyed" and this was just from parking it in your garage???

I'm sorry but your claims are too far fetched.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0
So much wrong with what you’re saying.
  • There is no such thing as a Tesla tire. Tesla doesn’t make tires, never has, never will. For that matter, none of the car manufacturers make their own tires.
  • Something is wrong with where you drive that you get so many flats.
  • Never buy tires from a Tesla service center. The same brand cost more and doesn’t have a warranty. Buy tires from a tire shop that gives a road hazard warranty. You can’t do better than Discount Tire.
  • The reason a Service Center doesn’t have you tire in stock is because they really don’t sell tires. It’s a sideline. The big tire store chains usually have your tire, it not, they get them the same day.
  • You get a front end alignment every couple of weeks? I find that hard to believe. I get an alignment every couple of years.
Thanks for taking the time to reply:

1. By "Tesla Tire" I am referring to the Continental that they insist I buy in order to be eligible for their Roadside service.

2. I understand that it's easier to blame the driver or the terrain rather than the Tesla vehicle iitself. But after driving in literally the exact same geographical area for 20 years in Toyotas with only 2-3 flats TOTAL (could be less), I have no doubt it is not the terrain, it's not my driving and it's not vandalism. It's the car.

3. This is good advice. I will have another tire store supply my tires and get a road hazard warranty. Discount Tire is 50 miles away. Is that a reasonable distance in your opinion?

4. I mis-wrote- I meant to say I get an alignment every couple months. Maybe it stretches to 3 months. I got one 3 days before this current blowout.

I've seen on forums many other Tesla drivers echo my complaints. I've talked to Tesla Roadside Techs who tell me the same thing. This is an issue they need to address, as they won't have me as a customer again.

Upvote 0
Jay, I see you joined TMC just yesterday. Welcome.

As to your problems can you tell us the problem with each flat? Was it road hazard (nail, screw, etc in the tire)? Was it that all the air in the tire went out and when u tried to pump it back up it's didn't hold air?

You also said "All 4 tires have blown. Usually a tire is flat after I leave the car in the garage, or park it somewhere. The Orlando Tesla shop could not even tell me why it was flat, as the tire was completely destroyed. "

Jay, were here to help but your statements sound outlandish and unbelievable like "the tire was completely destroyed" and this was just from parking it in your garage???

I'm sorry but your claims are too far fetched.

Again, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for your reply.
I am not a mechanic or a car expert so I may not be using the correct descriptors.

1. You are welcome to contact my St
Pete Tesla Service center and Tampa service center and verify every one of my "Far Fetched" claims. If you're truly interested.

2. You are also welcome to speak to my adult children who've been impacted by these flats. Happy to give you their phone numbers. I also have 2 smaller children, so you'll have to take my word that they weren't happy being stranded in Orlando this weekend while the tire was flat.

3. Yes, I will repeat what I said (since you enjoy quoting me): Yeaterday when I asked the Orlando area Eatonville Tesla Ssrvice center rep WHY this tire had gone flat, he said the tire was too damaged to know for sure. I have 4 witnesses who heard him say this.

4. Here are more specifics for you regarding tires going flat after parking somewhere or leaving it in my garage:
A. I drove to Orlando Thursday evening for 90 minutes along a relatively smooth highway (I-4 East). This was 3 days after a Tire Alignment and tire check at the St Pete Tesla shop. I parked at our Air BnB and exited the car with wife and 2 children. Next morning when we went to the car to go to Disney, the front left tire was completely flat. Happy to send you a photo.
B. On 2 (TWO) separate occasions I went to drive my car in the morning after it was sitting in my home garage all night and I had a notice on my dash board that pressure was too low. I called Roadside and they came to tow the car as the tire was flat. This is what I'm referring to when I said I left the car and came back to a flat.
C. I drove to a health center to get a treatment and when I returned to the car 45 minutes later the tire was flat. The Roadside Tech gave me a loaner tire. He also told me that he has seen many other Tesla cars with the same issue. Funny, but I don't recall him saying their issues were farfetched.

5. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY TIRES HAS GONE FLAT AT LEAST ONCE IN THE PAST 7 MONTHS. IVE HAD 6 FLATS. THAT MEANS EVEN THE REPLACEMENTS ARE GOING FLAT. I ONLY BUY TIRES FROM TESLA.

6. I am 62 and drive very safely. I've driven over the same geography for the past 24 years, and never had a tire issue with my previous cars (mostly Toyotas). This only started happening within the past 6-7 months in my Model X. I had no major tire issues the first 2 years I had this car.

I own a Tesla solar roof and battery so I was a big Tesla fan. But this whole experience, coupled with responses like yours, have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Upvote 0
Might just be a string of bad luck. Tesla does not make the tires. They do extensive testing to determine which tire they will put on their vehicles, but tire warranties are not incluced in the car warranty.
From time to time, Tesla changes the original fittment tires.
Understand your frustration, but hard to accept that these flats have been caused by Tesla.

Upvote 0
Wow. I’ve read all Jay’s posts, and it doesn’t make much sense that he’s had such bad luck with his tires.

Question for Jay: are there many new construction sites near where you live? Nails falling off dumpster trucks near construction sites might be causing your issues.

I’ve never come back to my car to find it has a “flat tire” or a blow out. Sure, I’ve picked up nails like anyone else, but I’ve always managed to be able to get it to the tire shop to get it repaired before it went flat.

And I have a cheap air pump from Walmart I use about once a month to maintain air pressure. I haven’t found it necessary to get any alignments done. I don’t live near a Tesla Service Center or a Discount Tire, but my local tire dealer can get any brand of tires.

Once, I did have a defective tire valve that created a slow leak. I found I had to top up the air pressure about once a week in that one tire. Replacing the stem fixed it. My local tire dealer did that.

Reactions: Jay Kamhi
Upvote 0
HI, I'm in the Clearwater Florida area and I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed with my Model X flat tires.

I have a 2020 Model X, and for the first couple years I only had one flat. Now I've had 6 flats in 7 months.

Every time I replace a tire with Tesla it's another $500 each, plus hours (or days) of downtime and lost time.

The service centers said it was alignment issues. So I've gotten 4 alignments. The latest alignment and tire check was at the St Pete center a few days ago, in preparation for a trip to Disney World.

Well...it didn't do any good. Yesterday I woke up at our AIR B&B to drive the family to Disney, and saw the front left tire was completely flat. The kids were so upset. Now, I'm delayed an entire day waiting for a replacement.

Tesla does not have a solution. Actually, nobody really seems to care enough to research an answer.

I was the biggest Tesla FSN. I have a solar roof and battery, and a Model X. But I'm disillusioned and can no longer recommend Tesla. I would feel terrible if someone had an accident driving these defective Tesla Model X

I will have to rent a different type of car (definitely not a Tesla) on our family mountain trip to Ashville NC. I can't risk tires blowing out in the mountains at night.

Overall, very bad experience with Tesla..

Any Tesla Drivers out there figure out a workaround?
Most tire manufacturers will have a road hazard/defect warranty. I went to Continental & filled out the paperwork with tire data & purchase info for each tire on my 2019 MX. Worth a try.

Also, locally in Florida, the Discount Tire store will fix them for free, IF you don't try to fix/plug it yourself. Ask me how I know.

Upvote 0
Lol, both flats in your driveway, I experience the same thing with my Model X. I'm ultra careful driving, and I blamed myself at first. But after 6 flats, I know it's not me. As a manufacturer of high quality toys, I still have a small detective rate, and I dont blame it on the customer. Wish Tesla had the same attitude.
As others have noted, use Discount Tire, but also look at switching tire brands. I've had no problems with Michelin Pilot Sport for years (and have NEVER had a flat on my Tesla).

Upvote 0
Jay, thank you for your response.

I can not come up with a logical explanation for your tire difficulties on a 2020 X. With your luck it may be time to buy a scratch-off or a lotto ticket.

How many miles is on the car now?

I know this is a pain but can you provide pictures of each of the tires on the car now? Try to frame the picture to include the whole tire.

If you get into another spot where you need a NEW tire I would search out a local dealer that is recommended in your area. At least with them you will get their, and the mfgrs, warranty on the tire. Cheaper too I'll bet. Also on new tires don't get sucked into buying the foam inserted tires. Save your $$ and skip the foam.

BTW, no need to talk to the kids. I believe you, it's just sounds far fetched... I mean the odds are astronomical!

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing your experience. By chance are there any cracks in any of your rims? Leaks from the valve stem?

Also any evidence of sabotage? Otherwise it seems like you may just have very bad luck.
Hmm...I've never checked for cracks in my rims or leaks in my valve stems. I'm not very technical but I'll bring this point up to the tire store when I visit. Thank you for your advice.

Upvote 0
Jay, thank you for your response.

I can not come up with a logical explanation for your tire difficulties on a 2020 X. With your luck it may be time to buy a scratch-off or a lotto ticket.

How many miles is on the car now?

I know this is a pain but can you provide pictures of each of the tires on the car now? Try to frame the picture to include the whole tire.

If you get into another spot where you need a NEW tire I would search out a local dealer that is recommended in your area. At least with them you will get their, and the mfgrs, warranty on the tire. Cheaper too I'll bet. Also on new tires don't get sucked into buying the foam inserted tires. Save your $$ and skip the foam.

BTW, no need to talk to the kids. I believe you, it's just sounds far fetched... I mean the odds are astronomical!
Haha the lottery ticket made me smile. That's good to know about the foam. I had heard it made the ride more quiet. Attached find pics. First 2 are front and back driver side. Second 2 are front and back passenger side.

I appreciate your interest.

Attachments

• 17070820860386537012842538725834.jpg
    17070820860386537012842538725834.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 17070821359428038100602916031244.jpg
    17070821359428038100602916031244.jpg
    751.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 17070821528401468895120911331739.jpg
    17070821528401468895120911331739.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 17070821903695796498481587512394.jpg
    17070821903695796498481587512394.jpg
    868.3 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0
Wow. I’ve read all Jay’s posts, and it doesn’t make much sense that he’s had such bad luck with his tires.

Question for Jay: are there many new construction sites near where you live? Nails falling off dumpster trucks near construction sites might be causing your issues.

I’ve never come back to my car to find it has a “flat tire” or a blow out. Sure, I’ve picked up nails like anyone else, but I’ve always managed to be able to get it to the tire shop to get it repaired before it went flat.

And I have a cheap air pump from Walmart I use about once a month to maintain air pressure. I haven’t found it necessary to get any alignments done. I don’t live near a Tesla Service Center or a Discount Tire, but my local tire dealer can get any brand of tires.

Once, I did have a defective tire valve that created a slow leak. I found I had to top up the air pressure about once a week in that one tire. Replacing the stem fixed it. My local tire dealer did that.
Appreciate your feedback. There was actually a construction site which I could conceivably see being the culprit. But after that, I re-routed to avoid this area.

I will get an airpump as you suggest. What do you think is the ideal tire pressure? They set it at 50 psi when driving on this last visit.

Upvote 0