Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people are having connectivity issues?

Are you having connectivity issues?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the modem replaced yesterday - absolutely no loss of connectivity on the way home now and no longer needing to tether to my phone.
The saving going via the SOS function as the attack point was around £150 which was considerable IMO - a third off - as I am out of warranty.
Modem could be replaced yourself - assuming a level of competency and has a part cost of around £80+VAT - toolbox/coding was not required according to the tech I spoke to, it's a separate plugin card that goes on the MCU - bit like a PC expansion card.

Anecdotally, while speaking with the engineer in the coffee/waiting room on pickup another customer piped up and asked if that would fix his issue too - Model Y with intermittent connectivity issues being his fault - so this issue is still very much out there beyond us "nerds" who gather on the internet to bitch about it :D
What model do you have and which MCU? A friend of mine has an X that gets no signal at all, since he has had it. This could be his issue.

After 3 weeks of no problems, back to square one today. Lost connection at least 4 times on a two hour drive.
Yeah I don't want to jinx it but I've had a few Apple Music streaming issues the last week or so. I guess so many things can contribute to apparent connectivity issues it's a bit whack a mole trying to figure it out. Apple Music does seem bad at pre fetching or buffering the next track, so might just be bad luck for me at the exact moment it was trying to move on in the tracklist.

Wi-Fi acting up here too. It seems to lose my home WiFi details altogether when I select my phone hotspot. Not that it matters much, I haven’t gone back to premium since the issues started and hotspot is working ok now I have figured out its quirks
If you always use the hotspot...Set your hotspot details exactly same as home network. When you drive away it "should" seamlessly flip. Use some app like Carspot to turn hotspot on & off.

What model do you have and which MCU? A friend of mine has an X that gets no signal at all, since he has had it. This could be his issue.

Model 3 Performance - 2019. Not sure how you check the MCU version TBH.
But what I did was enter service mode. and look at the connectivity page - How many people are having connectivity issues?

There was no response from the modem when doing the tests either.
1708260377435.png

Just got a 2017 Model S a month ago and have experienced this issue since day one. Rebooting the screen seems to help but I've had to do that a couple of times a week which is annoying. Otherwise it's an amazing car and I'm new to this forum so glad (sorry) to see I'm not the only one and it's unlikely a problem with my car.

Phone connectivity would work as your phone would have signal and connects through bluetooth. The specific issue is with the LTE/4G connectivity. as per @chwe response, mine works in the local area but as soon as you exit the mast for our area, it fluffs up. If you two wheel reset continously when you loose connectivity it will work in that specific area, but then drop back out when you move into the next area. Not good really considering most of the finctionality is connectivity based.

I should also add to the poll what vehicle you own. Mine is a 2018 Model S, if this is also true for model Y and 3, then my concerns regarding support for older vehicles is less.
My 2016 S has these issues.

The update finally came through last night...Took the kids to school this morning and spotify played two songs then would skip or select anything else. go to the home screen for spotify and stating cannot connect....Not the update we were hoping for. How long can this go on for as this has been hapening since October. There must be some course of action we can take to resolve this?

Motorway run yesterday and there was only one blank map issue which was of course when trying to change route mid journey.

Seems a lot better. Coverage is still a bit weak but there's not as many rolling white map squares as there was. Still too much routing without traffic data.

The update finally came through last night...Took the kids to school this morning and spotify played two songs then would skip or select anything else. go to the home screen for spotify and stating cannot connect....Not the update we were hoping for. How long can this go on for as this has been hapening since October. There must be some course of action we can take to resolve this?
As you know Tesla engineering are aware of the issues but as can be seen from this thread, there isn't an obvious cause. The more data they have the quicker it will be fixed so the correct course of action for the moment is for everyone affected to raise a service request including timestamp(s) of when it happens. The more they get, the higher up the list the issue will be and the more chance there is of a resolution.
I can't see threatening to take them to court is going to get it resolved any sooner, but that's just my opinion.

What I would also say is that the network operators such as EE are prone to making changes without informing their customers, even a big customer such as Tesla. I built a system a few years ago which used the AT&T mobile network . We had 50 or so GPS trackers reporting their positions back in real time. This was done for a sporting event held once a month or so at various locations and one weekend all the trackers just stopped communicating. Complete blackout for the entire weekend. We eventually found out from the SIM provider that AT&T had made a network change which required new SIMs. At least I could blame someone else 😁

I'd also add that I think you need to gather more data than just which model of car it might be happening to. I'm discussing a different software issue with Tesla currently and I've narrowed it down to Intel Atom based cars, so I've done some of the work for them up front in the hope that will help them find the problem faster.

So maybe look in addition to car model:
1. Which MCU
2. Is it repeatable i.e. is there a specific location you can drive through where it happens repeatedly
3. Timestamps when it happens (start and end of comms loss)

There are apps you can download for your phone which will show you mast information such as signal strength, provider and which one your phone is connected to. It may help to cross reference that info with what can be seen in the service menu. SignalCheck Pro is one I use.
If your phone is in a comms black spot, there's a chance the car will be too.

Last edited: