Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2023 whompy wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kvk1

Jul 13, 2023
Belgium
Hello TMC community,

I am writing to share a rather disconcerting experience I've had with my Model X, which I've only had for about a month and a half. While I was initially thrilled with my purchase, a recent incident has left me feeling very unsettled.

After noticing some instability and wobbling while driving, I recorded a video of the car struggling to maintain a straight line (attached to this thread). In the video, you can hear a sudden distinctive crackling sound (around second 12) that seemed to emanate from the left rear passenger area. Despite promptly reporting this issue via the Tesla app, I received no response.

The next day, while driving on the highway, the car felt as if it was undulating like a waterbed. I attempted adjusting the suspension settings to no avail. Then suddenly, the left rear tire lost pressure and went completely flat.

The tow truck driver pointed out that both rear tires appeared severely worn out, as if they had been used for years. He mentioned that just the week before, he had towed another refresh Model X which had a wheel come off, resulting in the car losing control.

Fast forward a month, the communication from Tesla has been terrible. Initially, they chalked it up to a flat tire but soon realized that there was a more serious underlying issue with the chassis. In the meantime, they've provided me with a Model Y LR as a replacement car, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had the audacity to charge me for this.

I have been a Tesla fan for years, had convinced many of my friends and family to buy a Tesla, but I'm really let down by the poor service and lack of communication. After 2 years of eager anticipation for this car and the planned summer road trips, it's all now in limbo. And frankly, I am not sure if I feel safe driving this car with replaced rear tires at high speeds anymore (my wife is german and we often make road trips on the German Autobahn to visite her friends and relatives).

I'm curious to know if any other owners of the refreshed Model X have run into similar problems?
Does anyone have experience/success with filing an official complaint?
Can I consider requesting a new car, or perhaps pay the differential to upgrade to a Model X Plaid?

Thank you all in advance for your help and input!
-Karel

Hi @kvk1 ,

Welcome to TMC...

Sorry you are having this problem with your Model X.

The problem I seen in your video is what we used to call "ping ponging."
The car bounced or wandered between the lane lines.

Some things to try:

Under Service Menu > Camera Calibration
It will take a while - up to 100 miles to calibrate the cameras...
With the cameras poorly calibrated the car has trouble seeing the edge of the road.

Alignment is critical for the automatic steering to function properly...
Unfortunately the alignment from the factory is not quite good enough.
Go to your Service Center for an alignment.
You will PAY for this service... BUT it is a necessary service...

These items should help your car to stay centered without the ping ponging...

Another service problem to be aware of is the camber setting on the rear wheels...
It is set that the outside edges of the tires can wear prematurely...
Keep a close eye on the tread of your rear tires.

Shawn

Reactions: 88cardhouse
Hi @kvk1 ,

Welcome to TMC...

Sorry you are having this problem with your Model X.

The problem I seen in your video is what we used to call "ping ponging."
The car bounced or wandered between the lane lines.

Some things to try:

Under Service Menu > Camera Calibration
It will take a while - up to 100 miles to calibrate the cameras...
With the cameras poorly calibrated the car has trouble seeing the edge of the road.

Alignment is critical for the automatic steering to function properly...
Unfortunately the alignment from the factory is not quite good enough.
Go to your Service Center for an alignment.
You will PAY for this service... BUT it is a necessary service...

These items should help your car to stay centered without the ping ponging...

Another service problem to be aware of is the camber setting on the rear wheels...
It is set that the outside edges of the tires can wear prematurely...
Keep a close eye on the tread of your rear tires.

Shawn
Thanks Shawn for your valuable advice!
I called the service center yesterday. They had replaced both rear tires and were just in the proces of aligning. half an hour later, they called me with the message that they still noticed an abnormal vibration during their test drive, which they would have to further examine next week. So we’re back to zero..

Thanks Shawn for your valuable advice!
I called the service center yesterday. They had replaced both rear tires and were just in the proces of aligning. half an hour later, they called me with the message that they still noticed an abnormal vibration during their test drive, which they would have to further examine next week. So we’re back to zero..
what was the ultimate cause of your issue?

They didn’t know either. It took 6 weeks, and in the end they changed all four wheels and had someone come over from a different service center to re-align the wheels again. I’ve driven 6000km since then and haven’t had any issues anymore.

HI, I'm in the Clearwater Florida area and I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed with my Model X flat tires.

I have a 2020 Model X, and for the first couple years I only had one flat. Now I've had 6 flats in 7 months.

Every time I replace a tire with Tesla it's another $500 each, plus hours (or days) of downtime and lost time.

The service centers said it was alignment issues. So I've gotten 4 alignments. The latest alignment and tire check was at the St Pete center a few days ago, in preparation for a trip to Disney World.

Well...it didn't do any good. Yesterday I woke up at our AIR B&B to drive the family to Disney, and saw the front left tire was completely flat. The kids were so upset. Now, I'm delayed an entire day waiting for a replacement.

Tesla does not have a solution. Actually, nobody really seems to care enough to research an answer.

I was the biggest Tesla fan. I have a Tesla solar roof and battery, and a Model X. But I'm disillusioned and can no longer recommend Tesla. I would feel terrible if someone had an accident driving these defective Tesla Model X cars.

I will have to rent a different type of car (definitely not a Tesla) on our family mountain trip to Ashville NC. I can't risk tires blowing out in the mountains at night.

Overall, very bad experience with Tesla..

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark