Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What If Tesla Announces Model 3 Tomorrow, Who Will Order?

Will you get the Model 3?

• I will get the Model 3 because I loved owning the Roadster

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • I will get the Model 3 because I loved owning the Model S

Votes: 75 26.6%
  • I will get the Model 3 because the Model S is way to high to be sensible

Votes: 91 32.3%
  • I will get the Model 3 to support Tesla as a company

Votes: 51 18.1%
  • I won't ge a Model 3 because I love my Model S and don't need another car

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • I won't get the Model 3 for another reason (state reason in post)

Votes: 22 7.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Won't get the Model 3 sedan, because we are already about to be a "full house" Tesla family-- Roadster, Model S, Model X.

If/when there is a Gen III smaller AWD SUV, we might well sell the Model X and downsize that element of the trifecta. The Model X is bigger than we need, and the "D" will be faster than we need.

Personally, I would have answered "I will get the Model 3 because that's the car I really want" if that were an option...

I don't particularly like big cars (my wife's outback is the top end of what I consider reasonable). Big cars are harder to park, I don't have a bunch of kids, and I have a pickup for hauling stuff. Plus, size = weight, and weight is the enemy of handling, acceleration, braking, and general fun-to-drive factor. Yes, the MS counters that well, but if you shrunk the MS by 20%, it would be that much more awesome (IMHO).

Currently, I have a pickup for hauling stuff, Home Depot runs, towing boats, etc. My commuter car/fun-to-drive car is a Mini Cooper S. I also have a 911 track/weekend toy.

I'd replace the Mini with an AWD, performance Model 3 in a heartbeat (I was ready to put down a deposit last night on the remote chance it was offered). Instead, I'll probably replace it soon with a used/demo/loaner Model S, drive that for 3 years or so, and trade for a Model 3. If I don't like the 3, maybe I'll swap for a new S85D and keep it for 12 years.

Either way, I'm not buying a new Model S with the expectation of trading for a Model 3 in 3 years, as I don't particularly want to eat the $40k depreciation. I'm the kind of person who keeps cars until they fall apart, vs new every 2-3 years.

We'd have zero interest in a Model 3. Party due to the lower cost, other than for those who prefer a smaller car, the Model S should be better in just about every way. I'd rather buy a 2 year old Model S than a brand new Model 3.
I see no reason why a performance version of the 3 couldn't put down better numbers than even the P85D, which is more of a luxury-performance sedan. Among others, BMW has already set the precedence of a smaller model outperforming a larger model (think M3 vs. top line 7-series), so it's not an unheard of hierarchy.

I would consider purchasing a Model 3 with AWD, but my first choice will be to acquire a used Model X because its larger size would be nicer for our family.

Also, if a used Tesla vehicle with AWD already has a bit of cosmetic damage, so much the better! (We park outdoors under pine and cedar trees that constantly leave little droplets of sap on our LEAF; thankfully, the LEAF is a cheap enough car that I don't really care so much.)

Among others, BMW has already set the precedence of a smaller model outperforming a larger model (think M3 vs. top line 7-series), so it's not an unheard of hierarchy.
It only applies to the 7-series because there is no "M7" (closest thing is the alpina B7). However, the M3 vs M5 still keeps the hierarchy, even though BMW can easily make an M3 that outperforms the M5.

Same thing with the C63 vs the E63.

More on topic: I'm planning on a Model 3 because even if a Model S fits my budget (a used one might, a new one definitely not), it's too big to work with city parking (there's plenty of spaces it won't fit into).

Last edited:
my garage is heated and wired and ready to go. hopping the model 3 has 110" to 112" wheelbase and interior room the same as mb e class, or bmw 5 series. c class and lexus is are to small and tesla model s to big. i wont put money down on anything until i can sit in it or know the dimensions. hoping for the best, i sure would like to have a tesla in my garage.

I might get one, so I could put my Roadster away for the winter...to do this though, I would prefer to have a better idea as to when the new roadster is coming out ...both of my (adult) children are interested in a Model III...of course, they'll have to buy their own, but I hope I could get them a preferential spot on the waiting list...

my garage is heated and wired and ready to go. hopping the model 3 has 110" to 112" wheelbase and interior room the same as mb e class, or bmw 5 series. c class and lexus is are to small and tesla model s to big. i wont put money down on anything until i can sit in it or know the dimensions. hoping for the best, i sure would like to have a tesla in my garage.
I don't have the official dimensions, of course... But considering that it has an electric drivetrain, and will be competing against the BMW 3-Series, this is what I would guess to be the size:
COMPARISON OF DIMENSIONS

Model ☰
BMW 3-Series
Model S
Length
Wheelbase
Height
Width
Track (front)
Track (rear)
Curb Weight
So, compared to the Model S, the Model ☰ would roughly work out as: Overall length should be easy to shorten, though you'd likely lose the ability to have a rear facing third row. Cabin size can be maximized, by using a longer wheelbase, with shorter overhangs. Height would probably be about the same, though it would be a little wider than its contemporaries. A wide stance would give an aggressive look while allowing for stability and traction. Weight would go down overall by roughly 1,000 lbs.

It is likely that my partner and I will buy the III as a second car. It is possible that by 2017 there will be such advances that we might sell the P85 and use the III for road trips too. More likely that the III will be for daily in-city and we'll keep the P85 for road trips. I have enjoyed my BMW 3-series so the III seems likely to be our choice for a second EV.

I also voted "I will get the Model 3 because the Model S is way to high to be sensible" in lieu of the option:

"I will get the Model 3 because that's the vehicle I really want".

Model S/X are too big for me (on the outside anyway) and I don't want to pay that much for something that isn't closer to my ideal: beautiful, fun, high performance, AWD hatchback with upwards of 300 miles range in a reasonable size. Reasonable size: plenty of leg and headroom in front and back seats for 6'4" like me, plus room for multiple bikes, and other similar outdoor gear. (Vehicles like the LEAF and RAV4 EV easily accomplish the reasonable size requirements but lack in other regards. Hey, but they have plenty of cupholders.)
:D

Last edited:
I love polls but I didn't participate as no option is quite appropriate for me. I've never owned a Tesla, but a Tesla will almost certainly be my next car. However, I can't say yet whether it will be an S, X, or 3. It still depends on so many different factors. I'll probably be looking to buy 2 years from now.

Not a good poll.

I expect to get the Model 3 because it seems like it should be the right car for my needs. I could be disappointed. I plan to keep my Roadster. Model S is just too much car for my needs. Model X would just be further on the too big side.

Remember that Tesla is about making great cars which happen to be electric. It needs to be a great car first, electric second. If Model 3 isn't a great car, it will not succeed.

I won't commit until I see what I'm getting and for what price. I stared really hard at the S40, but couldn't make myself spend that much on a car, no matter how wonderful...then they pulled it and the Model S became impossible. Then Toyota threw $16k in incentives at the Rav4 EV, and I had my LEAF replacement. My "Tesla Jr." has been great, 120+ miles of real world range, very comfortable, and more torque than is really prudent on that platform. I may keep it a long time, but I really wish it had DC charging. I noticed that Tony Williams has announced a second round of orders for his CHAdeMO kit, and I may consider it, although I'm still leery about adding such a thing to a leased car with an unproven track record. I'd hate to end up eating an expensive repair because Toyota assumes the add-on caused the problem.

Anyway, to bring it back to the Model 3, if the price to me really is mid-30K, it has respectable range, and supercharging, I'll be all over that bad boy when my Rav lease is up. If it's over 40K, I will need some convincing that it will be a solid, long-term performer. The LEAF and the Rav have been the most expensive cars I've ever bought, and I'm not sure I really want to go higher. The LEAF turned out to be a lease-only vehicle (battery degradation too severe) and went back to Nissan. The Rav will probably be worth a significant amount more than it's residual when the lease ends, but I'm not sure if I want to keep it personally. If the Model 3 looks like a BEV that I can put 200K miles on, that would be a big, big plus...I'm tired of leasing. I hope Tesla keeps an eye towards making repair costs reasonable so that middle class people can afford to own it. I also plan to watch the Model S resale market to see if an S60 can come down to a level I could consider, but I expect that even the crappiest ones will stay over 50K for a long time.

Last edited: